Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Nigel Tufnel

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

:toot:

I say we continue the GBS photo contest; as a Dorkroom lurker the overall skill there can be a little intimidating, especially in the challenge threads. Let's keep it casual and see how it goes.

The theme: w i d e

"Aspect ratio" is the proportional relationship between an image's width and height. You'll be familiar with 16:9 (aka 1.78:1), that's standard widescreen for TVs and computer monitors. Old CRTs were usually 4:3. 35mm film and most digital camera sensors (including phone cameras) are 3:2.

But I want to see GBS get wide. Wider than 3:2. Wider than 16:9. I'm thinking 1.85:1 at the very least - that's typical for a prestige show on Netflix. Most movies are 2.35:1 or 2.39:1, if you want a classic Hollywood frame. 70mm IMAX is 2.76:1. Get technical and look up exact specs if you want, but anything between 2:1 and 3:1 will work. No constraint on subject or style. Just make it W I D E.

Unless you have a special camera or lens, this means you'll have to crop your image a good bit vertically. Try it!

Some examples I took:

2.35:1

2.35:1

2.39:1

2.39:1

How it works:
Take (or edit) a photo, put it here, we'll vote starting 6/21.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

bumping

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

:wrong: ya'll got until Sunday night to w i d e p o s t

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

:siren: last call for submissions, anything posted after midnight PST will go in the dumpster!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Your entries:

Vote in spoiler tags, we'll vote for a week and then declare a winner. Deep Glove Bruno let me know if you'd prefer another of your images to be the one people vote on.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno gets it for me.

We'll wrap up voting today so get 'em in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Sleepytime takes it! Congrats.

Thanks everyone for participating. I turn the reins over Sleepytime as new champion. Where we go from here is up to them!