Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Do you think you can art? The Dorkroom runs a monthly photo contest and we wanna see what GBS can bring to the table.

The theme: Subframing

Subframing is a photographic technique where you frame another scene inside your image, here's some examples:

tk:

Seravid:

Ric:

Nigel Tufnel:

Quirex:

Myself:

How it works:
Take a photo, put it here, at the end of the month they'll be a vote and the winner gets a sense of pride and an av change or something. Contest will be open until the end of the month.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Very cosy, 100% adorable

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I like both the squirrel, and the skull!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yep, that's subframing all right! Nice pic

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

MackAddie posted:

I know nothing about photography so I'm not sure if this is subframing. Just go with it.

It's like the sky is giving birth to a hot egg, poetic.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jimlit posted:

My fiance is the actual photographer, took this when we were messing around with a projector.

Edit: poo poo just read there was a theme. Gonna leave it up incase it ends up being sub framing... I'm not a camera toucher so not really sure.

Nice Jimlit, I reckon it counts. Really digging it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

baw posted:

well that was a weird way to spend a tuesday morning but this is generally what i wanted and now that i know how to set it up i'll be able to play with it more. thanks for the idea

e:

is this dorkroom rules ie one entry per poster, and we can update our post if we decide to change our submission?

One entry per poster but you can change that entry as many times as you please. The most recent thing you put forward or flag will be it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Here's another of my subframed shots, for inspiration

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Very yes, these rule.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some more inspiration from my archives

I'm loving what GBS can bring to the table, really cool photos everyone.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's a good question, first, you wait for me to be less busy, second, you vote like this:

[spolier]Your vote here[/spoiler]

Here are your entrants, if you posted multiple I picked either my favorite or your last. If you'd like that changed say so.

Spinz posted:

Dryer lint (not made by me)

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Tried to find a pic I've taken that fits the theme. I think this is the only one I have

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

had to take a photo of my photo because its too big to scan, took it as a kid i dunno haha

seravid posted:

Some good stuff in here.

Hazo posted:

This counts right? We were in EPCOT last weekend and I thought this looked neat.

Dog Kisser posted:

Here's a few! Do any of these count?

Knot My President! posted:

i can't post process worth a drat

Phthisis posted:

That picture isn't actually good, though. This is my submission:

Jimlit posted:

My fiance is the actual photographer, took this when we were messing around with a projector.

Edit: poo poo just read there was a theme. Gonna leave it up incase it ends up being sub framing... I'm not a camera toucher so not really sure.

Teach posted:

Here are three that I think fit the bill - all from this year. I'll keep the one of my Subaru in.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

taken with "HORIZON" russian panoramic 35mm, maybe ektar film? not sure

baw posted:

well that was a weird way to spend a tuesday morning but this is generally what i wanted and now that i know how to set it up i'll be able to play with it more. thanks for the idea

e:

is this dorkroom rules ie one entry per poster, and we can update our post if we decide to change our submission?

Mondo Gatto posted:

It's a meat frame.

I'll try to go out and snap a new one for my entry.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Here's a selfie I took at a local bar during disco night with a phone camera super drunk:

:rip: that bar. Another covid victim

Wildo posted:

Springtime!

MackAddie posted:

Subframing...

kntfkr posted:

does this count

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ooh, Photography! Maybe I should venture out of my one or two sub-forums a bit more often.

DNAmage posted:

Thanks for the input. I did a little work on it to level it out. Hopefully looks better?

I had just done some pretty extensive pruning on this plant and wasn't sure if I overdid it. I think it's ok.

DrunkMidget posted:

Mosaic Canyon, Death Valley, California

Computer viking posted:

One more that's not from work, just to try and convince you I have a life.

Somewhere up the valley from Geiranger, IIRC.

Entropist posted:

I don't know what all the buttons on my camera do, I only need the big one I think

20 Blunts posted:

abandoned house

Megabound fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 9, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Done!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Keeping voting open until Saturday so get those votes in!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We have a winner, Congrats Prolonged Priapism taking it home with 4 votes. Crusty Nutsack and Zomboni Rodeo share second place with 3 votes each.

Transnationally the winner would pick the next theme, will the GBS photo contest continue? That's up to Prolonged. If you've had fun the monthly Dorkroom contest is running with the theme Power.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hell yeah, I got a nice wide phone pic I love.

Master of his domain

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I like that Chinatown. Nice scene.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I really like ~~~**pwn***~~~

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound posted:

I really like ~~~**pwn***~~~

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Real hard decision to make here but I'm going to stan **Ric***

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Upload it to Imgur. If you're posting with the Awful app you can upload directly to Imgur using it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

JD-Smith posted:

Thanks for the info!

Here's mine.

[timg] imgur.com/a/hGlIJzz [/timg]

.. I'm doin it like the bbcodes thingy says to and it doesn't work!

You need to copy the image address not the address of the Imgur page itself. Once it's uploaded right click/long press on the image then copy address.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Das Boo posted:

We had a tornado.

I like this a lot

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

dead duck

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

One more Day of votes and I'm closing this one out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dead Fat Duck is the winner! Congrats.