Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

. If people don't want to ruin the rest of their lives by creating ungrateful little parasites, who are we to say that's wrong?

Looks like somebody didn't get a call on their birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1389800020409561089

I will never understand natalist pearl clutching. If people don't want to ruin the rest of their lives by creating ungrateful little parasites, who are we to say that's wrong?

"All peoples' lives, and all peoples' relationships with their parents, across all of history, are exactly as lovely as mine" -- A very normal and reasonable person.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
If someone can tell me one reason life should exist that doesn't involve souls or some type of magical thinking related to immortality, I'd be interested to hear it

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Bringing life into the world on the off chance it enjoys it is like trying to get struck by lightening so you can play the piano better

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Vasukhani posted:

If someone can tell me one reason life should exist that doesn't involve souls or some type of magical thinking related to immortality, I'd be interested to hear it

er, why shouldn't life exist, can we start there?

The reasons I would give you are unlikely to resonate because they relate to subjective enjoyment of my own life over time. But, to the extent that people who procreate intellectualize it or moralize about it at all, as far as I can tell it's for reasons that have much more to do with their own subjective experience of life than with any kind of absolute concept of morality. I'm sure that may not be true in, say, hardcore evangelical Christian communities which no doubt exert pressure towards large families for moral reasons, but I'd be a little shocked if many of those people intellectualize anything

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Vasukhani posted:

Bringing life into the world on the off chance it enjoys it is like trying to get struck by lightening so you can play the piano better

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40062938?seq=1

this seems contrary to that idea. sorry you're unhappy?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40062938?seq=1

this seems contrary to that idea. sorry you're unhappy?

I was also happy in 1996

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I was also happy in 1996

This is a specious answer. Let's look at some data instead:

https://ourworldindata.org/happiness-and-life-satisfaction

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I am content after eating a meal and no longer being hungry. Filling up and emptying a vessal makes me content to a level. This does not mean that the vessal not existing would be worse. When i hold my breath I feel relieve and satisifaction by breathing eventually. This is all just biological and has nothing to do with meaning.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

What is meaning?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
What is?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm serious, please define meaning, and explain its value.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vasukhani posted:

To gently caress with you. Life should exist to gently caress with you, personally.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

What is meaning?

it doesnt exist. When people die, everything ends, there is no preservation of happiness or sadness. Letting people die its the only way to have an ethical society. There is no reason to be against this.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
anti-natalism is a boring thing incels wax about to feel good about not loving

embracing death as cool is actually rad though

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Vasukhani posted:

it doesnt exist. When people die, everything ends, there is no preservation of happiness or sadness. Letting people die its the only way to have an ethical society. There is no reason to be against this.

Why does preservation of happiness or sadness matter. What are ethics? Please provide me a definition of ethics that doesn't rest on meaning, since it doesn't exist.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Vasukhani posted:

I am content after eating a meal and no longer being hungry. Filling up and emptying a vessal makes me content to a level. This does not mean that the vessal not existing would be worse. When i hold my breath I feel relieve and satisifaction by breathing eventually. This is all just biological and has nothing to do with meaning.

Yeah, the universe and everything in it is meaningless. Congratulations, it seems you've discovered the first part of 20th century existentialism! Time to read some Sartre!! The second part of this journey into modern philosophy follows, in which the existentialists answer: "So it is then up to people to define their own meaning."

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

Why does preservation of happiness or sadness matter. What are ethics? Please provide me a definition of ethics that doesn't rest on meaning, since it doesn't exist.

suffering is bad and creating suffering is bad, preventing suffering is good

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, the universe and everything in it is meaningless. Congratulations, it seems you've discovered the first part of 20th century existentialism! Time to read some Sartre!! The second part of this journey into modern philosophy follows, in which the existentialists answer: "So it is then up to people to define their own meaning."

I'm not the one who brought up "life satisfaction" lol

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Why? Why is suffering bad?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Beelzebufo posted:

Reported as a psychotic sadist.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

because I personally dont like it

DrSunshine posted:

Adding to this, a huge amount of people can never achieve their meaning. Should they just live to service the "gifted" forever?

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 8, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

If nothing has meaning, why does the subjective qualia of suffering carry any weight? Why, absent meaning-making, does your or anyone else's suffering, carry ethical connotations?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

If nothing has meaning, why does the subjective qualia of suffering carry any weight? Why, absent meaning-making, does your or anyone else's suffering, carry ethical connotations?
my interests here are selfish, why does anyone else come into it?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Beelzebufo posted:

It's bad when I suffer, it's good when people I don't like suffer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Death is rad", says person that hasn't killed themselves yet.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Trying to puzzle out the rules of greater ethics and the meaning of meaning is overdoing it, imo, when the real crux is that the immediate future is loving bleak. Having a kid now just means they'll come of age right after the fifth once-in-a-century economic collapse and be stuck making $2.13/day in balmy Alaska.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mulva posted:

"Death is rad", says person that hasn't killed themselves yet.

I never really liked this supposed argument. Just because life sucks doesn't mean one should kill themselves - quite the contrary. It means you should stay alive and strive to alleviate the suffering of others.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Trying to puzzle out the rules of greater ethics and the meaning of meaning is overdoing it, imo, when the real crux is that the immediate future is loving bleak. Having a kid now just means they'll come of age right after the fifth once-in-a-century economic collapse and be stuck making $2.13/day in balmy Alaska.

I think very few people in this thread would argue against that point. Is it probably a bad idea for you, the person posting in the forums right now, in the context that the average person on this forum is living, to have a kid? Yes, it's likely the case that they will experience a much diminished world and great strife. Is it logical to deduce from the likely context of the coming century of socioeconomic and ecological disruption, that it is categorically wrong for conscious life to exist at all, and that universal omnicide is morally correct? Almost certainly no.

You can both believe that "reproduction, the phenomenon" is not inherently immoral, and choose not to personally have a child. You can believe that the human race is about to experience -- is currently experiencing -- a time of tremendous hardship, and also believe that a better world is possible. It's even possible to believe that the immediate present future that we, the living, is going to be one of terrible loss and filled with the passing of many wonderful things, but that the broader future can be made better in ways that we cannot even presently imagine, that the long-run future can even be inconceivably better than the present or near future -- if we fight and work hard to make it real.

These aren't mutually contradictory thoughts at all.

When someone who claims to be on the left claims that they don't think a better world is possible, I would console them to reflect on their professed beliefs to see if that claim doesn't remind them of the arguments of the liberals and reactionaries that they claim to be so vehemently against.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 7, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I never really liked this supposed argument.

What argument, that people that really believed what they were saying would eat a loving bullet?

It's not an argument, it's reality.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Byzantine posted:

if people only ever had kids when the future looked bright and prosperous no one would be here shitposting about it

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

13 was a tough age for me too

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Yes it would be ethically wrong for you to reproduce, OP.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Mulva posted:

What argument, that people that really believed what they were saying would eat a loving bullet?

This is a bit off topic, but just to be clear though I have no interest in it myself, I am also an advocate for broad self-euthanasia rights and destigmatization thereof. gently caress anyone who condescendingly throws a loving phone number at anyone who voices even vaguely end-of-lifey concerns. Have some respect for people's personal choices and life situation, christ.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mulva posted:

this is like saying abortion doesn't need to be legal because people who really need it will just find a way.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

13 was a tough age for me too

haha yes. believing in fundamental bodily autonomy is truly an adolescent affliction.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

this is like saying abortion doesn't need to be legal because people who really need it will just find a way.

It's actually nothing at all like that, in any sense, at all.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mulva posted:

It's actually nothing at all like that, in any sense, at all.

mayhaps it is in fact quite hard to reliably kill yourself. I'm sure in 20 years you will say you've always supported bodily autonomy, but I guess its still too progressive right now

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vasukhani posted:

mayhaps it is in fact quite hard to reliably kill yourself. I'm sure in 20 years you will say you've always supported bodily autonomy, but I guess its still too progressive right now

I think they are just asking why you haven't killed yourself, specifically, based on your stance on life itself that reads as an edgelord's parody of nihilism more than a coherent defense of bodily autonomy as a general idea.

I don't want to be the guy who talks somebody into suicide, so don't kill yourself just to win an argument with goons because that would fall into the "tragic act probably precipitated by mental illness" kind of suicide. Which I sincerely think is bad.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

sean10mm posted:

I think they are just asking why you haven't killed yourself, specifically, based on your stance on life itself that reads as an edgelord's parody of nihilism more than a coherent defense of bodily autonomy as a general idea.

I don't want to be the guy who talks somebody into suicide, so don't kill yourself just to win an argument with goons because that would fall into the "tragic act probably precipitated by mental illness" kind of suicide. Which I sincerely think is bad.

I would say I'm still vaguely curious about stuff. But holding people hostage because the next part of the movie might be good is unethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

haha yes. believing in fundamental bodily autonomy is truly an adolescent affliction.

no one is arguing with you about broad bodily autonomy, including the right to autoeuthanize, which appears to be generally supported throughout this forum (or subforum, at least). People are goofing on your hot topic teen philosophical musings about how actually life is meaningless when you really think about it, maaaan