Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

Why is this thread considered "pseudo intellectual nonsense" in your mind?

its really weird to see people try to moralize an instinct

also to moralize existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Can I ask why? We moralise most of the things that we do, and questioning why things are "like that" is a tad important.

its weird because the end goal of that line of thought is the end of all life and nihilism is loving weird

at best it's lazy - someone choosing to have no kids because they would only know suffering in a post climate disaster world.

at worst one could convince themselves that something like mass sterilization is a moral imperative because people arent going to stop loving on some proselytizer's say so

its one thing to question why humans do the things they do. it is entirely another to pass judgment on those things.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Yes? I don't see why not? Both potential lives have equal value so I don't want either of them to have to be brought into existence and deal with the poo poo the world has in store for them.

why is the conclusion "life must end" instead of "life must be better"

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

For the howevermanyth time, I think the best way to reduce the human population is to give people every possible ability to not reproduce of their own volition, which I think also involves making their lives materially better because better healthcare and reproductive rights and the option to do something with your life other than raise children and breaking down social and cultural expectations that people should do that are all good things in and of themselves because I think they increase the quality of life of people who have them. And I also think that if everybody does do that and the global population shrinks then it will make it easier to take control of environmental factors which cause humans to suffer.

I do not, in fact, think that people need to be forced to not reproduce or for that matter that they even can be forced not to in the long run. That's your assumption, not mine. I think that quite evidently we can create societies where a lot of people just... don't.

improved conditions such as these will make people want to breed more not less, no matter how much reeducation or conditioning or whatever mystical power you intend to use to convince people not to gently caress. this happens all over the world with every kind of critter.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Soul_ posted:

You say that we can't apply morality to reproduction because it's a biological activity, but we apply morality biological activities all the time. Even what you eat and where you poo poo can in fact have religious or cultural prescriptions about what's right. In addition, you're implying that we don't have control over whether we have children, when unless you were raped, you have complete control over it. Now more than ever with birth control.

Edit: I guess what you're saying makes sense if you're only talking about the binary question of whether we should reproduce at all. But not if it's just about how and when.

that’s moralizing how and where someone eats and shits. that’s very different from saying the very act of eating and making GBS threads is morally wrong which is what I think the op was originally getting at

many religions already moralize reproduction in certain circumstances but few religions tell you to never breed ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Trying to puzzle out the rules of greater ethics and the meaning of meaning is overdoing it, imo, when the real crux is that the immediate future is loving bleak. Having a kid now just means they'll come of age right after the fifth once-in-a-century economic collapse and be stuck making $2.13/day in balmy Alaska.

if people only ever had kids when the future looked bright and prosperous no one would be here shitposting about it