Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

adoration for none posted:

No one wants to live in Kowloon Walled City

Plenty of people were happy in Kowloon Walled City, and had to be forcibly evicted. Nobody paid taxes and there was business to be had. I mean sure you might not see the sun for days, and your home is one room that is like 7 feet square for 4 people, but you could make some serious bank. And anyway home is home. Things peaked in the crime front in the 60s and 70s. By the 80s it wasn't perfect but it wasn't a hellscape either. So you have a short commute, good pay, and a tight community. Yeah the air isn't great, the noise pollution is ridiculous, and law is a foreign concept, but people adapt.

Which is sort of what this all comes down to. Someone posits a thing that is bad, but which the people that actually had to experience it were more or less fine with or overcame. Why is it bad because someone else says it was? Who makes them the arbiter? Conversely the people that were fine with it aren't the arbiter either, but if the people that experienced it can't agree that it was a universal hardship who gets to override them? And why?

The end of this conversation is always someone saying "These things are bad because I say so" and someone else going "Naw". Depending on which person you side with the entire conversation is either logical, or a defense of suicidal ideation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vasukhani posted:

even if you birth children into 2060 hell world, by 2150 they will be unbirthed and will have never suffered

That's not how anything works, but you keep trucking!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

after careful consideration i think the most persuasive argument is the guy who felt pain so bad if given the option he would make the possibility of experiencing joy impossible for everyone across all dimensions. i just don't see that sort of raw energy from the rest of you. if you're not prepared to kill everything forever, don't even post in this thread.

The counter position is "I'll gently caress everything I don't care I'll get your desk chair pregnant stop me you won't", which I really don't see anyone being able to sell after woozy got probated.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

I keep seeing this term used and I have no idea what it means. What is "a cope" or "copium"?

I mean that's fair. But going "all of you are stupid bastards for thinking this, learn to be more like me who fucks" doesn't actually work to change peoples minds or stop them being unhappy?

An excuse. Copium is internet bullshit speak for a coping mechanism used to deny reality.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gatts posted:

Not sure but I think finding a way to reduce human population on earth to 2 billion would be beneficial until we can colonize other worlds and build a sustainable supply chain or terraform or O’Neil Cylinders or something and then control human development until we wanna build poo poo like Star Lifting and can traverse stars but that requires thinking beyond just the individual

The population of the Earth could be 5 people and if 4 of them decided to screw over the last 1 the planet would still be horribly mismanaged and nothing would get done. Conversely we could feed house cloth and educate billions more people than live on the planet now with less ecological impact than we currently have if we were properly managed and cared enough to do it. The number of people on the planet is not and never has been the problem. It's the quality of people on the planet. Population control doesn't fix that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Shitposting isn't real, it's something terrible people say they do to avoid therapy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

If someone can tell me one reason life should exist that doesn't involve souls or some type of magical thinking related to immortality, I'd be interested to hear it

To gently caress with you. Life should exist to gently caress with you, personally.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
"Death is rad", says person that hasn't killed themselves yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I never really liked this supposed argument.

What argument, that people that really believed what they were saying would eat a loving bullet?

It's not an argument, it's reality.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

this is like saying abortion doesn't need to be legal because people who really need it will just find a way.

It's actually nothing at all like that, in any sense, at all.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

mayhaps it is in fact quite hard to reliably kill yourself. I'm sure in 20 years you will say you've always supported bodily autonomy, but I guess its still too progressive right now

It's super easy to kill yourself reliably. Especially if you have the internet, like you do. Reminder: I'm not making a wider point, I'm saying if you, personally, believed what you were saying you'd kill yourself. As you are still shitposting, you don't. Which makes everything you are saying tedious.

Note: Not saying go kill yourself. I'm saying stop pretending you actually believe what you are saying. You don't, you are just pissing and moaning in a corner.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 7, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

So to be a Real antinatalist, I need to have a vasectomy yesterday, got it.

I mean, yeah I should do that anyway, but that's the point you seem to be making: no one can be a good faith advocate of a position unless they personally live that position's logical extremes themselves.

The "extremes" of doing literally anything but talking about it, yes. If the extent of your beliefs is talking about it on the internet, then it's just posturing. You might as well be some loving music nerd going "Yeah, well, I liked them before they were big". You don't care about the thing, you care about being known to care about the thing. We can deduce that fairly easily if you've taken no steps to support the belief, but *have* taken repeated steps to show you have the belief. This shows where the priority lies.

If you have any disagreements with that methodology I'd love to hear it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Great, nobody was talking about that and nobody probably disagrees. Feel like eating a bullet yet?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
We aren't the only species with language, try again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Car Hater posted:

Nah I'll stick with it thanks, one more for the big list of things that should not be but are anyways

I mean I can't take your failure and ignorance from you, so instead I'll hope you enjoy whatever comfort they bring.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Also a lot of doomposters act like "Climate change" is a thing that will jump out of a dark alley and knife people. What, exactly, do you imagine is going to cause wealthy and powerful nations to collapse, rather than billions of poorer folks in weaker nations getting the dick while richer ones adapt?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

We stand in the wreckage of the greatest pandemic of the last century. The United States hosed it up so badly it is boggling to consider we nominally have a government at all. The death toll is probably close to a million for us, without all the hiding bodies and 'Well they really died from this and not COVID' we have going on. It's a tragedy that could very well define a generation.

It changed literally nothing about how this nation operates. And frankly in 4 years it'll probably be a loving anecdote for everyone that didn't lose a loved one to it.

Disease is not going to stop the horrific ghoul of America from continuing to devour the weak and oppressed. We'll keep on keeping on right on through it. Probably not going to stop any other nation that considers itself wealthy and powerful either. Consider this a taste of things to come. A lot of people will die, especially those most vulnerable, but nobody will care and society will march on. That's the future.

Yardbomb posted:

I mean it already is doing that, it's just that the knife is steadily getting bigger and sharper.

No, it's not. It's really, really loving not. It's not that kind of threat and it's never going to be, but it'd have to be that kind of threat to justify the level of sadbrains posting over it. The type of thing where you blink and 4,000,000 people died in a second, out of nowhere, for no real cause we can predict. It's never going to be that, all the causes of death and distress will be seen from a thousand miles and decades in time away. We will not be surprised about any of it, nor will we be caught flat footed about what to do about any of it. We may not actually do any of the things we have to until the last possible second, but that's still more than enough time to push the majority of the suffering away from first world nations and onto the backs of nations without the wealth and technology to take the steps we can.

Like I said, a lot of people will die, especially those most vulnerable, but nobody will care and society will march on.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Are... are you serious? I mean you've got increasing difficulties growing crops and (worse) pollinating crops

There will never be a point in the entirety of the most extreme climate change scenario where we lose the ability to artificially generate fertile soil and grow crops. Ever. Ever ever ever. We could lose the ozone layer and the seas could boil away, and we could still grow crops. It's a solved process. The only question is how many could potentially die as things get harder, which is a number that is never going to reach 100%.

quote:

you've got mass flooding of low laying areas

Move inland, build massive walls, loving die. All good solutions.

quote:

huge numbers of refugees from everywhere else on the planet.

Kill them. It's not hard. It's horrific and immoral, but it's super easy and morality isn't actually real. We put children in loving changes for the grand crime of.....ah yes, 'being foreign', and all most people have managed about that one is a stern 'tut tut'.

quote:

You've got the death of vast numbers and the collapse of the various different supply chains that keep the world in which we currently all exist turning.

Then the world as it exists will die.

quote:

Your attitude is one of "shut up you sad fucks, your wrong".

You are wrong. That's the point, the world doesn't care. And there is no-one calling us to task for our sins. We can rape the planet, lead to the death of billions, and go "Welp, that happened" and just mosey onward like it never happened. Nobody can call us to task over it. Extinction is a mechanical issue, not a moral one, and there's nothing coming down the pipe that we have no idea how to deal with. None of it is novel, none of it is unexpected.

The species will adapt. Civilization at large will adapt. What form it takes is both in flux and irrelevant.

The fundamental assumption in the depression is that things will get bad and we'll all care. We won't all care, we've never all cared. So why do you act like everyone in this future will act like a depressive rather than like a sociopath?

Byzantine posted:

Covid came out of nowhere, swept over the whole world and is currently at 3.4 million dead.

It's been a year and a half to do those numbers and in another year we aren't going to have 6.8 million dead. Well I mean we probably will, much like how 3.4 is a bullshit number, but the official number won't have doubled in double the time. And what we learned from mRNA vaccination will leave us that much better equipped for the next virus that we ignore before it kills millions. COVID is already transitioning to the 'managed' stage. We could have a hundred more COVIDs and the population of the world might just about reach Spanish flu levels of panic. How often do you, personally, find yourself thinking of the Spanish flu?