Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Nah OP. Kids are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

OwlFancier posted:

Well I don't have a thing that I can just shoot at people to make them die of happiness. And again, doing that would make other people pretty unhappy.

Whereas somebody not existing in the first place is something I 1. can control quite a lot, I can not reproduce every second of the day. and 2. nobody is sad about people who never existed.

So that's why I focus more on the not reproducing thing than the magic "make people die of happiness" gun.

Holy poo poo guy, this is obviously false. People get really sad about not being able to have children all the time. Have you ever met a person?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

OwlFancier posted:

Barring some quibbles about the deterministic nature of the universe I agree with the most of the first four paragraphs but there is a bit of a jump between that and "therefore we need more of this" and especially the idea that conscious life can, in the face of the complexity of the universe, actually make the world more preferable to itself on a macro scale. I think it more likely that we do not posess the organizational capacity to do that and will probably end up stuck in a sort of loop of growth and collapse like all other forms of life.

Also as good and bad are purely fictions in our minds it seems weird to ascribe any sort of cosmic importance to it. Sounds a bit woo woo to me. Applying them to other fictions of our minds seems fine but further than that seems weird.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=20

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

OwlFancier posted:

That assumes there is some special value in life existing, which again I do not think there is.

This is why everyone thinks you're a dumbass, if you were wondering.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

The difference is that procreating, by definition, requires bringing a sapient being into existence that didn't before, without its consent to do so.

That sentient being also can't offer you their preference on being alive, seeing as they don't exist and all. Personally I'm very glad my parents had a child as I greatly prefer being alive to the non-existence that came before it. Does that preference and the belief that one can provide a generally healthy/happy life for a child count for nothing?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Life has a negative value because life is intrinsically and inalterably comprised of more suffering than anything else. As such it is immoral to reproduce, thus subjecting another person to that suffering. Non-existence is always preferable to existence. If I had a big button that killed all humans everywhere instantly and painlessly I would hit it because that would forever end all human suffering.

Do I have that right?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Beelzebufo posted:

Moral Philosophy

What is someone who actually knows what they're talking about doing in this thread? I'm not sure that's allowed.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

CountryMatters posted:

Most of us are actually having a good time and don't think that living is misery. Later maybe I'll gently caress my husband and get high. It'll be great

That does sound pretty great.

I think I have a good counter for the life is suffering crowd.

https://youtu.be/eLstg78SxUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Gatts posted:

Not sure but I think finding a way to reduce human population on earth to 2 billion would be beneficial until we can colonize other worlds and build a sustainable supply chain or terraform or O’Neil Cylinders or something and then control human development until we wanna build poo poo like Star Lifting and can traverse stars but that requires thinking beyond just the individual

Why do you think this would be helpful?