Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Might be a weird brain worms issue of mine, but I've always thought that reproducing seems wrong/bad in general, either for the children or for yourself. Life is pretty bad in general imo, some of us get lucky but even then the baseline is not great, and the pain and suffering people feel seem to far outweigh the positives. For example, is the best thing that's ever happened in your life worth a disease like cancer or mental illness? If most of life is suffering or if there's more bad then good, then are parents not morally/ethically/logically wrong?

From a religious standpoint, I think Buddhism is probably the one that would make the most sense with this view probably? (I'm probably super very wrong about this, but it would be interesting to know about some of the religious views on non-birth)

First time making a post on D&D, not sure if this is apropos please don't murder me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've been reading the thread and following the replies, it's very cool to see everyone's thoughts on the subject which is controversial. Someone earlier mentioned antinatalism and I found more about it and I think it's a view that is interesting to me. Found some websites and even a new podcast about the concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJPc3I1_P0I

I guess at the end of the day it's a very subjective thing like some of you mentioned but it's a huge gamble, life I mean. I do agree that those that already exist should strive to make things better for others in whatever way they can, big or small, which some have expressed before.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

Yeah he was cool as hell.

Unlike this thread, which is just terrible, but that I keep reading because it's such a rare vintage of pseudo intellectual nonsense that it's strangely compelling

Why is this thread considered "pseudo intellectual nonsense" in your mind?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

Because I've read the posts people have written in it?

Nice dodge :discourse:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I actually have Hubble's 30th anniversary image as my desktop background cause it looks really cool. It's a shame I can't view life/consciousness with that same sense of wonder.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Josef bugman posted:

Life in general or your own life in particular?

I'm sorry to hear that either way though.

In general yeah, though it's only my viewpoint on it of course, but I wanted to make the thread to know what people's thoughts are on life/birth in general. It's been interesting reading the posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
You guys know that you can gently caress without necessarily having kids, right?