Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
people should be born but should be allowed to opt out. Forcing life is unethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
humans have a natural drive to eat protein rich meat, but killing animals can be wrong because their suffering outweighs the good that come from the meat

same deal with human reproduction, when you make life, you create untold suffering, infinite pain, people should have a choice about that just like they have a choice with pregnancy.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
just having suicide facilities solve all of these issues

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
unless reverse birth is made safe, easy, and affordable, I don't see how birth can be justified

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
sucide booths will be the next socially progressive issue

my body, my choice

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

no no, see haven't you learned anything? It's not enough to just have a baseline stance of 'bodily autonomy means freedom to do what you want with your body', you have to put every kid in the world in a class where they learn how correct and good it is to use the suicide booth in the name of dwindling the population to pre-industrial levels.

oh yeah, not reproducing because you think life will suck for your kids is a mix of nostalgia and eco fascism

not reproducing because you care about consent is cool and good

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
actually being alive is good because all the suffering goes away once you die, so nothing bad can come of it. Live, might as well.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Konomex posted:

Most people would argue there is no evidence the suffering goes away once you die. That's quite the gamble. Also, you're weirdly fixated on easily accessible suicide, are you okay?

there is plenty of evidence to suggest consciousness goes away once you die.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
nothing about existance ethical or unethical, when you die the program ends, a pure neutral

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
arguing over whether cooking the steak hurts the cow

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
even if you birth children into 2060 hell world, by 2150 they will be unbirthed and will have never suffered

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
If someone can tell me one reason life should exist that doesn't involve souls or some type of magical thinking related to immortality, I'd be interested to hear it

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Bringing life into the world on the off chance it enjoys it is like trying to get struck by lightening so you can play the piano better

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I am content after eating a meal and no longer being hungry. Filling up and emptying a vessal makes me content to a level. This does not mean that the vessal not existing would be worse. When i hold my breath I feel relieve and satisifaction by breathing eventually. This is all just biological and has nothing to do with meaning.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

What is meaning?

it doesnt exist. When people die, everything ends, there is no preservation of happiness or sadness. Letting people die its the only way to have an ethical society. There is no reason to be against this.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
anti-natalism is a boring thing incels wax about to feel good about not loving

embracing death as cool is actually rad though

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

Why does preservation of happiness or sadness matter. What are ethics? Please provide me a definition of ethics that doesn't rest on meaning, since it doesn't exist.

suffering is bad and creating suffering is bad, preventing suffering is good

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, the universe and everything in it is meaningless. Congratulations, it seems you've discovered the first part of 20th century existentialism! Time to read some Sartre!! The second part of this journey into modern philosophy follows, in which the existentialists answer: "So it is then up to people to define their own meaning."

I'm not the one who brought up "life satisfaction" lol

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

Why? Why is suffering bad?

because I personally dont like it

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, the universe and everything in it is meaningless. Congratulations, it seems you've discovered the first part of 20th century existentialism! Time to read some Sartre!! The second part of this journey into modern philosophy follows, in which the existentialists answer: "So it is then up to people to define their own meaning."

Adding to this, a huge amount of people can never achieve their meaning. Should they just live to service the "gifted" forever?

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 8, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beelzebufo posted:

If nothing has meaning, why does the subjective qualia of suffering carry any weight? Why, absent meaning-making, does your or anyone else's suffering, carry ethical connotations?
my interests here are selfish, why does anyone else come into it?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mulva posted:

What argument, that people that really believed what they were saying would eat a loving bullet?

It's not an argument, it's reality.

this is like saying abortion doesn't need to be legal because people who really need it will just find a way.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

13 was a tough age for me too

haha yes. believing in fundamental bodily autonomy is truly an adolescent affliction.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mulva posted:

It's actually nothing at all like that, in any sense, at all.

mayhaps it is in fact quite hard to reliably kill yourself. I'm sure in 20 years you will say you've always supported bodily autonomy, but I guess its still too progressive right now

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

sean10mm posted:

I think they are just asking why you haven't killed yourself, specifically, based on your stance on life itself that reads as an edgelord's parody of nihilism more than a coherent defense of bodily autonomy as a general idea.

I don't want to be the guy who talks somebody into suicide, so don't kill yourself just to win an argument with goons because that would fall into the "tragic act probably precipitated by mental illness" kind of suicide. Which I sincerely think is bad.

I would say I'm still vaguely curious about stuff. But holding people hostage because the next part of the movie might be good is unethical.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

no one is arguing with you about broad bodily autonomy, including the right to autoeuthanize, which appears to be generally supported throughout this forum (or subforum, at least).

Great, so we've successfully debated and discussed. Having children is fine, but you must make accessible exits for it to be ethical. Close the thread I guess.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mulva posted:

It's super easy to kill yourself reliably. Especially if you have the internet, like you do. Reminder: I'm not making a wider point, I'm saying if you, personally, believed what you were saying you'd kill yourself. As you are still shitposting, you don't. Which makes everything you are saying tedious.

Note: Not saying go kill yourself. I'm saying stop pretending you actually believe what you are saying. You don't, you are just pissing and moaning in a corner.

"drat, you support abortion yet had kids? guess you're a hypocrit"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
The issue of birth ethics is entirely negated simply by giving humans actually freedom of choice, again unless you think the body belongs to the state/god/whatever and not the human

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mulva posted:

Great, nobody was talking about that and nobody probably disagrees. Feel like eating a bullet yet?

?

quote:

Disease & Disaster > Do you think reproducing is morally/logically/ethically wrong?

????

it's literally the thread topic? And you don't disagree?

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 8, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
good(?) news (?)

it looks like we will need to keep thinking about this, new research suggests that fertility decline has been greatly exaggerated

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14647273.2021.1917778?src=

Richardson and her colleagues found that earlier research claimed causal links between declining sperm counts and declining fertility, as well as between exposures to certain environmental chemicals and lower sperm counts. The GenderSci Lab researchers found that neither of these assumptions are supported by scientific or geographic evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

wait so are the frogs turning gay, or not

rumors of frog gayness may be better explained by the frog getting a career and going to college, deciding not to lay eggs