Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I don't think you can seperate happiness and unhappiness from "the constant screaming instinct of "DO NOT DIE, CREATE MORE LIFE" that all life forms appear to have". If you remove our biological drives and urges, what does happiness or unhappiness even mean? Disliking and avoiding suffering is as much of a biological drive as our drive to reproduce - you can't say that the desire to reproduce is somehow artificial and just a 'screaming instinct' but other instincts are somehow objectively true outside of our biological reality.

If humans have a biological urge to procreate and spread, and they accomplish that goal, how is that any less an authentic experience than anything else you're going to do in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Josef bugman posted:

The idea that "tomorrow will be better than today" is not one that I am willing to bet on, personally. War has gone down, in part because war has become ever more expensive for the aggressor. But it also doesn't mean that violence has diminished necessarily. Part of the problem is that there is an awful lot of internalised violence where the state brutalises either it's own citizens or those seeking to become citizens.

Can you give objective evidence for this? Because OOCC provided some for forms of violence that are not war (specifically that homicide is vastly, vastly less frequent than it was in the past.)

I'm not saying that violence on the part of the state against its citizens doesn't happen (of course it does), but I've never seen anything that would indicate it's more frequent now than it was in the past. More visible, maybe. (now that it can be easily and routinely recorded by citizens).

Capital punishment has gone from commonplace to exceptionally rare across the world. Standards of justice have improved. It's difficult to buy the argument that we've gotten so much worse than periods where criminals were tarred and feathered, or put in stocks in the village square.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 16, 2021