Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

OwlFancier posted:

To illustrate that I think it is likely that our lives are worse day to day than we perceive them to be because we have a variety of social and psychological mechanisms designed to prevent us from thinking that our lives are bad regardless of whether they are.

But I have no idea why you think this somehow makes things not bad. Again unless you are arguing that not remembering things clearly makes them not happen which is ludicrous.
I feel like there's a decent argument for the reverse being true, that people are, to some degree hardwired to be discontent with how things are going. If people were able to really step back and evaluate how relatively amazing a middle class first world life is compared to almost anything that came before there'd be no feeling of keeping up with the Jones's and advertising would be ineffective. But we look at people who have more, or look better, or do cooler things and go "I want that" regardless of how good things are for us. Good for societal progress overall, hard on individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU