Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

NikkolasKing posted:

What about the "fact" we care most about people close to us because we're just not designed to operate in a globalized world order where we are connected to people on the other side of the planet? We naturally care most for our family or community above all else because of evolution and that's how humans were for most of our existence?

I'm honestly curious since I see this a lot but I know nothing about science.

If you take like middle of the bell-curve levels of empathy, people feel empathy for complete strangers on the opposite side of the planet very readily (and to an extent that idk how someone would even try to explain with ev bio or w/e beyond just acknowledging that people are essentially hard wired to feel empathy). I think the bigger issue there is that it's clearly easy to stoke xenophobic sentiment and inhibit that normal level of empathy or to shelter people from humanizing exposure to remote people affected by our choices or actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU