Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
This thread was posted some hours after we had our second kid; I my personal answers to the questions in the OP are "maybe, depends on your circumstance and affluence, maybe".

I am prone to intellectalizing everything, taking it apart and examing the moral implications of most of my behaviors, but I've known at a deep level for decades that having kids was something I wanted to do, and so set out to create a happy space to grow up and discover our broken and dying planet and culture from, almost on autopilot compared to my usual decision paralysis.

Put differently, if we had scrutinized this decision through the same lenses we use to pick a recycling provider or determine if we think our tapwater is safe to drink, we might have made a different decision, but as is, I barely made a decision as much as allow our internal desires an environment to develop in.

So, this thread was an interesting read, but I don't think most people make this decision along moral lines. I bet I overanalayzed it more than most people do because I identified several obvious cognitive distortions in my belief structure around having kids, but I just noted them and ignored them. Do most people even get that far?

Anyway my kids are awesome and no amount of text changes that; the years I've had with them have been the best of my life so far and if we all die in a fireball tomorrow, YOLO.

Definitely stopping at two, though, and god the amount of plastic waste babies create in America even if you are trying to be a luddite about it is gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Vasukhani posted:

If someone can tell me one reason life should exist that doesn't involve souls or some type of magical thinking related to immortality, I'd be interested to hear it

er, why shouldn't life exist, can we start there?

The reasons I would give you are unlikely to resonate because they relate to subjective enjoyment of my own life over time. But, to the extent that people who procreate intellectualize it or moralize about it at all, as far as I can tell it's for reasons that have much more to do with their own subjective experience of life than with any kind of absolute concept of morality. I'm sure that may not be true in, say, hardcore evangelical Christian communities which no doubt exert pressure towards large families for moral reasons, but I'd be a little shocked if many of those people intellectualize anything

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

Bringing life into the world on the off chance it enjoys it is like trying to get struck by lightening so you can play the piano better

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40062938?seq=1

this seems contrary to that idea. sorry you're unhappy?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

wait so are the frogs turning gay, or not