Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harold Fjord posted:

What about ai? Is it ethical to invent a creature which can suffer?

What about a creature that can't suffer? What if someone made an AI that sensed pleasure a trillion times more than humans and the utility function dictated we had to give all our food to it because it eating it caused more joy per bite than the whole human race combined eating it would have. Thus making humans eating food always immoral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

What about the "fact" we care most about people close to us because we're just not designed to operate in a globalized world order where we are connected to people on the other side of the planet? We naturally care most for our family or community above all else because of evolution and that's how humans were for most of our existence?

I'm honestly curious since I see this a lot but I know nothing about science.

Seems like if any of that was true then as the world got more crowed violence and stuff would go up and up and up. But both at a group level (war) and a personal level (murder) people have been pretty steadily being better and better at getting along peacefully for centuries. The more people are the nicer we get, apparently.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Byzantine posted:

The only reason war stopped is we built weapons powerful and all-consuming enough to trip enough people’s self-preservation instincts.

Good thing there’s nothing on the horizon that might make people desperate enough to risk it anyway

Sounds like if the amount of war and death went up, down or stayed the same you'd equally say that was proof that humans were violent sin cursed beasts.

As it stands, subtracting this future war you know about and promise will come that we can't get any stats about, it seems pretty clear human violence of all kinds has declined dramatically and steadily as human population has grown. Across a bunch of different cultures.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Josef bugman posted:

The ice sheets are melting mate. The idea that there is infinite growth available on a finite planet is not exactly a sustainable system now is it?

I think trying to build a better world for other people is important, and more power to those that are so hopeful to that they have kids. But on a purely personal level I don't want to risk it. That and I also have brain problems that I wouldn't want to inflict the likelyhood of on a child.

I mean, I am sure that final battle on the plains of megiddo is going to happen any minute now, just like always. But until that happens the actual data we have currently does not seem to show a world where more people means more war and violence, people seem to be more empathetic and kind as there is more people. Or at least the two things are uncoupled and unrelated and there being vastly more people does not apparently show any amount of more violence as it scales up.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Car Hater posted:

Nah I'll stick with it thanks, one more for the big list of things that should not be but are anyways

Who made that list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Car Hater posted:

Because we're already extinct and it's fun to tilt at windmills about why. :P

I'm aware of all the points you raised, and don't ascribe any sort of mystical woo woo balance to nature, take a chill pill. I take roughly the same stance, hard to moralize the oxygen crisis. But to the things living at the time, it was a total disaster. A quirk of evolution drove the annihilation of its source organism and the vast majority of the rest of life at the time. Such is consciousness now.

E; see, I'm not wishing for mammalian gigadeath, it's just here already. Small poo poo might make it through this millennium but nothing over like, medium dog size. Naked mole rats probably have the best odds.

That does not sound like.... what current science says is happening.