Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SaGa frontier remastered debuts in ten days on the switch and other systems. the original is imo one of the crown jewels of the SaGa games and an unsung masterpiece of the psx, they could have just released it as-is and i probably would have bought it day one. the only problem with the game is that it had a super troubled production and ran out of money (supposedly because ff8 was starting to soak up all of square's pocket cash) so they had to cut a bunch of cool ideas and systems and an entire scenario went down the tubes. now, in the year of our lord 2021, incredible cool-type psycho akitoshi kawazu was able to use the remaster to not only add all the unfinished stuff but also dramatically expand the scope of the game beyond his wildest dreams

CHOOSE FROM SEVEN SCENARIOS, EACH WITH THEIR OWN PROTAGONIST AND PLOT

EXPERIENCE CUT CONTENT AND SEE THE FINISHED GAME AT LONG LAST

THEN, UNLOCK THE MYSTERIOUS CRAZY FUSE AND USE HIM TO EXPLORE WHAT-IF SCENARIOS AND ALTERNATE ENDINGS

UTILIZE NEW FUNCTIONS LIKE "TURBO MODE" AND "ESCAPE FROM BATTLES" TO TURN THE TIDE
https://assets.rpgsite.net/images/images/000/097/244/article/SaGa-Frontier-Remastered_20210325_09.webp

SaGa FRONTIER REMASTERED ON 15th!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

OUR MYSTERIOUS HEROES

T260G

an ancient robot, her past lost, searching for her destiny...

Asellus

a young woman, killed and turned into a half-mystic, trying to escape the thrall of her new master and forge a new path...

Riki

a monster sent on a quest to find rings of power and save their world...

Emelia

a woman framed for the murder of her husband, trying to take down evil organization "Trinity"...

Red

a man thrust into conflict with evil organization BlackX, using the power of the mighty hero Alkaiser...

Lute

a wanderer and adventurer, seeking thrills and playing music wherever he goes...

Blue

the greatest magician of the magic kingdom, sent to learn spells in order to kill his twin brother...

NEW CHARACTER FUSE

the shining star of intergalactic police force "IRPO", who drifts in and out of the other seven stories...

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 5, 2021

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

Looking forward to finally completing all scenarios on a single system data file.

i got 5 done as a kid but my memory card corrupted halfway tyhrough asellus and i nearly threw up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Who do I play first?

https://wheeldecide.com/e.php?c1=Lu...eborder=%220%22

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

HD Shuzer is hosed up.

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the earth dragon looks so crisp though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V52ILR0PNMs&t=73s

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 7, 2021

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

three days left! i'm getting hype by listening to the FF legends ep of retronauts here: https://retronauts.com/article/669/episode-125-unpacks-the-enigma-of-final-fantasy-legend

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

They released a voiced trailer a few days ago and "BlackX" is supposedly pronounced "Black Cross" so I've been reading it wrong for 20 years.

what

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

χ-blade (pronounced key blade)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

loved this games music hope it isnt messed with too much

apparently they didnt touch it other than getting kenji ito back to write a fee new tracks for fuse

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

to the tune of Take Me Home, Country Roads

its almost out here
SaGa Frontier
Kawazu is
a motherfucking genius

chorus:

asellus,
t260,
emelia,
riki, lute,
red and blue,
they added fuse,
kawazu
i love you so

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren: GAME HAS UNLOCKED ON SWITCH :siren:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

getting to play a bit on lunch...wheel gave me asellus, so i guess i'm seeing new content right off the bat

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

Also, I was streaming this and I encountered this enemy

And I said haha whoa vtuber enemy and one of the deadly serious random SaGa head viewers in my chat was like I sincerely hope that's sarcasm. This game existed long before vtubers.

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that was the first one i ever did and the endings so cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

The best qol adjustment is you can choose what skill to overwrite for monsters now and also you can just cancel the absorb.

god yeah. being able to see what equipment does is a big fuckin deal too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

doing a bunch of screwing around before i get on with asellus' scenario, halfway through the arcane quest and about to knock out the shadow quest too. asellus gets kind of a crappy set of guys, i'm using lute in my main party for my first time i thnk ever, at least thunder's pretty good. this is the first time where i actually paid attention to how monsters work and that system's so cool, ive got thunder in ankheg form and he's ripping through random encounters. i feel like i'm going to tear the first couple bosses a new one

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

AverySpecialfriend posted:

This game seems way cooler than bravely but I have to finish that first

as someone who bbeat bravely two days before this came out: theyre about as different as two jrpgs can be and thats a fact

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

love ending a combo with locomotive g, camera zooming in as i bash an enemy into the geound like ten times

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dullahan is pretty good too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

Also, Virgil will not accept combos that are in your combo history so uh try not to make any super cool combos the entire scenario until you get to him

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i cant decide if thats a bug or kawazu deciding that virgil only wants to see combos you havent done before

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

utterly obliterated orlouge. on to the next scenario, BLUE

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i was doing some reading about monster systems to do riki's scenario and i found this collection of interviews with the team:

https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/complete-interviews/

my favorite bit's this

Main Staff Interview posted:

―Regarding the “sparking” system, what kind of rules are there for sparking abilities?
Koizumi

Each character has an established “time” where it’s easiest to learn a specific Art. There are also spark tree hierarchies where using Art A makes it easier to spark Art B. These are the key factors in determining spark rates…but to tell the truth, even I don’t know which Arts will spark and when.

―Whaaat?!
Koizumi

It’d be boring if you knew everything about the game when playing, wouldn’t it? That’s why, when I was making final adjustments to the system, I changed the parameters so that even I wouldn’t understand them. Then I could enjoy playing the game, too (laugh).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

So I never understood the whole "Shuzer has Red's father's brain" bit at the end of your fight with him. Does that mean Shuzer had Dr. Okonogi's brain implanted in his own skull? Why would you do something like that? How does Shuzer know that Alkaiser is Red in the first place? Wouldn't that mean that Red's identity has been revealed and his memory should get erased? Before the fight Shuzer acts like he doesn't even know who Alkaiser is! These are the questions that have been plaguing me for 20+ years.

ahhhh! i actually read an interview about this! shuzer implants red's dad's brain somewhere in his body so he can feel it suffer as shuzer does evil stuff, he can't read its memories but can feel okonogi's feelings and emotions until alkaiser kicks his rear end

https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/home/book-index/100mysteries/

Kawazu posted:

33 Why does Shuzer have Dr. Okonogi’s brain implanted in his body?
He wanted Dr. Okonogi to suffer. The Doctor’s brain is still alive, by the way, so that’s why messages like “STOP!” appear whenever Shuzer hurts Red. But Shuzer can’t help but enjoy hearing that voice (laugh). He takes pleasure in the suffering of others.

Shuzer can be taken down with one more hit after he says “I’ve got Okonogi’s brain!”, so go ahead and use your special move while shedding bitter tears.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TIL that the game timer doesnt pause if you put the game to sleep unless you actually pause the game first, so all my clears have 100+ hours on them. i thought it was some weird thing with battle rank lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bump_fn posted:

i forgot how much the magma slimes fight sucks poo poo even when i have an aoe attack that can kill them all i’m not fast enough and they get enough hits on riki that he wipes before i get through them all

i suck

big trick is to use the thief's ring to give everyone a free round and to keep riki hidden. also if you have a couple mechs just hide riki and let them do most of the work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also if yiur battle rank is high enough that you can farm crystal trees in the bio research lab to get stone gas and you have tail swipe (riki starts with it) and one of the bite moves (fang, feral pounce, and uhhhhh one more) you can turn into a black dragon which has 8 LP. not much but its a bit of a cushion, also the form is super strong