Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
you're wrong about is a show about things people were wrong about (mostly maligned women, moral panics, and other manifestations of our society's failures) hosted by sarah marshall and michael hobbes.

there is an ongoing series within the podcast about OJ Simpson, the famous football man who definitely murdered his wife, that is very extremely good. one off episodes i personally enjoyed include the ones on homelessness, kitty genovese, and the stanford prison experiment. honestly though i think the best way to start listening to this podcast is to go through the archive and look for episodes with interesting topics. the order pretty much doesn't matter unless the episode is in a series.

michael hobbes hosts another podcast which is basically the health version of this show called maintenance phase and sarah marshall hosts another podcast about fatherhood expressed in movies called why are dads emotions and pop culture called you are good. i have not heard either of them very much but they could also be good to discuss in this thread.

Hustle Hound fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

The Modern Leper posted:

I feel bad, because I've basically cherry picked episodes for OJ Simpson content and am just now working through the rest of their actual stuff. A lot of the subject matters seem like major bummers, though (I noped out of the Matthew Shepard episode, for example), though I liked the PMRC series. Any tip on where to start?

EDIT: You actually gave three pretty good starting points right in the OP. Guess I'll start there?

yeah the show covers a lot of very dark material. even though i'm kind of there for that, a lot of the time i can't always stand to listen to a whole oj episode in one sitting, especially the early ones where they really focused on what an abusive piece of poo poo he was. if you're looking for something that isn't entirely depressing, i actually found the recent ones on vanessa williams pretty interesting. there's a bunch of "celebrities of the 20th century" type episodes in the feed and, while they are personally not always my thing, i enjoyed hearing about the story of her life in particular.

Hustle Hound fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 5, 2021

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
the most recent episode on the mcdonald's hot coffee lawsuit is a very good episode. even if you're familiar with the lawsuit, the second half discusses how the entire excessive frivolous lawsuit narrative was more or less made up wholecloth