Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lumpentroll posted:

you matter, op :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I don't think I've ever met a proper nihilis, usually they're just edgy/depressed young people trying to convince themselves that they're not actually upset with living in hell world. Meaning making is an integral part of human subjectivity. I don't think you can actually attain a true nihilistic being in the world without a deep mental break.

Embrace the meaning that is ready at hand and nourishes your soul. Learn to embrace that there will always be a lack of full grounding in the meaning you pick up. Joy can be found in the contradiction.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

err posted:

nothing matters, we will all die, any achievement or accomplishment anyone will attain will be forgotten and lost to time.

Does the existence of a definitive end point negate the possibility of meaning? Is meaning contigent on some kind of universal teleology? What does it mean to be lost to time? Meaning doesn't have to be permanent. Meaning as a subjective experience is of course always destined to perish with the individual experiencing it. Does your life not exist if it at some point comes to an end?

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm not upset living in hell world, I've never known anything else.

If you think expecting anything out of the world will bring you anything but suffering, I have thousands of years of philosophy to prove you wrong.

Is your assumption that suffering negates the existence of meaning? Aren't you implicitly positing the existence of meaning if you're claiming that suffering negates it? Isn't this negative view, and acknowledgement, of suffering only possible in the framework of a meaning that allows you to understand it as such?

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
An intellectual embrace of nihilism is only has surface level affects on who you are and how you interact with the world. To fully absorb and build your subject life around nihilism involves repeated application and practice to fully change how you operate at a primal level. But the resolve to do such a thing relies on a basis that deems such an undertaking as "good" or "valuable", words without meaning in a nihilistic universe.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

endlessmonotony posted:

There's no meaning to suffering and dying.

It's just something that happens to almost all of us.

Some lucky bastards get to be organ donors.

I don't think you could feel envious of organ donors without a meaningful framework that places them in a desirable position.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gringostar posted:

i could go for some arbys

The existence of Arby's may be the best argument for nihilism.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I've never seen true detective before, looks neat. Thanks!

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't think you can separate what I think and do from "suffering and dying".

That sounds awful, I'm sorry.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The babes in politics thread gave my life meaning.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

err posted:

you are a fucker, but it doesn't matter because i am a nihilist

<3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation