Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's a handful of localization choices that just bug me from what I've seen so far and I get the feeling I haven't seen the last of them. Also I just noticed that opening chests don't seem to do anything for your combo meter, its a super minor quirk in the grand scheme of things but I feel like any little bit helps when one of your criteria is "how long can you keep a chain of hits going".

Edit: poo poo, I page sniped, update at the bottom of the last page.

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 4: A Dungeon Crawling Experience :siren:

Tokyo Xanadu's dungeons are...fine? Passable, maybe, is the right word. The combat isn't interesting enough to carry it over another 50 iterations of "This, but blue", but it's just inoffensive enough to fade into the background. They make for okay optimization puzzles, I suppose, but that's about all I can really say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm still baffled they went with Spirit, Shadow, and Steel in the localization. Just make it Dark and Metal, guys!

What would have made infinitely more sense would have been making them Ice and Earth instead of Spirit and Steel (especially since Asuka is explicitly using ice!) and then the whole thing would have just made sense without the need for a chart at all. But what are you gonna do, I guess.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah the loc in general is... iffy at best. There are parts of it that are totally fine, and then there are parts that *really* needed another editing/consistency pass -- pay attention to how often they try to equate the Japanese three-level school system to the US four-level one in different and exciting ways! And the Vita version was even messier, if you can believe it. (Supposedly, anyway, I haven't tried directly comparing them to be fair.)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 12, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Also I just noticed that opening chests don't seem to do anything for your combo meter, its a super minor quirk in the grand scheme of things but I feel like any little bit helps when one of your criteria is "how long can you keep a chain of hits going".

Some later dungeons do this little gotcha where you need to hit a switch down a dead-end path, and if you smash all the boxes on your way in then your combo will run out before you reach the next fight.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 12, 2021

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Not gonna lie. I thought this game would have extremely stilted turn based combat instead of this real time stuff.

The portraits on the right and combat like that make me think we're about to get Sora, Donald and Goofy joining us.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I love how Asuka's keyblade-like sword has the word hearts in its name.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

There's a handful of localization choices that just bug me from what I've seen so far and I get the feeling I haven't seen the last of them. Also I just noticed that opening chests don't seem to do anything for your combo meter, its a super minor quirk in the grand scheme of things but I feel like any little bit helps when one of your criteria is "how long can you keep a chain of hits going".

Edit: poo poo, I page sniped, update at the bottom of the last page.
I mentioned this on the discord, but TX suffers from being a secondary project farmed out to a secondary translation team. (Admiral H. Curtiss apparently has a story about the translation.) I really wish they'd had a month or two more of leeway to get things just right.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Yeah, the combat and dungeons in the game are just kinda fine. They mainly get by just on the game being extremely quick so while everything happening isn't that special it all moves at a very good pace making it never really drag outside of like some sections. Not really interesting enough to make the game recommendable based off them but also something that never brings the experience down.

And yeah in localization is largely fine but rough, though as Curtiss mentioned I have heard that the Vita versions localization was much worse and actually got pretty bad which does make me curious.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I checked a Vita let's play and it's virtually identical so far, though, they did cut Yukino calling Kou "young man" and just has him get upset that she's reacting to him arriving so off-handedly. I guess they might have patched anything particularly egregious.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 5: White Shroud :siren:

Today's video is a short one, but it sees us embark on our first side story and introduces the White Shroud. He's...well, he's a guy with a sword and that's all the game is going to tell us for now, but he's got some revelations for us way, way down the line.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

iirc Shadow is strong against itself as well as Light

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
drat, there's a Color Fixer in this story?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This is a decent game. Not super-deep or the most well-written/most interesting JRPG I've seen, but it has a couple nice twists. Catching up to the LP now.

- I think the implication with Kou winding up back home is that Asuka took him home.
- I don't watch anime, and even I can tell this has a pretty generic feel. The trick though is that Falcom likes to start out with generic characters to get you nodding along and not paying attention, and some of them pull the rug out from underfoot when you're not expecting it.
- You can't fill out the friends page without being on a NG+, as there are some nodes which... well, I won't get into it, but suffice to say that you can't see everything without a NG+ playthrough.
- A lot of the named characters in the school - and some of the ones outside the school - have one side-quest each.
- I don't know why the monsters are named Greed, as there doesn't seem to be an special association with greed.
- Being able to see what types of Greed you'll fight in a dungeon is very helpful once you have more than 3 people in your party. Some Greed types are easily dispatched fodder by anyone, so you want to tailor your party so that they can hit the elemental weaknesses of the tougher types.
- It's not hard to S-Rank dungeons, the key thing is hitting elemental weaknesses, and keeping a combo chain going. Do those two things, and you're more than halfway there. The combo chain is a little trickier because sometimes you need to backtrack, so the best way to keep the combo chain up is to NOT destroy specific boxes (or leave an enemy alive). That's for replaying dungeons, because you won't know what boxes/enemies to leave behind the first time through.
- Getting a reasonably high rank in your stats does unlock an ending, but you've got a lot of leeway to get that much.
- In fairness to the White Shroud dying, the game was literally prompting you with the button to use your Ex Skill, which makes you invulnerable while it's being performed.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If White Shroud is someone already introduced, my guess it that it's Kou's boss.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

White Coke posted:

If White Shroud is someone already introduced, my guess it that it's Kou's boss.

That sounds like the most likely outcome. Comedy option: It's Ryouta.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I don't know why the monsters are named Greed, as there doesn't seem to be an special association with greed.

it is actually Greedo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

This was my initial guess too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

drat, there's a Color Fixer in this story?

I hope not. While I am not particularly attached to the cast of this game I don't think I am ready to see them get maimed/traumatized due to having any connection to the Lobo Corp setting.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

This was my initial guess too.

It seems so obvious that if it turns out to be true it’d be more subversive than any alternatives.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
White Shroud is so overpowered, once you got them for real, all you need is a Shadow elemental character and you basically able to hit all weaknesses. Also, WS Power Attack is so powerful it can destroy a small group of enemies in one go.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 18, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Seems a little spoilery.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

megane posted:

Seems a little spoilery.

With how predictable this game is, is it really?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We will, before the end of the game, have White Shroud as a party member. Anything further than that can wait until it happens.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 6: Grandpa Kokonoe :siren:

In which Towa narcs on us to our martial artist grandfather and then smiles and walks away. Truly, she is a demon to be feared behind that smile.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The intro is very clever for a couple reasons. One of which is the stuff which it leaves out to avoid spoiling the game.
- That wasn't an untranslated text box. It was the same passage read first in English with English subtitles, then in Japanese with Japanese subtitles. It was the class exercise.
- There's a lot more gratuitous English in this game than I expected - for instance a lot of the battle/special move quotes are in English, although it's not always easy to tell. Asuka's VA's read of that passage is a lot better than most of the rest of the cast's reads of English lines, which fits because Asuka has been overseas.
- Kou being a potential wielder is why the memory wipe didn't fully work on him the first time.
- At the end of Chapter 1, Asuka's inner monologue specifically said "Eclipses have been appearing far more frequently of late. I'm starting to get worried," so what's happened so far isn't necessarily representative of the average.
- If you're concerned about Kou talking to Asuka even though she's avoiding him, do Asuka's Friendship Episode in this free time, which addresses that.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 20, 2021

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Wait, what?

A Trails of Cold Steel anime?

....huh.

Wonder how many of the games they'll try and fit in per season.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Going to take a stab in the dark and say that the reason we'll probably never be able to recruit Towa as a potential party member is that she'd end fights with nothing more than a few words and a cold glare.

Weeble posted:

Wait, what?

....huh.

Assuming it's a typical 26 episode season, I imagine they'd have to break things up to fit pacing. If the Cold Steel games get as dense as Estelle's saga gets, then each game would have to receive at least two or three seasons just to cover all the main content. Sure, some side quests will get dropped, but Falcom's games are not things you can hyper compress into one season.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Falcom's games are not things you can compress into a single game, even.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Weeble posted:

Wait, what?

....huh.

It's been a while since the news dropped but from what I remember it doesn't actually follow the games and just takes place in Erebonia around the time of the Cold Steel games, hence the name. So in that regard, it could be basically anything.

My dude the last thing I uploaded was video 17, trust me when I say I got this and don't need your hot LP tips like which bond events to see (that's going to be up the thread once we get there anyway).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Artix posted:

It's been a while since the news dropped but from what I remember it doesn't actually follow the games and just takes place in Erebonia around the time of the Cold Steel games, hence the name. So in that regard, it could be basically anything.

My dude the last thing I uploaded was video 17, trust me when I say I got this and don't need your hot LP tips like which bond events to see (that's going to be up the thread once we get there anyway).
Well, if they want to keep up the historical parallels they could do worse than to bother Mike Duncan. :v:

Call of Cthulhu the roleplaying game is really popular in the Japanese tabletop scene. I'm not surprised to see its source material come up here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Wild Arms 3 had a nice (changing!) op, in part because its English vocals really fit the Western vibe.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Artix posted:

Anton Saves The World

Again

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Call of Cthulhu the roleplaying game is really popular in the Japanese tabletop scene. I'm not surprised to see its source material come up here.

I can believe that, though, in the Japanese version the question is 'What is "It becomes an unforgettable journey" in Japanese?' Hope you remember your high school English lessons!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 7: Saboru and the 3D Pig She-Orcs :siren:

Please find better friends, Jun. You don't need someone like that in your life.

Anyway, now that we've officially reached free time, it's time for some :siren: thread participation! :siren: As mentioned in the video, we just executive decisioned this chapter, but going forward this grave responsibility will be in your hands. Now that we've met everyone relevant, you may pick 2 of the following characters for the Chapter 3 free time, and we will hang out with the top 3.

You are free to state your case in the thread, but the link to the poll is here.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Shame there's no option for Ryouta.

Yet.

But man, this really is just Cold Steel 1/2 but set in the "real" world.

Falcom and their hidden quests.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you put Rion and Towa's names together it almost sounds like Ryouta

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I really hope Rion's plotline involves Kou putting her CD under some books and never remembering to listen to it

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- One of the girls has the crush on the English teacher, the other one just finds amusement in watching her friend's hopes being crushed at every turn.
- The reason for using NiaR really is "more accurate", instead of "less traceable" because Niar posts leave a record online which pretty much anyone can see.
- “Look at Chiaki trying to shame Sora for being good.” – You’re not wrong.
- Kou being unimpressed with Rion is always great.

About hidden quests…

- It’s true that hidden quests exist, but a lot of RPG’s hide all quests or force you to explore all over to find them (even if they put exclaimation marks over people’s heads). Falcom hands out most of the quests up-front in one centralized location, and in the more modern games, hidden quests are usually found only at specific times.
- I think all of the side-quests, including the hidden ones, are done on free days (if the chapter allows for a free day). There is definitely stuff which can be missed, but it isn't for a side-quest.
- Are you sure you’re thinking of Chapter 2 for a hidden quest at night just before advancing the main plot? Chapter 2 doesn’t even have any hidden quests. The “plot will advance” warning doesn’t always mean there are side-quests which can expire, it can sometimes just mean “this is your last chance to upgrade equipment or buy stuff before there’s a dungeon/fight”.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Gorou is part of Confidant? Kinda sus to me. Nevermind that he has the same first name as a certain detective prince in Persona 5 which I'm pretty sure everyone who knows JRPG knows about that guy. Towa obviously gets a pass though since she's a cute little girl.

Shame that the Confidant link are limited outside of new game+ unlike in Persona 5

Guess I'll go with Rion, and Sora since they're playable characters and Kou gets more benefits from their S-Link compared to the NPCs one. Besides, I like the chemistry between Kou and Rion and Sora is badass little sister figure.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

About hidden quests…
Commence talking to every character in the game, which there are a lot. Or just look up a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Gorou is part of Confidant? Kinda sus to me. Nevermind that he has the same first name as a certain detective prince in Persona 5 which I'm pretty sure everyone who knows JRPG knows about that guy. Towa obviously gets a pass though since she's a cute little girl.

Look if we're gonna say two characters having the name "Goro" immediately makes them sus, then that should be canceled out because they also share that name with a man who 100% is not sus and is totally trustworthy.