Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This game is absolutely unafraid to show how much it's ripping off Persona 4 and I can respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The lack of bosses in the key dungeons does add to the feeling that this quest to get Shiori back is simply too easy.

I don't believe that Nemesis and Zodiac went around and mindwiped everyone in the city, I think that them forgetting the events of being in the Box was some kind of natural effect as the unreality of the Eclipse faded away. I do understand the confusion though since Zodiac explicitly did mindwipes after the Mist Witch incident. I think that forgetting about the Eclipse is something which tends to happen naturally, and the additional mindwipes are supposed to be something to make sure people forget.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Artix: So this is what the next six hours of eX+ consists of.

Argate and Me:

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1510795213245083649

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm very upset about what's to come.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And you all thought I was joking about the Ryouta Redemption Arc™

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb7mFcJKrB8

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Artix posted:

Please take it back. Take the whole thread back

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'll be honest, I was really waiting for you to get to eX+ content knowing what was there.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

This game is absolutely unafraid to show how much it's ripping off Persona 4 and I can respect that.

It makes me wonder what kind of theme the Personas of the XRC members would have.

Artix posted:

Does it work? Is he redeemed? Does he get a Soul Device?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 94: Rem's Darkest Secrets :siren:

Somehow, despite all odds, the concert seems to go fine? Along the way, however, we learn some extremely cursed knowledge about Rem and I hope we never see any proof of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SPiKA shows are so disastrous so often that they've acquired two kinds of fans:

a) fans who cheer when nobody dies; and

b) fans who cheer when somebody does die

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

SPiKA shows are so disastrous so often that they've acquired two kinds of fans:

a) fans who cheer when nobody dies; and

b) fans who cheer when somebody does die

SPiKA is the NASCAR of idol groups. Both types of fans love their rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

SPiKA is the NASCAR of idol groups. Both types of fans love their rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner though.

Rion does war an obnoxious trucker hat for half the game :hmmyes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Rion" was actually "Lee Ann" all along

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 95: Father of the Year, the Sequel :siren:

Today we get the one-two punch of the second half of the movie *and* the gang intervening in a family dispute that they have nothing to do with. I hope Argate is happy, he made this happen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there are two expressions that show teeth; otherwise Tokyo Xanadu is entirely toothless

unless you count Vampyre

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

For posterity, what I sent to Artix was my April Fools' joke this year, an episode of the Yakuza: Like a Dragon LP encoded for GBA Video.

ChaosArgate posted:

And for the morbidly curious, I did make GBA Video ROMs for this update; I stuck them on my Everdrive and recorded them back like that for yesterday, so if you wanna see them on hardware for yourself, I'll link them here too. These are compressed down to roughly 7.5 FPS at a whopping 12 kbps.

Uncut: https://www.dropbox.com/s/odc2etg42cou1e8/Y7-70u.gba?dl=0
Cut: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qs5ysyn79t4o65s/Y7-70c.gba?dl=0

I even made boxart for this!

And here's some pictures I took of the episode running on hardware.

My IPS GBA:

A Phat DS:

Using GameBoy Interface on GameCube upscaled to 1080p via RetroTINK 5x for recording:

By the time I had both the Uncut and Cut versions of the GBA Video version uploaded, I realized I coulda turned on the LCD scanlines during the recording process to really sell the authentic GBA look with a nice pixel grid, but I had already sat through this episode like 8 times on that day alone so I decided against it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Comparing Kou to Commander Shepard makes me think of basically the only thing I know about Mass Effect: "I'm Kou Tokisaka, and this is my favorite store in Morimiya!"

That whole sidequest was just begging to have The Living Years dubbed over it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Comparing Kou to Commander Shepard makes me think of basically the only thing I know about Mass Effect: "I'm Kou Tokisaka, and this is my favorite store in Morimiya!"

Shio endlessly calibrating the noodles

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 96: Hot Springs Special :siren:

The gang takes another trip to the hot springs to take advantage of the great deal they're apparently offering to literally everyone in Morimiya, and gets the hardest, most complicated key yet along the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I honestly expected the video to end with Artix going "Please, don't give me what I want".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- In the previous video, I do want to note that it's a nice touch that Ryouta's Kendo club head noted that Ryouta was working extra-hard in club because he was upset that he couldn't do anything to help Kou. (Obviously, Kou can't explain what's wrong because Ryouta has no memory of Shiori.)
- Ah, I was right, it seems like memories of the Eclipse usually do get replaced.
- I didn't actually find the boss encounter all that hard. Long, sure, but it wasn't too difficult. And by this point you have a billion healing items, AND items to restore your gauges.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yes, but we've already established Artix's opinions regarding the use of items.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

We've also established Artix's opinions regarding the use of gauges.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Yes, but we've already established Artix's opinions regarding the use of items.

Tokyo Xanadu: here's 50,000 healing items. Please use them occasionally.

Artix:

e: lol I appear to have pissed off someone in the TVIV Star Trek thread.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ohdear: don't go smashing up your toy spaceships, Worf and Data were just coming around to take a look at those

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

:ohdear: don't go smashing up your toy spaceships, Worf and Data were just coming around to take a look at those

Fool! Worf does not play with boys toys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7oWXooPT80

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 97: A Puppy and His Girl :siren:

And so we come to the end of Tokyo Xanadu, for real this time. The boss isn't really hard per se, but it is very long and its attacks hit like a truck. Stay tuned! eX+ is up next.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

This is actually why using Yuuki is one of my favourite tactics, because it takes the danger out of things like this. Spend your entire time moving around and dodging, move in with someone faster to rebuild gauge, then back out to keep blasting with Yuuki. My generally preferred party comp generally ends up something like Sora/Yuuki/Asuka.

I'm pretty sure you never did any of Yuuki's bond events, right (especially not the final one)? He very much does not get along with his father.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

primordial spirits cruising for schoolgirls like Edward loving Cullen...Kin of Twilight amirite

Falcom has done the better ending you describe in another of their games, literally beat for beat

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 16, 2022

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
"Falcom likes to jump through hoops to force Happy Endings."

Ys VIII begs to differ. That game made me depressed for a bit.

.....then again, Ys IX DOES fit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Yeah, this fox god thing only really came up in the intermission, and even then it was largely background stuff. Technically, it is set up by the game, but not set up well enough to prevent this from coming across as a total rear end-pull.
- "We can get Shiori back, no strings attached, all we have to do is kill a god." It turns out that there is a string attached to that, in eX+.
- The biggest saving grace for the length of the fight is that you at least already know the boss's moveset from the first encounter.
- I think what I do in this fight is spam all my gauges at the start to do a lot of damage, and start rebuilding the gauges. Gauges build pretty fast in boss battles, so there's not much point in holding onto them.

- Falcom really likes giving happy endings to as many people as possible, and that unfortunately undercuts a lot of the stakes and the plots in their games. They haven't really learned how to kill their darlings. Falcom absolutely does have a bad trait of undermining their own plots. Trails of Cold Steel 3 has at least three or four shocking twists which should be very emotionally powerful, but I just can't care because I don't believe that they'll really do it. (Because they already have undone a previous emotionally powerful moment.) Falcom has already shot itself in the foot and sawn off the tree branch it's standing on because they have proven that they're unwilling to commit to following through on the tragedy which should come from the consequences.

- "[Ex+ is] better than [the true ending], but still didn't need to exist" is pretty accurate - at least unless they make a sequel.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 98: A Halloween Hideaway :siren:

With Shiori back in the land of the living and the events of the summer behind us, it's time to move forward to Halloween! The harvest festival is in full swing, SPiKa is in town again, and we have a new bucket of bullshit from Yukino to tackle. What isn't to love?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That opening shot of the classroom was funny, with all the other students in uniform and Asuka looking like she just came from the gym. So congratulations on accidentally setting up the comedy shot. :v:

One might question the point of sneaking Spika into the club room if three of the members were just going to run off and practice right in the open in the gym though.

And yeah, the localization seems to have taken a nosedive for the Ex+ content, some of those subtitles were just embarrassing. Almost feels like a different company was used for the Ex+ content.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tokyo Xanadu is definitely a B or C game; Ys VIII is probably your best bet for seeing Falcom's A-game, Archaeozoic Big Holes notwithstanding

Commander Keene posted:

Almost feels like a different company was used for the Ex+ content.

there are more Cthulhu references and similar, so I think it was still the same intern

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh, I was wondering why the subtitle boxes were out of frame a whole bunch of times. :v: Just started with names being out of frame and then it got worse.

For a moment I thought it was the video being too big for some reason.

Edit: No wait, seems like my Youtube Windowed fullscreen script has suddenly gone weird on me and think my screen is a lot bigger. :raise:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 19, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh, Eclipse bullshit is still totally happening, just the insane spikes in activity caused by Dead Shiori Bubble aren't there anymore.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 99: Professional Trick-or-Treaters :siren:

One does not simply hand out balloons and candy to children on a whim, no sir. These tasks can only be trusted to highly professional teenagers wearing a wizard hat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I put on my robe and wizard hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For a moment I thought the quest title was "The Great Pumpkin is", which would've made it a snoopy reference. But then I went back and double checked and got disappointed.