Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 100: Oktoberfest Boats :siren:

We regrettably have reached the triple digit mark, but we're doing it in good company as we hang up posters for the Morimiya Brewing Festival and take a little romantic date out on the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"that" THING

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Multiple people tend to be good for each little mini-quest.
- You didn't talk to Mitsuki while wearing the costume, that's unfortunate. There's also special dialogue with her assistant if you choose her for the quest, and for Shiori's father if you took her. A lot of the events have some different variants of dialogue depending on who you take.
- "That THING" refers to the swan boat, since it's the boat rental guy talking about it and you can see the other boat.
- With the way the thread voted, they're going to miss out on the semi-secret variant on the ending. Most of the ending wrap-ups are more or less the same, it's the semi-secret one which has the most difference.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Occured to me to check and yes the wacky poster messages are another instance of the empty chest messages in the Trails game(s) where they're actually all the same generic message in Japanese but since each message is stored separately in the game they wrote different messages for each of them in the localisation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Multiple people tend to be good for each little mini-quest.
- You didn't talk to Mitsuki while wearing the costume, that's unfortunate. There's also special dialogue with her assistant if you choose her for the quest, and for Shiori's father if you took her. A lot of the events have some different variants of dialogue depending on who you take.
- "That THING" refers to the swan boat, since it's the boat rental guy talking about it and you can see the other boat.
- With the way the thread voted, they're going to miss out on the semi-secret variant on the ending. Most of the ending wrap-ups are more or less the same, it's the semi-secret one which has the most difference.

Once we're done with this side quest bullshit, you should do what Artix is too cowardly to do and give us our Gorou Everywhere bonus video.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 101: Revenge of the Morimaru Dance :siren:

We bring our little tour of Morimiya to a close by heading to the mall and saving the best(?) sidequest for last. And on that note, it's time to make one final vote. You may select one, and ONLY ONE, of our finalists here. Choose wisely, goons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

p sure -her- is Rem

Towa didn't get thrown under the bus, she just stopped to tie her shoe and the bus driver drove right over her without seeing; fortunately the bus wasn't low enough to hit

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Artix posted:

And on that note, it's time to make one final vote. You may select one, and ONLY ONE, of our finalists here. Choose wisely, goons.

Look at you acting like it's not gonna be Mr. Gorou.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I believe that you can get all the readings from Sadie the fortune teller done in the game, but you have to get one at every possible opportunity or else you'll fall short.

nine-gear crow posted:

Once we're done with this side quest bullshit, you should do what Artix is too cowardly to do and give us our Gorou Everywhere bonus video.

I gave it a shot, but I don't have the spare HD space at the moment because I can't see the usual hard drive I do recordings on. If I can get that sorted out, perhaps.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Remind me if you really need it because I'm sitting right there and can do it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rip

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The nightmare is finally over.
Only to be replaced by a new one later.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Just wait until we start the After Story eX++ content

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:negative:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

The nightmare is finally over.
Only to be replaced by a new one later.
If there's one thing I've learned from this crew of commentators, one of them will find a way to inflict Deep Hurtingtm on the others.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well in that case I hope Artis is getting a lot of payback for next time. :cheeky:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cooked Auto posted:

Well in that case I hope Artis is getting a lot of payback for next time. :cheeky:

Just wait until I con Argate into playing Xenoblade 2 so I don't have to. :v:

:siren: Part 102: The Ryouta Redemption Arc :siren:

They say it can't be done, but Falcom's gonna give it as good of a go as they can. Will they succeed? We'll find out in about 10 episodes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Play Xenoblade 2? I’ll have some footage on your desk by tomorrow! :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Q: How do Dark Crystals get around?
A: On roll-urSkeks

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Tokyo Xanadu really doesn't have many romance elements to it. I think that decision was at least partly because of Kou's repressed trauma from watching Shiori die.
- I know that there wasn't really any precedent for "very specific people from all over the city get sucked into Eclipse which is a largely - but not current - accurate recreation of the city", but not even I can defend the characters for how long it takes them to pick up on the obvious.
- The first time I played, I immediately caught Ryouta carrying that special kendo around from the start of the After Story as suspicious.
- Boundary of Exhaustion is a really painful and obnoxious dungeon - just from the environment alone.
- The game has been talking about "Spirit Arms" just about every time you visit the blacksmith. That seems to be more than just soul devices. Things the blacksmith made were used by the Karate club students in the battle outside Pandora's tower.
- Ryouta is slightly outclassed, he doesn't get all of the tools that other characters get, but he does have some unique advantages. I'm sure those will be discussed in the dungeon video. Overall, he's still a perfectly playable viable character, and he's actually easier, or at least less awkward to use than some of the main cast. There are ways to build his setup to play to his strengths.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 103: The Boundary of Exhaustion :siren:

Tokyo Xanadu has more than a few mechanical bits that don't really work with the overall game design, but none of them stand out as much as the game's platforming. It would be terrible if they suddenly started making it the focus of all these dungeons! But they would never do that, right?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Isn't hearing a bell the first symptom of White Chlorination Syndrome? Please tell me Ryouta ends up as a pillar of salt.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Geemer posted:

Please tell me Ryouta ends up as a pillar of salt.

he ends up as a sexy warrior maid

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
See, it doesn't matter that Ryouta doesn't have X-Strike, since you never use it!

I actually barely even remember this dungeon at all (at least not the trap portions) thanks to anti-trap food existing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- In NG+, you can carry over outfits, and one of them is Asuka's super-power mode, so you can use that at will on a NG+. I usually don't because it drains health constantly.
- Did... did you not see the shiny thing behind you at the end, outside Acros Tower? I hope you didn't miss all the Affinity shards.

Boring Ryouta Mechanics stuff:
- Ryouta's weapon is the Holy Bokken kendo stick. It's not a Soul Device, so he doesn't get the Boost Combo, Brave Soul, or Auto-Recover abilities, and his Master Core is locked to the Spirit-type Bohdi's Orb. On the other hand, his Master Core grants a flat +30% Critical Hit base chance, and he has a whopping seven slots to insert elements, one of which is locked to Spirit, the others are free.

- Because of his high base critical hit chance, it's a good idea to stack him with accessories and Elements which boost that further, and Elements which boost the damage critical hits do.

- The cap on critical hit chance in the game is 100%, and if you have a fully-filled out character notebook in the After Story (only possible in NG+ because some entries are tied to bonding events), you can get an incredible accessory called the Rainbow Crown which gives +77 to all stats and +77% Critical Chance. Ryouta can have a 100% Critical Hit chance with each hit doing +50% extra damage.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The weird part about Jun's lack of costumes is that we've seen him with at least 4 options by this point: White Shroud (with and without hood), casual wear, school uniform and his badly injured White Shroud version from late in the main game (which is basically "White Shroud without the cloak"). So, the only guess I can make as to why Jun doesn't get anything besides the White Shroud outfit is in the same vein of what Argate said: the combat animations are all built around the White Shroud outfit and removing the cloak just messes with the game in some form.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

The weird part about Jun's lack of costumes is that we've seen him with at least 4 options by this point: White Shroud (with and without hood), casual wear, school uniform and his badly injured White Shroud version from late in the main game (which is basically "White Shroud without the cloak"). So, the only guess I can make as to why Jun doesn't get anything besides the White Shroud outfit is in the same vein of what Argate said: the combat animations are all built around the White Shroud outfit and removing the cloak just messes with the game in some form.

And even that, it turns out, is not true, because people have been able to use model swapping mods to put other characters' models over the main party without incident. I've seen a video of someone running around using Jun in his White Shroud undersuit in the place of Asuka and it seems to work just fine. I think it's a matter of Falcom's B-Team just being exceedingly cheap to its two extra-game characters.

Because apparently everyone's character model in the game is actually just a costume that can be applied to a default animation rig, so you can slap basically any model in the game onto anyone by loving with the costume values and that character will show up in-game.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 8, 2022

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Slap the Towa costume onto the Mr. Gorou rig.

Finally, Towa with a gun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Weeble posted:

Slap the Towa costume onto the Mr. Gorou rig.

Finally, Towa with a gun.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

And even that, it turns out, is not true, because people have been able to use model swapping mods to put other characters' models over the main party without incident. I've seen a video of someone running around using Jun in his White Shroud undersuit in the place of Asuka and it seems to work just fine. I think it's a matter of Falcom's B-Team just being exceedingly cheap to its two extra-game characters.

Because apparently everyone's character model in the game is actually just a costume that can be applied to a default animation rig, so you can slap basically any model in the game onto anyone by loving with the costume values and that character will show up in-game.
Well, that is quite the informative find. Now I kind of want to see crazy poo poo like Final Boss Shiori or Rem being hacked into the playable party.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, that is quite the informative find. Now I kind of want to see crazy poo poo like Final Boss Shiori or Rem being hacked into the playable party.

I have seen people do both of those things. Someone put Final Boss Shiori onto Rion, and again it worked basically fine.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

I see this as an absolute win.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 104: The Cutscene Delivery Tube :siren:

Since the game has committed to doing the "get the gang back together" bit a second time, it's time to start doing exactly that. Unfortunately, the developers quickly realized that they don't actually have enough dungeons (or ideas) to *do* the bit, so...well, here we are.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I forget, are there enough affinity shards to unlock all the wack rear end crystal prisons?

Just once, I want to see an RPG where the stakes escalate to fate of the kingdom/world/universe, and the shops just loving donate their stuff to the PCs who are trying to save everybody. :capitalism:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

I forget, are there enough affinity shards to unlock all the wack rear end crystal prisons?

Just once, I want to see an RPG where the stakes escalate to fate of the kingdom/world/universe, and the shops just loving donate their stuff to the PCs who are trying to save everybody. :capitalism:

Yes, you can and the game in fact does expect you to unseal every dark crystal across Morimiya before completing eX+.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Can't believe Crow made it into the game as a gacha figure and Artix is too cowardly to show it off.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

The first Lunar game does this. The shopkeeper who used to be a party member tells you to just take whatever you need, and all prices at that store are set to zero.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Those capsule toys get you stuff if you trade in a complete set of the Kagemaru series to Hitomi (the cat-loving girl), and the Magical Girl Alisa set to Saboru. I don't remember what you actually get, and I don't really care enough to check. At this point in the game, though, you no longer have access to either of them, so there's no point getting them now.
- Sadie not being able to read the future does make sense given what the opponent is.
- In CS 3, in the one time Towa is actually in your party, Falcom actually takes away Towa's gun and she doesn't fight, she just has a Brave Order (that's a multiple-turn party-wide buff).
- The After Story is pretty short. Without the walking around talking to NPC's/investigating sections to break up the dungeon exploring, I think it's a good idea that the dungeons to retrieve your party are short, instead of long.
- Yeah, you could have talked to Shiori's dad in the bookstore before the evening. Obviously he has different dialogue if Kou chooses Shiori to accompany him handing out candy.
- If Kou does in fact friend everyone possible, and get all their information, you can get the best accessory in the game in the After Story. It's not easy, and it requires being on NG+ because some character info is from bonding events with friends, and without infinite Affinity Shards, you don't have enough Affinity Shards to see all the events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 105: Mr. Kitteh :siren:

By the good graces of Sora's landlord, we were spared her taste in pet names. We can only pray Hitomi did a better job.