Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's see if we can't pry Jun away from his... "friends", shall we? And let's also hang with Sora I guess. I don't have a justification for that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rion and Sora seem the most interesting to me right now. Mostly because as stated, Rion playing off of Kou's complete disinterest is great, and also the game seems to be pretty up front about what Sora's Social Link is gonna be about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AweStriker posted:

Let's see if we can't pry Jun away from his... "friends", shall we? And let's also hang with Sora I guess. I don't have a justification for that side.

Nothing wrong with wanting to hang out with Sora to try and make her feel better after dealing with that rear end in a top hat in her club.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 8: Hot Fuzz, the Anime :siren:

It's time to hang out with our friends in a completely normal and definitely appropriate way, as we *checks notes* follow Asuka across literally the entire city to try and talk to her after she explicitly tells us to gently caress off. Looking good there, Kou.

Also! Please ignore the obviously edited in post statement about how bonds work, the game just hasn't told us that we're on Cold Steel 2 rules yet. If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it! It'll be clear soon enough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oh god, I can't unsee the gourd faces now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Oh, those shiny rocks I've been scooping into my pockets just for the hell of it? You mean to tell me they're actually good for something?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It sounds to me like Asuka has been going around badmouthing Kou to everyone in town. “Oh my god, he’s so pitiful; he doesn’t even know how to cook for himself, so his girlfriend has to do it for him. Please give the boy some goddamn eggs”

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Even though Kou following her probably doesn't come off great, I will give Kou credit for being brief, apologizing for his behavior, then leaving her be. In fairness, I imagine many people would also have a lot of questions upon learning about extradimensional creatures that leak into their dimension and attack their friends.
- Bond level does have a mechanical impact, there are certain combat mechanics which the game hasn't revealed yet, and having a high enough bond with a person enables you to use with them or improves them. However, I think there's more than enough leeway to get all of that.
- Food is largely inconsequential, except for that which has the "Nullifies Trap Damage" effect. That stuff is really good, because it makes you immune to any kind of environmental/trap damage and it lasts for a while.
- I'm not entirely sure how people know about Tokisaki, but the pharmacist did say that Hiiragi mentioned him, so she possibly mentioned him to other people as well. It would not surprise me that such an organization as Nemesis would be interested in knowing about anyone who can manifest Soul Devices.
- One quality-of-life improvement over Trails of Cold Steel's cooking is that in TX, you don't actually need the person with you to have them cook for you.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

"Since you're a huge dweebus that relies on others to not starve to death, have a recipe for a loving omelette and some eggs. Feed your own drat self!"
*immediately grabs his phone to call Hiiragi and have her drop everything to come over and cook the omelette for him*

Geemer fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 27, 2021

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So when do we fight the boss with the rare non-fungible token item drop?

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Shiori is my favorite character in the game. And I preferred her over Hiiragi. It's just too bad that I know my anime enough to know that she's going to suffer the curse of being childhood friend.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Food is largely inconsequential, except for that which has the "Nullifies Trap Damage" effect. That stuff is really good, because it makes you immune to any kind of environmental/trap damage and it lasts for a while.

My favorite strategy against bosses: Eat crit boosting food and just go to town on them spamming super moves and Power skill.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Shiori is my favorite character in the game. And I preferred her over Hiiragi. It's just too bad that I know my anime enough to know that she's going to suffer the curse of being childhood friend.
Considering Artix said in the video that the only two relationship values that have an effect on the ending are Asuka's and Shiori's, maybe not.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Considering Artix said in the video that the only two relationship values that have an effect on the ending are Asuka's and Shiori's, maybe not.
Relationship values do have other (small) benefits, but we'll see them when they show up.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Alright then.

My brain has been automatically substituting the terms the game is trying to use with the Trails jargon.

Sepith, quartz, etc.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Weeble posted:

Alright then.

My brain has been automatically substituting the terms the game is trying to use with the Trails jargon.

Sepith, quartz, etc.

Oh I'm sure you've noticed but I don't even pretend to do otherwise. I legitimately have no idea what the "quartz" of this game are actually called. Elements, maybe?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I choose to believe that the ingredients were sent through the phone in the same way as the gems. As Kou said, "Probably best not to think about it too hard."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

eat the eggs Kou

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 9: Kou Tokisaka, Interior Decorator Extraordinaire :siren:

In today's update, we discover Kou's budding talent for interior decoration. Truly, that cactus is the start of something great.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You don’t technically “own” the soul device itself, no, but rather you own access to it through a unique, non-fungible record stored on the blockchain

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That cactus will probably be the key to stopping the Big Bad 45 hours from now, won't it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

megane posted:

You don’t technically “own” the soul device itself, no, but rather you own access to it through a unique, non-fungible record stored on the blockchain

Kou's weapon literally is a block-chain

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The room decorations are similar to hidden quests, some of them are found in stores, but many more are obtained by finding specific NPC's at specific locations on certain days and talking to them.
- The fortunes you van get at the shrine have a benefit. If you keep purchasing fortunes until you get "Small Blessing: Money - an unexpected windfall may come your way", or "Great Blessing: Money - serious money is coming your way", Kou will make a quip about playing the lottery. That's actually a hint, because if you do so with that as your latest fortune, it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll win the grand prize in the lottery from the booth in Station Square if you buy tickets at that point. Buy 5, and you'll win both the grand and second-place prizes.
- Sousuke said that courage is about proving your bravery and pushing beyond your limits, so I guess I can see how A or S-rank is "pushing beyond your limits", especially as dungeons get tricker and have more hidden stuff pretty much required to reach "S" rank.
- I don't usually consider the "you are about to advance the main plot" warnings ominous.... except that there's a much, MUCH more ominous "you are about to advance the plot" warning in a future chapter.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 1, 2021

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 10: The Piss Dungeon :siren:

So how do you all feel about the color yellow?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I Am Going To Swing My Arms And If You Walk Into Them It's Your Fault

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I give points to Sora for punching a giant demon and not breaking her arm but she couldn't choose a better like like "Run Away!!!!"?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Slaan posted:

I give points to Sora for punching a giant demon and not breaking her arm but she couldn't choose a better like like "Run Away!!!!"?

Even if she had tried that (which she might have done), she would have ended up at a rock wall blocking her path at some point.

- I like how the difference in skill between Kou and Asuka is reflected in their weapons and fighting styles. Asuka, the professional, is swift and efficient. Not a lot of wasted movement in her attacks. Kou, who got his power unexpectedly has a whip-sword. His attack style is literally flailing at the enemies. It's a little more awkward and doesn't flow as well. Lots of wasted movement. But it does cover an area better, which helps against small, fast enemies like these pixie-type Greeds.
- Impressive keeping the combo going after the forced air-dash tutorial, I usually lose it if the tutorial appears.
- Kou's air-dash kinda uses his thing as a grappling hook, except that it grapples into nothing, then Kou is pulled behind it.
- The music for this dungeon is "Strayed Into Passage". I like the "echo-ey" bit.
- Breaking all boxes and finding all treasure chests also contribute to rank as well, so getting all of that helps you to not need a combo chain of 200. The bonus for combo chain caps for reaching 200 hits no matter how high your chain is, so if you get it up over 200 even once, you don't really need to worry about it again, which is good to know for some of the game's longer dungeons.
- The golem boss's long spin move is really annoying. You can almost, but not quite chain the dodge (flash guard) moves, but the last one usually gets you.
- The first boss was a chapter boss. The golem is a mid-boss, which is one reason why he's not as hard.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And here I thought the Sakura versus Zangief matchup was tilted in favor of the former.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Yes. We finally unlocked Power Skill. Sure it's slow to execute, but it does deals big damage, and give you super armor, and around 50-75% damage reduction during the attack animation. Why bother dodging when the big damage reduction allows you to just face tank enemies attack without trouble? It also especially good at racking up special kill bonuses.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I like how the difference in skill between Kou and Asuka is reflected in their weapons and fighting styles. Asuka, the professional, is swift and efficient. Not a lot of wasted movement in her attacks. Kou, who got his power unexpectedly has a whip-sword. His attack style is literally flailing at the enemies. It's a little more awkward and doesn't flow as well. Lots of wasted movement. But it does cover an area better, which helps against small, fast enemies like these pixie-type Greeds.

Kou's moveset are pretty plain overall and his shooting skill sucks. At least he finishes his normal combo the fastest out of all characters since it's just 3-hit combo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm still tickled a bit by the phrase FATAL KILL

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
What exactly breaks your combo? Normally it's getting hit or letting enough time pass without hitting the enemy, but I think both happened in this video to no consequence.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Solitair posted:

What exactly breaks your combo? Normally it's getting hit or letting enough time pass without hitting the enemy, but I think both happened in this video to no consequence.
I believe it's just about the timer running out without hitting an enemy or breakable object. (Chests don't count.) That last little sliver is decently generous. Getting hit only matters for this so far as it wastes time putting you in a stun animation. It otherwise affects your score in the damage taken category, so the designers probably wanted to avoid double-dipping in their scoring system.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solitair posted:

There's a little bar under the hit counter that slowly decreases the longer you go without scoring a hit. Hitting an enemy or breakable block refills the bar and there's like a half-second grace window before it starts to dwindle again. If the bar reaches 0, the combo ends.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 11: The Cell Phone Blacksmiths :siren:

Following the events of last night, Chiaki has decided to make herself scarce. Not the worst idea in the world, but Asuka and Kou are on the case to hunt her down. But first we need to upgrade our weapons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wouldn't it be crazy if we had misplaced memories of being cast into a dimensional monster labyrinth??? Haha but what if we did tho

Asuka just doesn't want Kou going into Eclipses on his own because he'll steal all the chest loot

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, the well known blacksmithing technique known as jailbreaking a phone.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Apple products all run on dangerous, barely-understood demon energy, and if you want to replace the battery or upgrade anything you have to take it to a specialized master blacksmith to hammer arcane soul spheres into it. And then there's the ones in this game, am I right guys

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

megane posted:

Apple products all run on dangerous, barely-understood demon energy, and if you want to replace the battery or upgrade anything you have to take it to a specialized master blacksmith to hammer arcane soul spheres into it. And then there's the ones in this game, am I right guys

That makes old man Jihei here a "right to repair" guy, who has gone into the underground after the last unsuccessful legal battle with the XiPhone company?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- That's a very interesting idea that the strength of a person's will can determine the effectiveness of the mind-wipe.
- Hiiragi "the professional" also checked in to see if the memory wipe took with Kou, except it was even less subtle. Clearly she has enough confidence in the mind-wipe that she thinks some mere prodding won't undo it.
- I guess it was intended as a joke, but protecting people - even annoying ones - from being killed by Eclipse monsters is kinda Asuka's whole secret job.

- Now that Kou is wandering around the city with a second person in the party, there's an amusing detail Falcom put into the game. Unlike other Falcom games, Tokyo Xanadu actually has bathrooms, and Kou can enter can enter them to recover some Strike points. If there's a party member accompanying him, they'll make a little comment. They only do that once in the entire game for each party member. In addition, if you try and have anyone enter the women's bathroom, they'll refuse, with a different comment of their own.

- There are two basic categories of Eclipse materials for crafting - elemental shards, and monster parts. Shards can be obtained from pretty much any Eclipse (not every eclipse can drop every element type), but monster parts tend to be dropped from only one specific eclipse. If you don't have enough monster parts for upgrades, you've got two options - revisit a cleared Eclipse, or buy the parts directly from a certain shop. I usually just re-clear the Eclipse because that doesn't take very long, it almost always gives you enough with only one run, and the gems you pick up give you money so you make a profit. That's really the only grinding worth doing.
- No, Kou and company enter the White Shroud Dungeon as themselves. You can't replay it as White Shroud without reloading back to the side story. If you go there, there is a short conversation, where they're confused because they haven't seen it before.

- Jun as Ryouta's life partner? The funny thing is that Ryouta has his very own "next-door-neighbour childhood friend" (Chizuru (black hair, purple sweater, glasses)) who he is completely oblivious to.
- The club members outside Sora's apartment weren't useless, they had important information which you actually need to pay attention to or else potentially miss out on a Wisdom increase. The game helpfully highlights it in a different color, though.

- The game will go into more detail about the Xiphone later, but it isn't just a bland name product used so the game doesn't have to use the name "iPhone" or "Apple".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 8, 2021

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 12: The Person Sitting Over There :siren:

Kou, it's Chiaki, she's sitting less than 10 feet away. Stop being weird about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you don't see it in-game but Star Camera also uses hammers & a forge