Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Shop Jack around
Don't pay that kind of big money for a reliever, bewbies, you should know better than that :v:
Let's not overthink this and go with Spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Spiders should win, but the Cleveland Rocks have always tickled me.

Ride out Leiter's deal & QO him.

Trade for the reliever so long as they just want us to take his salary as a dump.

e: Also, TAWMMY CORRAHSELL IS AH STAH!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

frankenfreak posted:

Shop Jack around (or QO him if the offers suck)
Don't pay that kind of big money for a reliever, bewbies, you should know better than that :v:
Let's not overthink this and go with Spiders

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

The Cleveland Burning Rivers

Shop Jack Around, don’t extend during the season

Don’t take the trade for the expensive reliever.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

the nosedive in potential thing leads to some interesting outcomes, but i think every single ootp player knows that the second your ace drops a few points in current ability you slam the trade button as hard as possible

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I mentioned this earlier but I do like how the randomness makes different in-universe players turn out differently. Kalafut, for instance, is a real player that shows up in the first or second draft (bewbies, i can't remember this) and often gets initially marked as an RP with a big bat. Most of the time in my games he turns out as an AAA to AAAA player, but the development appratus has people churn out differently.

Jordan Lawler is a 3x MVP in my current game and may be one of the best offensive 2nd basemen in history with a ++ glove. He can also turn out to be a middling AAAA shortstop. Kumar Rocker and Leiter often trade off who ends up being better from game to game. It's all fairly enjoyable and one of the better things that ootp does.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bewbies posted:

Sure can! In fact, let's crowdsource their new name and logo/colors/uniforms. Now taking nominations!

I'll submit the obvious one: Cleveland Spiders.

if the Spiders aren't the winner I will be sad

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2035 Playoffs

League News

In a strange move to make midseason, the Cleveland Indians change their name to the Cleveland Spiders. President Donald Trump Jr tweets about how the Cleveland ownership gave into the liberal correct PC mob and how True Americans support Racist Team Names, but the great looking new jerseys immediately fly to the top of all the sales charts.

The Demon Crow threatens baseball's first 50/50 season; the SBs dry up a bit in September though, and he has to settle for 40/40.

Milt Holdeman suffers another huge injury, and that is likely it for the former #3 overall pick. His career line: 390 IP, 5.16 ERA.

Ichiro once again threatens .400; with four games remaining, he's at .393. Then...yet again...he's lost for the year, this time with a broken finger.

The Angels catch fire in September and very nearly chase us down for the AL West crown. The Yankees and Dodgers domiante their respective leagues, as they often do.

Team News

Jack Leiter sends us no fewer than three emails asking where his extension is. We shop him around, but there aren't any really exciting offers -- certainly nothing clearly better than what we might land with a compensatory pick. We'll hang onto him and QO him. Plus, it is always nice to have a future hall of famer on your staff during playoff run.

Danny Bagley, our all-world LOOGY, goes down with another flexor tendon tear, his second in two seasons. His career is likely over, which really sucks...at the time of the injury, his ERA+ was 267.

Johnathan Fassi destroys AA as an 18 year old. He's maturing incredibly quickly, and might be ready to give the big leagues a shot next season....as a teenager. Yikes.

Tony Cuero goes to town on our old ballclub, fanning 18 Mariners...and very nearly losing the game after the M's score 4 runs in the 9th.

Shortly after the trade deadline, our star close Luis Sanchez tears a labrum and is out for the year. Wish that'd happened before the deadline...but now we have to replace him from within.

Great news in October though: Kevin Wright makes it through rehab ahead of schedule, and joins us for the playoffs!

We await the Ichiro-less Spiders in the ALDS.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It looks like Kalafut is close to toast. But between Bornstein and Sambrano we're 2/9ths of the way to a contact lineup!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2035 ALDS: Oakland A's vs Cleveland Spiders

We won a playoff series! For the first time since Pete died!

Game 3 was a classic. We were down 2-0, de la Torre singles. Jolley GIPDs. Then, with 2 outs, Sambrano hits a dinger....just barely. Then Jeff Larsen grounds to short...but the SS errors it. So, runner on first...Alex Flores up...he hits it 110.6 MPH...straight at the right fielder. Ball Game.

John McDormand might become the greatest pitcher on the planet, but we hit him hard in game 1!

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 10, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2035 ALCS: Oakland A's vs New York Yankees

This is the series the whole baseball world spent all season waiting for. A 107 win team versus a 102 win team. The biggest and richest team in baseball and a nearly half-billion-dollar payroll, versus Larry Burns' elephant sideshow and their piddly $128m, 28th ranked payroll. Baseball's best offense versus baseball's best defense and pitching.

The New York Yankees won games with one of the most fearsome lineups in recent memory. It all starts -- of course -- with the Demon Crow and what was probably the single best season by a position player in almost 160 years of big league baseball. They're more than just the Demon Crow, though -- Mike Gaar has put up 23 WAR over the last three seasons, SP/1B Ramrod Deysher gets on base nonstop, and Willie Rodriquez has been baseball's best DH for half a decade. The rest of their lineup -- the premium defensive positions -- focuses more on the glove, which shows up nicely on the stat sheet as well: they were the second best defensive team in baseball this year.

The Yanks rotation is...expensive. And solidly above average. They don't have a true ace, despite having 3 former Cy Young winners on the roster (two of which are working out of the pen). Two of them are former A's: Danny "Riff" Raiff, and Jeff Critz. Their bullpen has a nice top end, but lacks depth.

The Oakland A's are built around a mix of great starting pitching, a dominant bullpen, and tremendous defense. They have a number of solid hitters, but lack any super-dangerous bats -- no one in their lineup had an OPS above 900 this season. Their rotation, however, is gorgeous: they key off of second year phenom Tony Cuero and veteran workhorse Jack Leiter. Fan favorite and former 1st overall pick Tommy Coressel finally found his fastball at age 30, after 7 long years in the big leagues. The bullpen was baseball's best despite numerous injuries, and their defense -- keyed by double-play combo Abel Bornstein and Dan Jolley -- was also the league's best.

The Yanks led the league in runs and were second in runs against; the A's were 8th in runs scored, but first in runs against. The Yanks had a run differential nearly 100 higher than the A's, but the A's took the season series between the two, 4-3.

Players to Watch

The Yanks are keyed by the Demon Crow, but 3B Ramon Barcia slashed 375/375/500 against the A's this season, and was just named ALDS MVP after going 8 for 15 with 3 XBHs. Not too bad for a guy snagged off waivers in 2033.

The A's will need great pitching, but are hoping the offense comes from Jorge Sambrano. He slashed 500/519/1038 against the Yanks this season, and won ALDS MVP with a 500/588/1071 line.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

14.5 WAR and 235 OPS+ what the gently caress

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Some :words: on Daemon Wrona's incredible season.

14.5 WAR would be the most by a non-pitcher, ever. Better than Babe Ruth's 14.1 WAR in 1923. It's second highest ever for a player since 1900, two WAR behind Walter Johnson's 16.5 in 1913 (and .2 better than Big Train's 1912). Pretty much the only people who are out of reach are the 1800's pitchers who pitched every or almost every game of the season, Demon Crow would need to reach 20.3 WAR to top Tim Keefe's 1883. Likewise, his 180 runs scored is tops for modern players, pipping Babe Ruth in 1921 by 3. He'd have needed another 19 to place first all time, because Sliding Billy Hamilton crossed the plate 198 times for the Phillies in 1894.

245 OPS+, though, is merely historically great. Heck, Barry Bonds has 3 (THREE!!!) seasons higher. So, Demon Crow's merely 6th on that leaderboard, behind Barry, Ruth, and Fred Dunlap's 1884.* Likewise, his .505 OBP is merely historically great. Heck, Mickey Mantle had a .512 in 1957. All told 19 players have had a season where they reached base 1/2 the time they got to the plate. Most of his other stats are pedestrian. His .493 wOBA sounds good, until you realize that it would have been a below average season for Babe Ruth. 150 BB is nice, and good for but Barry Bonds walked 232 times in 2004. Heck, Eddie Yost walked 151 times in 1956.** His 1.240 OPS is a hair better than Lou Gehrig's 1927... which is 14th all time.

What I'm saying is, this Wrona kid stinks. He's no Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds. He's not even a Ted Williams. Maaaybe he's a Rogers Hornsby... crossed with Willie Mays' defensive talents.

* Dunlap was a very good hitter, 141 OPS+ in the National League for the first 4 years of his career, but he spent 1884 in the Union Association. The UA was a NL competitor league with that folded after one year, and only through dint of historical precedent is considered a major league. Though now I wonder what Mike Trout would hit if he played a full season at AA ball.

** That year Eddie managed a 104 OPS+, or just above league average. He slashed .231/.412/.336. Eat your heart out Jake Fraley.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

bewbies out of curiosity could you post demon crow's defensive stats for the year?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

habeasdorkus posted:

Some :words: on Daemon Wrona's incredible season.

14.5 WAR would be the most by a non-pitcher, ever. Better than Babe Ruth's 14.1 WAR in 1923. It's second highest ever for a player since 1900, two WAR behind Walter Johnson's 16.5 in 1913 (and .2 better than Big Train's 1912). Pretty much the only people who are out of reach are the 1800's pitchers who pitched every or almost every game of the season, Demon Crow would need to reach 20.3 WAR to top Tim Keefe's 1883. Likewise, his 180 runs scored is tops for modern players, pipping Babe Ruth in 1921 by 3. He'd have needed another 19 to place first all time, because Sliding Billy Hamilton crossed the plate 198 times for the Phillies in 1894.

245 OPS+, though, is merely historically great. Heck, Barry Bonds has 3 (THREE!!!) seasons higher. So, Demon Crow's merely 6th on that leaderboard, behind Barry, Ruth, and Fred Dunlap's 1884.* Likewise, his .505 OBP is merely historically great. Heck, Mickey Mantle had a .512 in 1957. All told 19 players have had a season where they reached base 1/2 the time they got to the plate. Most of his other stats are pedestrian. His .493 wOBA sounds good, until you realize that it would have been a below average season for Babe Ruth. 150 BB is nice, and good for but Barry Bonds walked 232 times in 2004. Heck, Eddie Yost walked 151 times in 1956.** His 1.240 OPS is a hair better than Lou Gehrig's 1927... which is 14th all time.

What I'm saying is, this Wrona kid stinks. He's no Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds. He's not even a Ted Williams. Maaaybe he's a Rogers Hornsby... crossed with Willie Mays' defensive talents.

* Dunlap was a very good hitter, 141 OPS+ in the National League for the first 4 years of his career, but he spent 1884 in the Union Association. The UA was a NL competitor league with that folded after one year, and only through dint of historical precedent is considered a major league. Though now I wonder what Mike Trout would hit if he played a full season at AA ball.

** That year Eddie managed a 104 OPS+, or just above league average. He slashed .231/.412/.336. Eat your heart out Jake Fraley.

there's some gamey-ness around the bbs in general. ootp basically never intentionally walks players, even people as good as wrona.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ah, we've already hit "Demon Crow was never good".

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

a near 50/50 season? pedestrian. Chad Davis-like.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schnorkles posted:

bewbies out of curiosity could you post demon crow's defensive stats for the year?

Here's Wrona:

And for comparison's sake, here's Christian Pache, who has to be the best defensive outfielder and maybe best defensive player period of all time.

A ZR of 15+ is usually enough for a gold glove; 20+ is absolutely ludicrous. The current best CF in baseball (Washington's Jeremiah Cotton) just put up 18.0, and he's prohibitively the best OF defender in the game.

Aside from Cotton, a guy named Mel Padilla for the CWS and some guy name Ichiro are clearly ahead of the rest of the field in center; Wrona is basically a top 10 guy there but likely won't win any gold gloves like he did in RF. He's also...I think...already lost a tick in fielding range, which is typical.

Anyway, a good-not-great CF is still very valuable defensively even with a meh bat (see: our own Alex Flores) but man when you couple that with a Ruth/Williams/Bonds bat, lol.

note: he is very bad a bunting

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 10, 2021

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

A flexible OF who can play COF or Center and give you 15+ ZR is major league quality even with a meh bat. You combine that with Bonds/Williams and its lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Though, tbf, Bonds was also a very very good defensive outfielder and won like what, 12 GG's?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So Wrona is basically what happens if OOTP says "what if Jackie Bradley Jr, but Manny Ramirez's bat?"

Holy *poo poo*

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So Wrona is basically what happens if OOTP says "what if Jackie Bradley Jr, but Manny Ramirez's bat?"

Holy *poo poo*

Honestly, his bat is better than Manny's by a fair amount. The only clearly better hitters are Ruth, Williams, and Bonds. I think I would take Wrona right now over Jimmie Foxx.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i also want to point out that a player being named, literally, demon crow in reality and hitting like this would lead to some pretty excellent content by all parties.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2035 ALCS: A's vs Yankees

Game 7 Highlights

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the New York nine that day:
The score stood eight to seven in an extra-inning game,
And then Nawrocki's 3-2 swing turned up only air;
Fifty-thousand Bronxers hung their heads in deep despair.

A straggling few got up to go, they had seen enough. The rest
Clung to the hope which springs eternal in the human breast;
They thought, "If only Wrona could but get a whack at that—
We'd put up even money now, with Wrona at the bat."

But Deysher preceded Wrona, as did Barcia,
And the former was a pitcher, the latter a sure ground ball,
So upon that stricken multitude grim melancholy sat,
For there seemed but little chance of Wrona getting to the bat.

Deysher legged out an infield hit, to the wonderment of all,
And Barcia didn't double up, despite hitting his ground ball
And when the dust had lifted, to the pitcher's great dismay
There was Deysher riding second with one more out to play.

Then from fifty thousand throats there rose a lusty yell;
It rumbled through the Bronx and it shook the Kitchen of Hell,
It pounded on the Empire State and sounded down the flats,
For Wrona, mighty Wrona, was advancing to the bat.

There was ease in Wrona's manner as he stepped into his place;
There was pride in Wrona's bearing and a smile lit his face
And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
No stranger in the crowd could doubt 'twas Wrona at the bat.

A hundred thousand eyes were on him as he rubbed his hands with dirt;
Fifty thousand tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt;
Then while the writhing pitcher ground the ball into his hip,
Defiance flashed in Wrona's eye, a sneer curled Wrona's lip.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
And Wrona stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
He gripped his bat and got on plane and with his hips he led,
And missed a curveball in the dirt. "Strike one!" the umpire said.

From the benches, black with people, there went up a muffled roar,
Like the beating of the storm-waves on a stern and distant shore;
"Kill him! Kill the pitcher!" shouted someone on the stand;
And it's likely they'd have killed him had not Wrona raised his hand.

With a smile of Christian charity great Wrona's visage shone;
He stilled the rising tumult; he bade the game go on;
He signaled to the pitcher, and once more the dun sphere flew;
But Wrona chased a curve again, the umpire said, "Strike two!"

"Junk!" cried the maddened thousands, and echo answered "Junk!"
But one scornful look from Wrona and the audience shut up.
They saw his face grow stern and cold, they saw his muscles strain,
And they knew that Wrona wouldn't chase a curve again.

The sneer is gone from Wrona's lip, his teeth are clenched in hate,
He pounds with cruel violence his bat upon the plate;
And now the pitcher holds the ball, and now he lets it go,
And now the air is shattered by the force of Wrona's blow.

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Bronxville—mighty Wrona grounded out.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 11, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

:sickos:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
:getin:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

:getin:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

:sickos:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

breaking news: gently caress the yankees

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Schnorkles posted:

breaking news: gently caress the yankees
huge, if true

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2035 World Series: A's vs Cubs

Joe Kalafut heard someone say he was over the hill. Turns out, he was just saving himself for the playoffs.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Following our win in a thrilling game 6, something compels us to skip the celebration. Instead, we head to our office. Which still looks like this:

Dusting aside the cigarette ash and coal dust that seems to coat everything, we fire up our computer, and, staring into a badly faded CRT monitor, begin to reminisce about some of the best, most memorable, and most colorful players that played for us over the last 15 seasons.

The first name we google is Jarred Kelenic. He was the first big name we'd trade away, but he was far from the last.

Jarred Kelenic
4x MVP
1x Gold Glove
8x Silver Slugger
1x Playoff MVP
13x All-Star
Hall of Fame: 1st Ballot, 98.7%
Career Earnings: $459,721,000

Kelenic just didn't hit when he first came up, but neither did Bobby Witt Jr, so a change of scenery seemed in order for both. Our subsequent swap with the Royals forever tied these two superstars together. Kelenic was the league's best player for most of the 2020s, winning four well-deserved MVPs, hitting dingers, stealing bases, and relentlessly getting on base. He was also one of the league's most durable players early in his career, not missing a game due to injury until 2032. In the last season of his first megadeal, he jumped over to the A's and played a fantastic season of baseball for the people who once traded him away. He was a productive and popular player through his age 38 season, but father time caught him at 39, and his last year with the Twins was an unhappy one. After retiring, he returned to his hometown of Milwaukee, where he bought a dilapidated old brewery and set to making the best lager beer ever brewed. An intense rivalry developed between him and Brewers legend Aiden Harris, who bought an adjoining old brewery after his own retirement. These two new-age beer barons dominated the macro lager market through the second half of the 21st century, reviving Milwaukee as America's beer capital and setting new standards for excellence in bad American beer, but not once did they actually speak to one another in person.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 13, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Josh Gibson
3x MVP
6x Gold Glove
6x Silver Slugger
1x Playoff MVP
2x World Series Champion
7x All-Star
Hall of Fame: 5th Ballot, 85.9%
Career Earnings: $245,350,000

Josh Gibson enters baseball lore as one of the game's great "what-ifs" not once, but twice. The first time, because systemic racism and backwards thinking kept him out, the second time, because Nate Pearson got mad after giving up two home runs back-to-back. Our LEGENDS OF BASEBALL iteration of Gibson was drafted by an awful Athletics team in 2025 with the first overall pick; he then proceeded to wreck A, AA, and AAA over the next year-and-a-half...with a brief stopover in Oakland as a 19 year old for who knows why. He made the big club's roster at 22 and never looked back. Or didn't, at least, for almost a decade. His next three seasons were arguably the best ever by a catcher: 2 MVPs, 3 Gold Gloves, 3 Silver Sluggers...and then...the Nate Pearson incident. It could be said that Gibson never fully recovered from the massive head trauma he suffered, but...he did. In fact, his 2034 season with the LA Dodgers was the best of his career, and easily the best ever by a big league catcher. Father time is brutal to the guys behind the plate, however, and his numbers started to slip after that. He probably would have been solid into his 30s, but a catastrophic knee injury in 2037 brought the whole thing crashing down around him. He was released outright by the Dodgers less than a year after his rehab was complete, and he'd end his career OPSing .309 in rookie ball at age 33 -- one of the steepest-ever declines ever witnessed in an elite professional ballplayer. After retiring, Gibson set off on a new crusade: he got an engineering degree, then designed a completely new and much-improved batting helmet that was lighter, lower-profile, and virtually concussion-proof against even the hardest headhunting fastball. The new helmet design was universally adopted at all levels of baseball, and was known throughout the game by its given name: the Pearson.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 13, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Naming your works after your enemies so that everyone will remember them forevermore for their failures is a serious power move.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Felix "Double" Lopez
1x MVP
1x Rookie of the Year
5x Gold Glove
2x Silver Slugger
2x World Series Champion
9x All Star
Hall of Fame: 3rd Ballot, 85.4%
Career Earnings: $553,230,000

Felix "Double" Lopez always left you wanting more. You saw his lean, athletic frame, graceful, athletic movements, cannon arm and whippy bat, and you always thought he had what it takes to enter that inner circle of baseball greats. Somehow, 2600 hits, nearly 600 home runs, a bundle of awards and a couple of World Series rings....didn't seem like enough. Felix was our first international signing with the A's, back when a $5.9m investment in a teenager was a huge burden on a financially strapped Oakland franchise. Felix delivered on his promise, bringing four tools and a winning attitude to Oakland. He was a centerpiece of the rebuild, and a driving force behind Oakland's first World Series win under our command. He was then the centerpiece of one of our best trades: he went to Houston to make his millions, and back came star outfielder Jorge Sambrano and exciting young SS prospect Mario Tavares. The real prize from that deal, though, was a young relief pitcher tossed in as a kicker at the very end of the deal: Luis Sanchez turned into one of baseball's best relievers before swapping over to the rotation for his mid-career...and then heading back to the pen at age 33. He'd join Dennis Eckersley and John Smoltz as the only two pitchers to record a 20-win season and a 50-save season. Double Lopez, meanwhile, continued to slug the ball and gun down runners from deep right field, showing as much natural talent as any ballplayer the game had ever seen. Still, his laid-back attitude and effortless way of playing the game left fans and GMs alike thinking there was something better just beneath the surface -- perhaps this is why he played on 6 teams -- including 3 different tours with the Astros -- during his long career. After retirement, Double glided into the world of day trading, where his charmed-but-lazy life continued: he developed a proprietary flashtrading system that turned his half-billion in career earnings into many billions more. He now spends his time re-investing his fortune helping the poor and hungry so common in the Dominican; while his efforts are genuine, there's always a backdrop that he could be doing more.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pedro "Gigantor" Uribe
Career Earnings: $38,430,000

A throwback to not only a different decade -- but a different century -- Pedro Uribe's knuckleball wobbled its way through 11 wildly entertaining seasons of big league ball. Highly drafted after dominant performances in high school, Uribe never quite fully mastered the graceful art of the knuckler. When he was on, he could be heard gently speaking to the ball as though it were a beautiful woman, caressing its leather cover and smelling its seams. When he was off -- which was somewhat regularly -- he'd walk around the mound cursing and kicking dirt, asking incoherent rhetorical questions ("WHY DOES BASEBALL UP?") and constantly spitting. His control was his undoing: he could strike out big league hitters with ease and was incredibly difficult to hit, but too many times, ball four was in the dirt, or over the catcher's head. After a very rough 2038 season, Uribe abruptly retired and headed back to Puerto Rico, where his wife and eleven children waited for their eccentric husband and father. Pedro calmed down a bit in his old age, and eventually opened the Puerto Rico Knuckleball Academy, where he encourages young pitchers to learn the graceful art.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bewbies posted:

Pedro calmed down a bit in his old age, and eventually opened the Puerto Rico Knuckleball Academy, where he encourages young pitchers to learn the graceful art.

the hero we truly needed

more knuckleballers, more, more

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

does he have a belting system

can you be a first dan of knuckleballs

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

bewbies posted:

Kelenic just didn't hit when he first came up
OOTP knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just found this thread and caught up. I always enjoy sports game LPs. I follow Very Slightly Mad's NBA 2K LP, and one of my all-time favourites is a now-archived Football Manager LP of a team in a tiny town in north Wales.

If this is going to continue, I wanted to propose a new player-made legend. I am a very distant relative of the former MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer, and I've always liked soft-throwing, inning-eating, control pitchers such as him, Maddux, Buehrle etc, especially in this age of everyone throwing high 90s, 5-inning starters, and ridiculous bullpens. I was hoping to see a souped-up version of him in the game... leftie, mid-80s fastball, insane change, max control and movement, no velocity, Iron Man durability and max stamina. Someone who gets almost no strike outs but has a great K/BB ratio because he never walks anyone and is all about ground balls and big, looping, easily catchable pop flies.