Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Let's have Leiter third in the list after the two SPs, which means he'll almost certainly be up before the all star game.

Bobby 'Bats' Witt Jr
Julio 'J-Rod' Rodriguez
Ha-Seong 'HSK' Kim
Ke'Bryan 'Haymaker' Hayes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I should note that there's a decent chance one, two, or possibly all three of those pitching prospects might blow out their arms in the minors. One reason to let them come to the majors is that you might as well get MLB innings out of them before they do it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm a fan of the Ron Gardenhire School of Nicknames. Wittsy, Rodsy, Kimsy, Hayesy.

And yeah, irl I'm not a service fuckery kinda person, but we also don't have and will never have the budget to pay people what they're worth. Keep Leiter down til Super-2 Day.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
July 19th, 2022
57-34 (.626), 1st place, AL West

Our young hitters are getting the job done. The year's biggest surprise has been Taylor Trammell, who is giving us competent defense in left to go along with a pretty staggering .440 OBP. Pete was right about him, it turns out. Bobby Bats, HSK, and Kobe (Ke'Bryan Hayes actual middle name, lol) have all been more or less exactly as advertised. We lost J-Rod for a month to a major concussion, which is legit terrifying -- like in real life, concussions in OOTP can be disastrous. He's been great otherwise, though.

Our pitching leans heavily on our two star SPs and an elite bullpen. Kenny Giles has been baseball's best reliever, with de Geus and Munoz capping off our top 3. The bottom 3 of the rotation have been forgettable, so we may want to look at a deadline upgrade there. Michael Kopech worked his rear end off to come back from reconstructive surgery only to get injured again on his rehab assignment, this time a knee. He's out for the rest of the year.

With the 30th overall pick in the draft we took RHP Hunter Schmitt (0.5/4.0). He's hitting 93 mph as an 18 year old with 4 plus pitches, including a wipeout changeup. Like Leiter, he probably fell to us due to a stratospheric bonus demand ($7m) which we were easily able to pay.

Note: I'm going to start injecting interesting historical players into the draft and see where OOTP takes them. One rule: we can never trade for them. They can't all be legendary hall of famers as that will mess with the game engine, but I'm all for putting in anyone interesting from baseball history.

The first such player is Bo Jackson, the toolsiest baseball player to ever baseball. He runs a 4.1 40 y dash, can bench press your car, and can throw a baseball 110 mph. He was never a great baseball player -- more an incredible athlete who happened to play baseball -- but we'll see what the (checks notes) Texas Rangers (ugh) can get out of him.

Wacky Jack has been about average in AAA; was probably smart to leave him down and keep him there this season. Benny the Jet, meanwhile, has played his way into AAA ball, and has looked tremendous. He projects now as a slightly below average MLB bat, good OBP guy, with plus plus plus defense (that's 3 plusses: we're into Andrelton Simmons or possibly even Ozzie Smith territory) and 50+ SB potential. I thought his ETA was 2 years out, but he could be MLB-ready next year...meaning, we have a logjam on the left side of our infield. A good problem to have.

We had four all stars: Marco Gonzales, Tyler Mahle, Kenny Giles, and Taylor Trammell.

Jarred Kelenic may be the best player in baseball. Glad we got rid of that bum.

From where I sit, the only big hole we're looking at in our lineup is the DH. Nogowski has been better the last month, but prior to that, he was one of the worst full-time DHs in baseball history. Pete has downgraded him; he's looking increasingly like a flash-in-the-pan, ala Bob "The Hammer" Hamelin. We need to decide if we're going to try and upgrade the DH spot, try someone else there, or let him try and work through this half-season slump.

We also need to consider getting a veteran 3/4/5 arm. We have several tweener pitchers, but a proper inning-eater will be a nice upgrade for a playoff run. Alternatively, we still have a couple of bright young arms in AAA; we could bring one of those guys up and trade away one of Boyd/Sheffield/Flexen.

Heya kid...there are some interesting options out there for a DH. Tell me what you think...

Nelson Cruz (2.5/2.5) can still mash, and is available more or less for free. He's DH-only and kills lefties; he's really only a half-season solution. He's OPS-ing .830 right now though.

Marcell Ozuna (3.5/3.5) is far removed from his gold glove years, and the Braves are tired of his bad defense. He's an elite hitter though: 303/364/965 at the moment. He'll cost a couple of decent prospects, but is gettable. He does come with a beefy contract: 16/18/18/16 (TO) for the next 4 years.

Franmil Reyes (2.5/3.0) is actually in AAA right now (a year after an all-star appearance), but he could still OPS 850 in the bigs. He's free and in arbitration, but is currently paid $4.4m.

Jared Walsh (2.5/2.5) is a no-glove XBH machine still in pre-arb. He won't cost us too much -- probably a B prospect -- and is the lefty power bat we've been needing.

Josh Naylor (2.5/3.0) has played his way out of Cleveland's OF (which I assume is why Reyes is down) but still has a solid bat. You can expect a sky-high OBP and plenty of doubles, but probably no more than 20 HRs. He comes cheap both salary and player capital and is a lefty.

Jesse Winker (3.0/3.0) is having a great year. He's an OBP monster with decent power; he's OPSing almost 900 right now. As a result, he'll cost an A prospect, and is looking at $14m+ in arbitration next season.

We also have a kid named Luken Baker in the organization from the Hayes trade; he's pushing 300 lbs but can hit baseballs. He may be worth a look in our DH spot.

As for SPs, as far as a meaningful upgrade goes, we're looking at either Jose Berrios or Lance Lynn. Berrios is better, but is on a one year contract and will cost more in trade capital. Lynn has a TO for next year.

VOTE

DH. Do we:
1) stand pat with The Nog
2) make a trade (if this, say who)
3) Call up Baker

SP. Do we:
1) Stand pat with our current staff.
2) Make a trade (if this, say who)
3) Call up a prospect and demote someone

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 16, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Trading for Reyes or Naylor seems like the best fit for our "one team's trash" philosophy that we started with

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
DH: 2, trade for Reyes or Naylor.
SP: 1, stand pat.

bewbies posted:

Note: I'm going to start injecting interesting historical players into the draft and see where OOTP takes them. One rule: we can never trade for them. They can't all be legendary hall of famers as that will mess with the game engine, but I'm all for putting in anyone interesting from baseball history.

Let's get Quisenberry on the list for this.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sorry if you already mentioned this -- did the NL get the DH in this world?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Do any of the relievers have below average stamina (40+) and at least a third pitch that isn't total garbage? If so maybe slide them into the 5th slot and see what they can do for 4-5 innings. This also applies to any journeymen AAAA pitchers we have sitting around in the minors. I don't want to put one of our future stars in there but sometimes you can get a great half a season out of someone before they return to the mean.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Call up big boy baker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Get an innings eater
Trade for Reyes or give big bakes a shot

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Sorry if you already mentioned this -- did the NL get the DH in this world?

It doesn't now, but "league evolution" is on, and universal DH is a very common event. I've also seen "abolish DH" before but it is very rare.

Voodoofly posted:

Do any of the relievers have below average stamina (40+) and at least a third pitch that isn't total garbage? If so maybe slide them into the 5th slot and see what they can do for 4-5 innings. This also applies to any journeymen AAAA pitchers we have sitting around in the minors. I don't want to put one of our future stars in there but sometimes you can get a great half a season out of someone before they return to the mean.

We actually have two young starters working out of the pen, one as a 6th SP, the other as an opener. I suspect Ned will give them a shot at some point if Boyd/Flexen keep struggling, but then, Ned.

I forgot to mention: we signed a primo international youngster this year with some of our leftover funds. Leo Maldonado is only 16, but he projects as a plus LH COF/1B bat with a solid glove/arm combo. He cost a bundle and won't be here for probably 5-6 years, but we had a bit of cash to burn so, why not.

We also got Kyle Lewis extended to the tune of 5/47.5, with a TO in the last year. That takes us through his arbitration years and two seasons after, his age 32 season. He reminds me of Lorenzo Cain so I have kind of a soft spot for him, plus he inexplicably ripped 20 dingers the first half of the season.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: can you post the super goofy little video recaps? those are fun

Got this figured out! I will post these from now on in lieu of game logs!

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 17, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tuesday, October 3, 2022
102-60, .630. 1st Place, AL West

League News

Jarred Kelenic puts up one of the best non-Trout seasons in recent memory. Wonder how the Royals landed that guy.

Dodgers rip off a 108 win season and head to the playoffs on a 9-1 hot streak.

The Royals eek out a playoff spot for the first time in a while.

Lucas Giolito continues his march to the hall of fame.

Team News

We trade a couple of middling bullpen prospect arms for Josh Naylor, who immediately catches fire and runs a hot bat through most of the summer.

We lose Taylor Trammell for a month, and he cools down in August, but he comes back just before the playoffs and finishes the season hot.

Bobby Bats rips off a great second half and finishes with the team lead in WAR.

Logan Gilbert emerges as our #4 starter and puts up a great late season run.

We lead the league in runs against, OBP, bullpen ERA, and defense. A good combo.

We'll play either the Royals or Angels in the ALDS. Both are very, very dangerous teams.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ALDS: Mariners vs Royals

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

note: this is the first time I've tried video highlights -- if anyone has any suggestions for improvement please let me know

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 17, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Your attempts at shaming us into regretting the Kelenic trade are failing. :smug:

Also haha gently caress off Royals.

I don't dislike the video highlights, but there's something I enjoy about the quick summary format of the wrap/box score. Whatever works though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The videos are somewhat interesting, I guess, but I'd rather have a stats sheet, even though I struggle to read them.

If you trade the MVP (not official yet but..... uh... that's a lot of league-leading stats....) but beat him in the playoffs, you still won the trade, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the upgrade to our infield still outweighs it imo

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

the upgrade to our infield still outweighs it imo

I agree actually, I just enjoy the teasing. Bats looks like he's gonna be a legit superstar at a really valuable position. that said, if Benny the jet looks Major League ready next year we are going to have to make some tough decisions about who to keep and who to play where.

as for the video highlights, if folks prefer the sheets I'm happy to post those instead but doing them both would take for-drat- ever. as a compromise, I'll post highlights of the best game from each series, and sheets from the rest? how does that sound?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Pavin Smith ended the season with a very good OBP, but we gotta be able to upgrade a 1B that's slugging under .400 at Coors Field.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol hundred win season 2nd ever in franchise history what even.

bewbies posted:

I agree actually, I just enjoy the teasing. Bats looks like he's gonna be a legit superstar at a really valuable position. that said, if Benny the jet looks Major League ready next year we are going to have to make some tough decisions about who to keep and who to play where.

as for the video highlights, if folks prefer the sheets I'm happy to post those instead but doing them both would take for-drat- ever. as a compromise, I'll post highlights of the best game from each series, and sheets from the rest? how does that sound?

Can Benny do an Arod and move to 3rd or 2nd or anywhere?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I mean, if Benny is on the Ozzie Smith-Andrelton spectrum defensively we should probably move Bobby Bats right? Moving him over to second and trading HSK makes the most sense to me

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bats at third, Benny at SS, and HSK at 2nd. Assuming the stats/arms line up that way. Then wait til the three actually get too expensive, and cut whomever costs the most (not The Jet, as he's homegrown.) Were built to be cheap as poo poo for a while here.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thordain posted:

I mean, if Benny is on the Ozzie Smith-Andrelton spectrum defensively we should probably move Bobby Bats right? Moving him over to second and trading HSK makes the most sense to me

Yeah this is what feels like the play to me as well

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2022 ALCS: Mariners v White Sox

Box scores and game logs.

Game 5 Highlights.

TIM ANDERSON

Game 5 would have ended on a routine grounder to second except for PAVIN SMITH, YOU HAD ONE JOB PAVIN

We were outmatched in the ALCS, but still, to lose again in the ALCS to a walk off homer seems like a bit deja vu...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pete / bewbies poo poo don't work in the playoffs

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
We love to lose dramatically

I think the other option is move Hayes to first and put Bobby Bats back at his natural position at third. Pavin Smith must be punished for his failures.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

isn't Hayes an elite defensive 3B I don't think we need to move him away from it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2022-2023

League News

White Sox stroll to a Series win over the Dodgers.

Jarred Kelenic wins AL MVP, FTJ wins NL.

Giolito wins another CY; Mahle/Gonzales finish 2/3. Mackenzie Gore wins NL CY.

We don't win any Gold Gloves despite our league-best defense.

Jacob DeGrom and Aaron Judge hit the open market.

Team News

Ned Yost gives a long, detailed, and entirely accurate account of the Apollo 8 mission, then retires.

Shortly after, Buster Posey looks around the room and appears to decide on the spot to retire also.

We pick up options on Kenny Giles and Chris Flexen.

Nothing of note in arbitration.

Leiter and Benny top the prospects list.

Yearly Priorities

First, we need to hire a new manager. Normally I'd wait until after year 3 to pose the question of taking our tactical approach in a new direction, but as we're hiring a new guy, it seems prudent to take a look at the way we're playing the game. Based on who we decide to hire, we'll change (or keep!) our tactics.

Mangerial Candidates

Bruce Bochy is one of the most experienced baseball men of all time. He's probably looking for a 2-3 year project, so like Ned, he's most likely a short term hire. He uses a very conventional approach and is very well regarded for his development of young players and roster management. He does tend to alienate pitchers, however, so he won't be a perfect fit for the clubhouse.

Buck Showalter is also still out there. He's pretty much everything Bochy is to include a short-term hire, but he's a smallball guru, and pitchers like him more.

Lou Marson is the current hotshot AAA manager, but has no ML experience. He's 36 years old and a sabermetrics disciple, well regarded for both developing players and getting the most out of veterans. He'll fit in very well with our team chemistry, but is totally unproven at this level and may struggle with the man management side of things.

Jake Lowery is only 32, but has developed a reputation for building elite smallball teams in the lower minor leagues. He's also shown an incredible aptitude for developing young players and managing the tactics of the game. He's a straightforward clubhouse guy and won't alienate anyone, but also won't breed much loyalty from his players.

Mike Scioscia managed the Angels for a generation, was fired, and spent last year up in New Hampshire managing an indy league team. He's a tactics guy obsessed with matchups and shifts and whatnot, well regarded for developing players, and he'll fit in great with our roster.

Skip Schumaker is the Padres bench coach. He's...unorthdox. I'm honestly not entirely sure what that means. He's done a great job with player development though, and will fit in well with our staff and clubhouse.

Roster moves

There are rumblings of dissatisfaction with Pavin Smith; we could look at an upgrade there. Smith still has some growing to do; probably tops out as a 290/400/450 kind of guy in a neutral park, and despite his playoff gaffe is very good defensively, whatever value a good defensive 1B might have. He's unlikely to ever top 20 dingers, but he'll hit 40-50 doubles and will get on base a lot.

There aren't really many elite 1Bs in baseball anymore: talented players tend to be shuffled to more important positions as they're developing, so the age of a Pujols/Bagwell/Thomas kind of hitter may be gone. There are some decent options out there though; it may make sense to take a guy behind the curve at another position and transition him to 1B...most guys would be able to pull it off, especially infielders.

As far as options go, we could:

- Go big on a FA. The 1B market is pretty dire; Jose Abreu is on the decline, JT or Wilmer Flores aren't really upgrades, but we could take a below-average SS like Bogaerts or Trea Turner and convert them. They'll cost upwards of $20m a year in salary but would be quality players for several years.

-Go cheap. Bring in several AAAA guys and see if one can beat out Smith. Luken Baker is in the system already and is an outside shot; rule 5 and garbage trades and free agency should net a few more (think guys like Miguel Sano, CJ Cron, or Jesus Aguilar...all 2.5 star, TTO, no-glove kinds of guys).

- Trade for a blue chipper. There aren't any eye popping youngsters out there, but there are some guys with some serious upside. We're hunting either for 1B conversions or natural 1Bs, and trying not to overpay for defense.

Here's some options for you, kid. All of these guys cost about the same; along the lines of an A prospect or a couple of ML-ready talented youngsters.

Alec Bohm isn't cutting the mustard in the majors at 3B, but his bat looks great and he's more than adequate at 1B. He's signed to an escalating contract through 2027 and could be a 300/380/550 kind of guy for us.

Triston Casas is a true 70 power tool guy, but will strike out plenty and hasn't yet learned to take a regular walk. If he hits his potential, we could be looking at 40+ dingers though, and he's still pre-arb.

Alex Kiriloff is actually a passable COF, but a move to 1B would suit him long-term. He's pre-arb and slashed 300/346/501 last year as a 24 year old rookie. He's more of a 30 homer guy, though he'll hit 40+ doubles and will be a top OBP guy.

- Stand pat with Pavin. We also have Josh Naylor in the mix, who is looking like a fantastic hitter and could easily play 1B, leaving us to (again) fill the DH hole.

We also have to consider what to do with Benny the Jet. Right now, we have 3 elite young infielders. Benny is probably ML-ready: expect something along the lines of 250/300/350 next season, with an all-world glove and a shitload of steals (he had 89 last year in 118 games). So, his effective slugging percentage is probably 65-70 points higher than that, just thanks to his nearly always swiping second. He can play anywhere but catcher, but the quality of his defensive tools makes playing him anywhere but SS a serious loss of value.

Bobby Witt Jr has matured into a quality defensive shortstop, and would be an elite 3B or very good 2B. Playing him at 2B would waste his amazing throwing arm a bit, but he'd still be a huge plus there.

HSK is one of the league's better 2Bs, but he's looking at an opt-out after next season and a BIG pay raise. He's also the weakest hitter of the 3.

Ke'Bryan Hayes has probably topped out at a plus 3B glove and ~800 OPS guy, which is nothing to sneeze at. We also have him locked down to a solid contract through his prime years. He wouldn't be a good option at SS or 2B due to his weakness turning the double play, and his great glove/arm combo would be largely wasted at 1B.

If we want to upgrade 1B to one of the blue chippers, one of those guys along with someone like Kopech (who the league is VERY interested in, despite his injury history and unpleasant personality) will form the basis for our trade package.

We could also always leave Benny down another season.

Finally, there's a VERY interesting RP on the market: Danny Arteaga put up some of the best seasons ever in the Mexican league and decided to cross the border this season. He's kind of a redux of Mariano Rivera: he only really throws one pitch -- a cutter -- but it will likely be baseball's single best pitch. He also throws a curve sometimes, but doesn't usually need to. His cutter hits 98 and has more movement than some sliders; he can hit his spots and throw it anywhere in the zone. He'll probably cost around $6-7m a year. Is he worth looking at, even with our great bullpen depth?

We could also...pursue Jacob DeGrom. He had a down year last year and fought some injuries, but Pete thinks he's still one of the best pitchers in the majors and is over his health issues. We'd likely be looking at something in the $27m a year range for 4-5 years, which will seriously impact our financial flexibility as our youngsters age out of pre-arbitration...but can you even imagine a healthy DeGrom in our ballpark, with our defense?

VOTE

Manager:
1. Bruce Bochy
2. Buck Showalter
3. Lou Marson
4. Jake Lowery
5. Mike Scioscia
6. Skip Schumaker

1B:
1. Go big in FA
2. Go cheap
3. Blue-chipper
4. Stand pat

Infielders:
1. Trade Bobby Bats
2. Trade HSK
3. Trade Kobe Hayes
4. Leave the Jet in the minors

Pursue Danny Arteaga?
Pursue Jacob Degrom?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 18, 2021

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Manager:
3. Lou Marson

1B:
3. Blue-chipper

Infielders:
2. Trade HSK

Pursue Danny Arteaga

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Manager:
one of the young guys

1B:
Trade for Kiriloff using HSK

Pursue Lu Bu Artega

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Showalter or Marson

Stand pat see if Smith figures it out

Keep Benny down til the first injury of the three and when the recovery comes trade HSK for Kiriloff

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Manager:
1. Bruce Bochy
2. Buck Showalter
3. Lou Marson
4. Jake Lowery
5. Mike Scioscia
6. Skip Schumaker

1B:

1. Go big in FA
2. Go cheap
3. Blue-chipper

4. Stand pat

Infielders:

1. Trade Bobby Bats
2. Trade HSK

3. Trade Kobe Hayes
4. Leave the Jet in the minors

Pursue Danny Arteaga?
Pursue Jacob Degrom?

It wasn't mentioned in priority of which blue-chipper to chase, but I agree with the consensus on Kiriloff

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mike Scioscia

Go cheap

trade hsk

Jacob DeGrom

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

algebra testes posted:

Mike Scioscia

Go cheap

trade hsk

Jacob DeGrom

This!

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

Manager:
one of the young guys

1B:
Trade for Kiriloff using HSK

Pursue Lu Bu Artega

This all sounds good to me

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training 2023

We trade HSK, OF Jake Fraley, and LHP Maddux Bruns (0.5/2.0) and $7m cash to the Twins for 1B/OF Alex Kirilloff. We had to kick in the cash as the Twins were dirt-rear end poor; it just pays HSK's salary this season. Kirilloff is locked in as our 1B and will play lots there to build experience; he should be at least average defensively if not good by the end of ST.

We trade Pavin Smith and RHP Rawley Hector (0.5/2.0) to the Rays for OF Josh Lowe (2.5/3.0) and 2B Tyler Frank (2.0/2.5). Lowe is a very interesting prospect. He projects a 60 power tool plus 70 speed/stealing and a plus OF glove at all 3 positions; at worst, he's a decent 4th OF. At best, he could be a 30/30 guy with a great defense. Frank has a solid glove all over the infield and isn't a total offensive black hole.

The Diamondbacks come calling for Michael Kopech for some baffling reason. They offer Zac Gallen (3.5/4.0), one of the better SPs in baseball. He throws four plus pitches including an absolute wipeout changeup and still has two seasons of arbitration left. I think the D-backs are cutting cost or something? Anyway, he'll likely be one we want to extend assuming he takes his killer stuff to T-mobile. (seriously, no idea why this trade was offered)

The clubhouse rejoices with Kopech gone, lol. I have no idea why he was so unpopular.

We sign RHP Danny Arteaga to a 5/25 deal, with a TO in the last season.

The Red Sox gave the tattered remains of Byron Buxton 6/146. Lol.

We make a competitive bid on Jacob Degrom, but the Giants come in at the 11th hour with a huge bid that torpedoes us completely.

We trade a nothing prospect to the Marlins for C Brian Navarreto, who fits in well -- he's a glove and framing wizard who can basically only hit lefties, so he'll likely step in for Ruiz when we have lefty starters.

We have a bit of an overload of middling starters: we send off Chris Flexen for RHP Luis Cessa who clears waivers and will serve as a taxi squad bullpen arm while saving us about $3m.

We get through ST with mercifully few injuries; only Nick Margevicius goes down long-term, but he for the entire season.

Kirilloff slides very nicely into 1B, Bats into 2B. Benny struggles a bit in ST but he's 100% ready for the bigs, or so says Pete.

Opening Day Lineup
1. Benny Rodriguez, SS
2. Taylor Trammell, LF
3. Alex Kirilloff, 1B
4. Julio Rodriguez, RF
5. Josh Naylor, DH
6. Bobby Witt Jr, 2B
7. Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B
8. Keibert Ruiz, C
9. Kyle Lewis, CF

Brian Navarreto, C
Tyler Frank, IF
Josh Lowe, OF

1. Tyler Mahle
2. Jack Leiter (100 pitch limit)
3. Zac Gallen
4. Logan Gilbert
5. Justus Sheffield

Danny Arteaga (CL)
Kenny Giles
Brett De Geus
Will Vest
Wyatt Mills
Corey Knebel
Andres Munoz
Marco Gonzales (SP)
Emerson Hancock (SP)

We're predicted 105 wins, tops in the AL (the White Sox are only predicted 83? Wtf?)

Our owner expects us to make the playoffs.

As far as concerns go, the roster looks solid right now, though we don't have any top shelf lefty relievers. Marco Gonzales struggled this spring and lost some velo; he has a fairly expensive raise coming up. We could potentially dangle him to land a good LHP for the bullpen. Or, just let him be our main lefty reliever.

Benny is going to get his shot; if he can't cut it, we have both Dylan Moore and Tyler Frank (who had a GREAT spring training) ready to step in at 2B and Bobby Bats can slide back to short no problem.

Jack Leiter is still on a pitch count, as he should be, so he likely won't get past 200 IP this year.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 19, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It looks like Buxton had 700 PAs last year why are his remains tattered

also who did you hire as the new manager

also also when I went looking for buxton on the leaderboards (because I remembered seeing him on the midseason ones) to check if he got hurt again I noticed that Kirilloff was sixth in XBH last year and 2nd in doubles across all of baseball :getin:

And this is a side note but lmao if he doesn't actually have 1B experience

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 19, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I suppose it is of interest who is running our ball club!

Welcome Lou Marson! He seems very popular with the players and has otherwise not hosed anything up yet.

Kirilloff had zero 1B experience, but he has a solid IF arm and a decent enough glove, which got him to somewhere between adequate and solid at 1B defensively after a spring training of playing 1B full-time. He will likely never turn a double play, however. I guess outfielders just don't understand the nuances of such complex baseball things.

Sure enough, Buxton has been at/near 700 PAs the last two years! Normally he's completely cooked by age 30 but so far in this game he's stayed fairly healthy. He still seems offended by the idea of walks though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I guess I shouldn't be shocked at OOTP not knowing anything about twins players but Kirilloff has been learning 1B for like three years IRL which is one of the reasons I suggested him

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Isn't Kopech sort of a weiner IRL? Didn't he carry that "young stud top pick" ego til his elbow blew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

rickiep00h posted:

Isn't Kopech sort of a weiner IRL? Didn't he carry that "young stud top pick" ego til his elbow blew?

Maybe that brought him back down because afaik he's well-liked within the White Sox organization now