Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just found this thread and caught up. I always enjoy sports game LPs. I follow Very Slightly Mad's NBA 2K LP, and one of my all-time favourites is a now-archived Football Manager LP of a team in a tiny town in north Wales.

If this is going to continue, I wanted to propose a new player-made legend. I am a very distant relative of the former MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer, and I've always liked soft-throwing, inning-eating, control pitchers such as him, Maddux, Buehrle etc, especially in this age of everyone throwing high 90s, 5-inning starters, and ridiculous bullpens. I was hoping to see a souped-up version of him in the game... leftie, mid-80s fastball, insane change, max control and movement, no velocity, Iron Man durability and max stamina. Someone who gets almost no strike outs but has a great K/BB ratio because he never walks anyone and is all about ground balls and big, looping, easily catchable pop flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Trust me to arrive just as the thread ends.

I hate to criticise the OP, but he did also set the injury frequency to High. I presume that that affects every aspect of the simulation. I realise that it's there for the challenge, but it's rather regrettable when a RL athlete has his career ruined by injury and it's presumably even more frequent here.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

bewbies posted:

I think he was...which makes it all the more tragic.

it's having the injury setting on high is definitely the most realistic setting, but it does suck when fantastic players get run down by age 30. as in this case happened with both Josh Gibson and wrona. that said, hard charging base stealing center fielders just tend to have a short shelf life in this sport.

that being said the variability works pretty well and there are definite outliers for durability as well, as we shall see.

I can't remember the name of the series, but there is at least one sport game where one can turn down/off major injuries but keep minor & moderate ones. I take it that OoTP is just High/Medium/Low/Off?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've always wanted to see a global league with actual financial parity. Have teams in London, Istanbul, Cairo, Rio, Bordeaux etc. Since this game doesn't model travel time and fatigue, so far as I know, it's doable at least in theory.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I know that this is dead, but I have a question regardless. What was up with renaming the Miami Marlins to the Red Wings? I understand who the Cleveland Spiders were, but I don't get this. I know that there is an NHL team in Detroit called the Red Wings, but I don't see a link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Oh, it was done organically, so to speak, by the game. I thought that it was player-initiated.

Thanks for letting me know.