Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm going to go:
1.) Rockies cause some one needs to take up the challenge of fielding a competent team in the mountains
2.) Orioles cause I love that cartoon bird.

As for the signing bonus... Niles is tempting cause knuckleballs are cool af. But I've played enough OOTP games that went south due to clubhouse problems so I'm going Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez for the clubhouse influence.

Traxis posted:

Pedro Cerrano, I want to see how many dingers he can smash playing at Coors field

Oh hell... that's a good point. Can I provisionally vote Cerano if and only if we get the Rockies job and Benny otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Player acquisition
1. Draft with one notable exception: catchers. Specifically I would like to trade for Austin Hedges or Roberto Perez. Or if they are too expensive Taylor Davis. Or, if by some chance you included the Mexican League or Independent Leagues, what I really want is for you to purchase the contract of Steve Baron from the Vallejo Admirals or Jose Heberto Felix from the Aguascalientes Rieleros edit: it just occurred to me that Sylteve and Jose probably don't exist even if you included those leagues. I imagine OOTP probably creates players for those leagues when the game is created. I dunno. Point is, get some cheap catchers with high framing skills I just realized Hedges and Perez will be free agents at the end of the year. So maybe not them for a trade. But still. Framing catchers!

Roster Strategy
Tank this year, go for it in year 2.

Team Strategy
2. Sabermetric

General Priorities
1. Hitting

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
2. Contact
5. Speed

Pitcher priorities:
3. Movement

1. Starters

Coaching Staff
2. Fire manager, hitting, pitching coach

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 9, 2021

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

bewbies posted:

Catcher Upgrades

Well, we signed both Steve Baron (.5/.5) and Jose Heberto Felix (1/1) per your suggestion. They're both outstanding defensive catchers but are black holes with the bat. Murphy was solid in 2019, but we could use an upgrade here.

:hellyeah: This is like Christmas. Hell yeah. This is the decision that is going to turn this franchise around baybee. For real though, if these guys never make the majors and we just stash one in AA and one in AAA, they are going to pay for themselves 10 fold just by helping to develop our pitching prospects.

Also it is good fun that one of first moves is signing some non-prospect catchers. We are crushing it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

VOTE

note: when making your decision, bear in mind the cost of each player. They're all cheap salary-wise, but they'll cost player capital for us to acquire, so we can't afford all of the top options at once. A rough cost estimate is included.

Manager:
1. Ned Yost I survived Yostball once, I can do it again *ahem* I mean, Ned Yost is a proven winner.

Hitting Coach:
1. Joey Demonte

Pitching Coach:
2. Bruce Billings

Outfield: Keep/Trade/Demote
This is tough for me. If we are pushing for the playoffs this year, I think Hanigar is the better bet than Trammell. Then again, I think Trammell fits much more with our smallball strat. Eesh...
1. Taylor Trammell Keep
2. Kyle Lewis Keep
3. Mitch Haniger Trade
4. Jarred Kelenic Keep
5. Julio Rodriguez Keep

Pitching upgrades (pick 1-3):
4. De Geus
5. Robertson

Infield upgrades (pick 0-1):
1. Ha-Seong Kim

Catcher Upgrades (pick 0-1):
2. Austin Hedges, I already said go get him and I am going to stay on my catcher bullshit.

Keep/Extend/Trade
1. Kyle Seager Keep
2. Jim Paxton Keep This one is tough too. If it were my game I would trade him, but I would also tank. Since we are going for it I think we have to keep him.

DH:
John Nogowski

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 9, 2021

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

Does having a good defensive catcher help out the pitchers in the minors? I always assumed it might but never really dug deep enough to figure it out.

I have always just assumed too... According to the manual, playing poorly in the minors can hurt a prospects development. So I always assumed the reverse was either true, or at least protected pitchers from developing poorly. So yeah. Maybe I am just being superstitious with the player development thing. But I am telling you, Jose Heberto Felix is gonna be a game changer, our pitchers will be sending him gifts for years after they make it to the majors.