Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Awesome to see this, I did a long run with the Mariners in last year's game so I'm excited to see how they do here.

Player acquisition
2. Trash Heap Players - So many players that we can pick up at bargain bin prices which saves room in the budget for pitchers and stars like Kelenic

Roster Strategy
3. Push this year. - The AL West is softer than it's been historically, we could probably ride out close to .500 as is.

Team Strategy
2. Smallball - It's time to bring it back. High speed and contact teams can still work and are more fun.

General Priorities
2. Pitching - Always more pitchers

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
2. Contact - High contact players are so good in this game if they have even decent power.
3. Eye - Getting on base is also good.

Pitcher priorities:
3. Control - A pitcher with even decent stuff can be great with good control.
1. Starters - Starters are what make the world go round, and they're the only part of this team as is I like.

Coaching Staff
2. Honestly I think Servais is fine, but if the baby must be thrown out with the bath water he can go.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Manager: 1. Ned Yost
I like Yost, he ran some fairly smallball teams in KC, and we don't really care about keeping a manager long term. Yost is a great pick here..

Hitting Coach: 1. Joey Demonte
Contact all the way!

Pitching Coach: 1.Darren Balsley
I don't love either of these guys but one has Ball in the name.

Outfield:
1. Taylor Trammell - KEEP
2. Kyle Lewis - KEEP
3. Mitch Haniger - TRADE
4. Jarred Kelenic - KEEP
5. Julio Rodriguez - DEMOTE

I don't know who's playing DH this year, if they aren't any good then I say bring Rodriguez up and let him start there. Otherwise let's stash him for now and see if he grows, then reexamine what he goes for.

Pitching upgrades: Kopech

I always end up with a bullpen full of guys who can pitch 120 innings, that kind of flexibility is so valuable here. One bad character guy is not going to have that much of an impact.

On the subject of character, how is our locker room morale/leadership looking?

Infield upgrades: Ha-Seong Kim

The Padres are so maxed out I bet we can get him for a decent price, maybe even get San Diego to still pay some of his contract.

Catcher Upgrades: None

I don't love any of these guys. Let's hold on with the dudes we have.

Keep/Extend/Trade:
1. Kyle Seager - KEEP
2. Jim Paxton - KEEP

I kind of want to trade Paxton but that hurts our chances at .500 this year if he can even put together 100 innings. Seager is a solid vet and a career Mariner, and he's probably our best infielder as is. Keep him and see.

cheap 1B/DH options: Pavin Smith
Reyes sounds more appealing but a guy who can split between 1B and DH works for us and Smith being cheap works out well.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 9, 2021

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Yeah, I'd vote for taking Mahle. Longer control and potentially more innings.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

rickiep00h posted:

I think

Trade for Voit because out bats are awful. We might sneak into a wild card. And I was under the impression we were gonna try for a run this year.

Extend Knebel to a shorter contract.

Make both roster moves.

We're standing pretty decent from a goals standpoint. But yeah. That pitching core sets us up great for next year.

I agree with all of this.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Goddamn hero ball from Gonzalez. I'd be surprised if we got the pennant but man that's a great start.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Man, the grand Shortstop market is pretty weak if it's just Baez and Lindor.

Trade for Hayes because that guy rules and we are under a moral obligation to rescue good players from the Pirates.

No more arbitration cuts Actually yes, also we can cut the two relievers but shop Moore around or see if he can be a makeweight. Murphy costs a lot but I'm always hesitant to get rid of decent catchers.

I'd also say put in a low offer on Baez and see how his market develops.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 14, 2021

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Also part of the appeal of our outfield as is is the fact that everyone is under our control for a long time. Lewis is hitting arbitration next year I think but we have a ton of cheap controllable years left for Kelenic, Trammel, and Rodriquez. We could replace them with sure things but even doing that at one position would multiply costs out there. Being in a DH league we can even find ABs for guys who don't start.

Better to have a bunch of players with decent odds of getting good spend some time figuring things out while we spend money on other areas.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Take trade package 2 for BWJ, that's not so much more compared to Hayes and the potential is so high here.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Keep Leiter in the minors for now. I'm generally opposed to contract fuckery but I don't see a need to immediately move him up with our pitching depth. If one of the latter starters is doing poorly to start the year maybe we move him up.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Let's have Leiter third in the list after the two SPs, which means he'll almost certainly be up before the all star game.

Bobby 'Bats' Witt Jr
Julio 'J-Rod' Rodriguez
Ha-Seong 'HSK' Kim
Ke'Bryan 'Haymaker' Hayes

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
DH: 2, trade for Reyes or Naylor.
SP: 1, stand pat.

bewbies posted:

Note: I'm going to start injecting interesting historical players into the draft and see where OOTP takes them. One rule: we can never trade for them. They can't all be legendary hall of famers as that will mess with the game engine, but I'm all for putting in anyone interesting from baseball history.

Let's get Quisenberry on the list for this.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I mean, if Benny is on the Ozzie Smith-Andrelton spectrum defensively we should probably move Bobby Bats right? Moving him over to second and trading HSK makes the most sense to me

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
We love to lose dramatically

I think the other option is move Hayes to first and put Bobby Bats back at his natural position at third. Pavin Smith must be punished for his failures.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

Manager:
one of the young guys

1B:
Trade for Kiriloff using HSK

Pursue Lu Bu Artega

This all sounds good to me

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Benny's stealing skills are absurd, right now he's got a 93% success rate. Even in his best years Ricky Henderson never got that high.

oldskool posted:

Kenny Giles, do we:
3) trade him (he'd bring back either a A- prospect or a younger but not as good RP)

Coaching staff:
1) Extend both

LOOGY:
1) Trade for Darwinzon Hernandez

Marco Gonzales:
1) Trade him now to avoid his $12m next season

Any chance we can combine three votes and move Giles/Gonzales in the move for Hernandez?

I agree with all of this

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Benny was great but the pitching staff just spent the whole year flexing on everyone. Allowing less than 500 runs all season puts us in Year of the Pitcher territory.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
OOTP is always very shy about giving the MVP award to Shortstops, it's weird. Also the guru event is one of my favorites since it almost always leads to guys just getting worse.

Do the deal, Bregman has the experience and garbage can tricks we need to make progress in the playoffs.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
2B/3B: 1. Let King Koopa play

Shop Trammel, Sheffield, and Hernandez

Do not make the trade

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Let Josh Gibson, the true home run king, annihilate modern baseballs.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Thordain posted:

we are under a moral obligation to rescue good players from the Pirates.

:colbert: I stand by what I said

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The goddamn Yankees

I suspect Benny may struggle to win an MVP in his career with his OPS projection. Near as I can tell the weighting of importance for MVP is roughly:
Best OPS - highest WAR - most home runs ----massive gap---- dominant pitcher.

The only pitcher I've ever seen win an MVP award did it when no position player came within 5 WAR of him.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Trammell and Ruiz for Susac and Jimenez
Kiriloff for Moeller

Get rid of Mahle

We have reached heaven and now we must be Sinners

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I see Preciado is already at full power, but goddamn I love Wacky Jack.

Castro makes me think we should get more failed baseball prospects who went on to other things like Kurt Russell

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

How is this man not your go to for that example

I was trying to remember which wrestler it was and gave up.

Put both of em in

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
gently caress it, let's do the A's

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
VOTE

Manager:
2. Maddon
Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco - Beefy Boys

Pitching Coach:
1. Shuttlesworth

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects

Roster Strategy
2. Tank hard this year.
Team Strategy
1. Sabermetrics - gently caress it, moneyball these A's

General Priorities
1. Hitting - Big hits everywhere

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
1. Power
2. Eye

Pitcher priorities:
2. Velocity
1. Starters

Keep Gibson, let us have these small mercies.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Yeah, do the deal.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Let's not overthink this, Taylor

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Josh Lowe:
2) Execute and trade

Jesus Galiz:
1) Trade or decline arb

Nate Pearson QO:
2) Decline

Free agents. Pursue:
Either of the pitchers but don't go insane breaking the bank, if that fails
5) Sign a lesser free agent SP

This. The answer is always more pitching.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I am feeling good about getting a Lou Gehrig who can also pitch for 12 million a year

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

Oh, and I almost forgot: this year's Legend of Baseball entry is none other than Ichiro Suzuki, the True Hit King. Let's see what he can do moving to the US at 18 instead of 27.

Apparently his nickname now is "Bitter Melon" which we're running with.

Hell yeah.

The way OOTP recycles nicknames is fantastic. I had a game recently where an American star reliever with good-for-a-pitcher-so-actually-bad hitting stats was nicknamed 'The Japanese Babe Ruth'.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Yeah, this guy has a good setup, plus we can't dump a baseball player from Brooklyn.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Benny the Jet must return to us

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Per BBR Daemon's OPS+ would be sixth all time, behind three of the Bond years, one absurd outlier year from this guy from the year the St Louis Maroons played in a jumped up minor league:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dunlafr01.shtml

and then wedged in between Ruth's 1920 and 1921.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
That Granados drop is absurd, that's the kind of drop from current to potential you would see on like a 50 year old still trying to play.

Ride out Leiter's deal we're not paying that kind of money to a guy with a 4.00 era this year.

Don't do the trade.

Also, can we get the Indians to change their name after this season? I feel like ownership has had enough time to decide on a change.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'd be surprised if OOTP had something it simulated less in depth than average, but I've also been surprised before.

What I want to know, is does the game model players being suspended at all? I don't think I've ever seen a sports game where having a sufficiently big enough poo poo head on your team can lead to ejections and suspensions.

EDIT: Except for a couple of baseball ones where you, the player, could deliberately start playing Bean Ball.

OOTP has suspensions pop up occasionally for in game fights, but I haven't noticed players with bad personal traits get those events more often than guys with good traits.

What you will get with bad character guys are more clubhouse issues. Guys who are outspoken can call out their teammates and then you have the option to do nothing about it, suspend them for X number of games, or just straight up release them. I've also seen an event where's a dude will open a nightclub during the off-season and then get suspended when things go wrong on opening night.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
This was a fun LP, thank you for running it.

The fantasy leagues can be neat, but they require a lot of setup, and even then you just pop into a world without any generated history which is kind of weird. This 33 year old is a superstar and he has no career hits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Sometimes the least popular teams in baseball will relocate or rename themselves to try and drum up interest. I've only ever seen it happen to the Marlins and the Rays, but the names and color schemes are just pulled from a pack of ~100 generics that OOTP stores. I have a game right now where the Rays became the Austin Purple Aces(???)