Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

1. Mariners
2. Pirates

Signing Bonus: The Jet because a solid utility man is never bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Player acquisition
1. Trash Heap Player -- I already know how to turn 5 star potential into 2.5 star benchwarmers, let's just cut out the waiting.

Roster Strategy
3. Push this year -- tanking is for chumps

Team Strategy
2. Smallball -- Call it the Suzuki Method

General Priorities
2. Pitching -- why not

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
2. Contact
3. Eye

Pitcher priorities:
2. Control -- the least sexy option!

Pitcher priorities:
1. Starters - relievers are a dime a dozen in this game (at least as of a few years ago versions)

Coaching Staff
1. Keep them on -- think of their families!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Also how is 22? I think 19 is the last one I played for more than a few minutes (I bought 20 on some sale but don't remember ever doing much with it).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Does having a good defensive catcher help out the pitchers in the minors? I always assumed it might but never really dug deep enough to figure it out.

I also usually just turned off the staff aspect because it got to be too much micro, although I think in more recent versions I just assigned it to the assistant Gm or whatever and let them deal with it. And because I always play in GM only mode most of my staff interaction is sending 2.5 star players back to AAA so that my idiot manager will finally put my all-star prospect in the lineup when I’m having them learn a new position.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Manager:
1. Ned Yost

Hitting Coach:
Don't care

Pitching Coach:
2. Bruce Billings

Outfield: Keep/Trade/Demote
1. Taylor Trammell - Keep
2. Kyle Lewis - Keep
3. Mitch Haniger - Trade
4. Jarred Kelenic - Keep
5. Julio Rodriguez - Trade for pitching because we are pitching focused

Pitching upgrades (pick 1-3):
4. De Geus - We can turn that 4 start potential right down to 3!
5. Robertson - Dependable talent for a couple years is a good thing

Infield upgrades (pick 0-1):
1. Ha-Seong Kim

Catcher Upgrades (pick 0-1):
3. Keibert Ruiz - Give up some decent talent if necessary, a young strong catcher is nice to have especially if we are focusing on pitching

Keep/Extend/Trade
1. Kyle Seager = Conditional Trade if we can get some of the above talent, otherwise keep and eat the salary next year
2. Jim Paxton = Trade assuming we restock our pitching a bit; one injury and he is done and worthless (I predict May 15 as the over/under for his elbow exploding).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Keep him down and call him up as necessary for injuries. From what I remember hot shot starters do best with a little ML experience covering for injuries for a year, and then bringing them up next year to tear poo poo up. I don't care about the Super 2 because if he is hot poo poo we should sign him up long term at a lower contract well before we get through arbitration, and if not trade him off anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Do any of the relievers have below average stamina (40+) and at least a third pitch that isn't total garbage? If so maybe slide them into the 5th slot and see what they can do for 4-5 innings. This also applies to any journeymen AAAA pitchers we have sitting around in the minors. I don't want to put one of our future stars in there but sometimes you can get a great half a season out of someone before they return to the mean.