Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

1: Mariners
2: Pirates

Benny the Jet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

it's more fun if we don't immediately win anyways

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Since Kikuchi is under Arb let's see what the market for trading him looks like first before just cutting him for nothing. Even a lotto ticket prospect or two is better than letting him walk. Maybe we can tie that into something to fill one of our holes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the solution is obviously to trade for byron buxton and then sign him to a huge extension

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

This needs a solid vote:

Bobby Witt Jr or Ke'Bryan Hayes. Or, neither, we're giving up too much

That's weird it doesn't seem like this

bewbies posted:

Alright. So, here's the deal with BWJ. After hard negotiations with the Royals, we've reached three mutually acceptable possibilities:

1) Kelenic straight up.

and this

bewbies posted:

Alright, we've been negotiating hard with the Pirates for Ke'Bryan Hayes and this is the best deal we've found:

SP George Kirby (2.0/3.0, #23 overall)
SP/RP Garret Crochet (2.5/3.0)
1B Sam Travis (2.0/2.0)

have anything to make them mutually exclusive.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, Witt to SS is the move I was assuming we'd make with the trades

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think we start Leiter in the minors because there's legitimate reasons to do so. But if he's dominating and an improvement (or someone gets hurt and he's the clear best option) then don't service time fuckery him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Trading for Reyes or Naylor seems like the best fit for our "one team's trash" philosophy that we started with

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the upgrade to our infield still outweighs it imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thordain posted:

I mean, if Benny is on the Ozzie Smith-Andrelton spectrum defensively we should probably move Bobby Bats right? Moving him over to second and trading HSK makes the most sense to me

Yeah this is what feels like the play to me as well

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

isn't Hayes an elite defensive 3B I don't think we need to move him away from it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Manager:
one of the young guys

1B:
Trade for Kiriloff using HSK

Pursue Lu Bu Artega

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It looks like Buxton had 700 PAs last year why are his remains tattered

also who did you hire as the new manager

also also when I went looking for buxton on the leaderboards (because I remembered seeing him on the midseason ones) to check if he got hurt again I noticed that Kirilloff was sixth in XBH last year and 2nd in doubles across all of baseball :getin:

And this is a side note but lmao if he doesn't actually have 1B experience

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 19, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I guess I shouldn't be shocked at OOTP not knowing anything about twins players but Kirilloff has been learning 1B for like three years IRL which is one of the reasons I suggested him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Keep Giles for at least this season - Flags fly forever and he's been absolutely filthy for us this entire LP (when healthy)

Trade Marco - if he's not starting then his salary isn't worth it, obviously. Plus this frees up the money to extend Giles, if we want to.

Extend the coaches since they seem to be doing a pretty good job

and I think that Boston is a great place to start with trading Marco since they have that lefty reliever they want to get rid of for reasons

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thordain posted:

Benny was great but the pitching staff just spent the whole year flexing on everyone. Allowing less than 500 runs all season puts us in Year of the Pitcher territory.

I'm sure that's heavily influenced by how good the defense, which I assume was led by Benny, was.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

why were we the road team in the deciding game?

e: nevermind, it wasn't actually game 5 it was game 4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do the Trade

that also answers our 3B problem

Shop Trammel and Sheffield

But if Sheffield will actually sign for 14-17 million AAV he might be worth just keeping around TBQH

I don't really favor one guy over the others w/r/t extensions really.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

you're all cowards

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

People know who Gibson and Paige are let's see Charleston

also I nominate Sadaharu Oh as a historical player

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you trade a three time MVP and win the world series in one of those years, you still won the trade, right?

considering how good Robert Bats has been for us I would say so yeah

bewbies I'm curious can you post the career stats of Witt and Kelenic post trade?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that youtube link isn't going where you think it is

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Veryslightlymad posted:

So I take it that extending Gilbert early was never an option. C'est la vie.

Keep the stadium close to how it is. It's ideal for how we play, and even with high roster turnover, there's no sense in changing up our pitching, as our best one is locked up long term.

Development of prospects
Never. Ever. Tank.

Emphasize hitting.

Contact and defense.
Movement.

For the never tank, if you want to cut a bunch of salary and give experience to the most promising prospects, that's fine. But saying "guess we lose" before the season starts is dumb.

this is all good

also I'm interested in what the return would be on each of the guys we need to choose from is

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

There is, but it hasn't seen action for almost two years. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886251

Last post by our own IcePhoenix

the perfect post to kill the thread since it's what killed the game (for me)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think we know how he got his nickname now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

We slow down a lot through the late summer. We're being propelled largely by 3 players: Rocker, Leiter, Bats, and J-Rod.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thordain posted:

I see Preciado is already at full power, but goddamn I love Wacky Jack.

Castro makes me think we should get more failed baseball prospects who went on to other things like Kurt Russell

How is this man not your go to for that example

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't you just import Pete from the previous LP where he had like maxed out scouting abilities? I think him just retiring/saying something to the owner that makes us fire him and us needing to replace him with an actual scout and deal with that is probably enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oldskool posted:

The issue with replacing Pete, as it were, is that it doesn't add any additional challenge now. We already have a super team built, so unless we immediately start wheeling and dealing en masse the ratings the new scout gives won't be relevant for quite a while.

I don't agree, we may have a core signed long term but we've been cycling players in and out pretty frequently.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also voting for Harris

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Since Tavares refused to resign I assume that means he re-signed on a pretty good deal for us? That's awesome!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Make batless barry bonds from that jon bois video imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

As for voting, Jawrocki seems like the kind of guy who always ends up as a reliever in my games so that's a hard pass from me.

I'd probably go Zwick or NARD

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's the R stuff on the contract page

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schnorkles posted:

Retained salary. You keep paying a dude a certain percentage of his contract in order to make him more attractive as trade bait.

Thanks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I won't stand for this blatant Joe Mauer erasure

2009 Joe Mauer: 365/444/587 171OPS+ 7.8 bwar (8.4 fwar) in 109 games caught (138 games total)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schnorkles posted:

Also Daemon Wrona is Mike Trout with a better glove which is, uh, :yikes:

Ted Williams in Byron Buxton's body

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

"durable" though

I was actually trying to figure out a way to include an out for the injury history but ultimately decided not to push it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

well that's one way to flatten the mood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Benny seems like a great utility guy to have on the bench. Also get Bornstien