Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

kiimo posted:

They should start with trimming down their list to MAGA only nobody else wants to go to Lexington post pandemic

Lexington's nice. It's an ok city, you've got the bourbon trail and bluegrass country in general is really pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You also have the people

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Guy from Kansas: This southern college town is a right wing hellhole! Surely no college basketball coach would want to go there!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I never claimed to be unbiased when it comes to Kentucky.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

To be fair, Lawrence isn't really like the rest of Kansas. Is Lexington similar?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I. M. Gei posted:

So Drew is out, Hurley is out, Oats is out, Donovan is out, Pearl is probably out.

... who's left? Maybe Pitino if Arizona's AD is still a financial mess?

Dawn Staley

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

To be fair, Lawrence isn't really like the rest of Kansas. Is Lexington similar?

That's how they made it seem on the documentary series "Justified."

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I. M. Gei posted:

So Drew is out, Hurley is out, Oats is out, Donovan is out, Pearl is probably out.

https://x.com/JonRothstein/status/1778522654380830881

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't think Donovan and Pearl are out. Donovan is probably choice number one now, but you'd have to hope loses the play-in game to get him sooner. If there's no news this weekend, I'd bet he's the next coach. Problem is you can't wait too long because or else the portal window closes.

I think Pearl would take it if offered. But I thought that about Drew too.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Look up why she's named Tara for a fun surprise

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Wiltsghost posted:

Yes and no. Lexington has a certain amount of snootiness/wealth to it, but it's no Waco. Lawrence is more just your typical Midwestern college town. Like, I hate Lexington because the worst parts of living in Owensboro was it pretending to be Lexington when it's not, but it's certainly not a bad place to be.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Also, Beshear kept that state more COVID-compliant than the rest of the region.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/petethamel/status/1778597639384150350?s=46

Criminal Minded posted:

Look up why she's named Tara for a fun surprise

yep

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

check this out

Park Mope

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Alaois posted:

check this out

Park Mope

Did UK watch what happened to their little brother up I-64 the past two years? I think we’ve seen this movie recently.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thank goodness this is resolved, i would hate to have something like this hanging over the bulls as they prepare for the play-in tournament.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Weasel Mitch Barnhart makes a hire that is perfect for himself and only himself. Hire a favored Wildcat son and the hire is unassailable, since to criticize the hire is to be criticizing the favored Wildcat son.

Going into this season I had Mark Pope on the list for guys after the guy after Calipari. Like once Mark Pope had been the the NCAA Tournament more than twice or even won a game!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Mark Pope HAS NO RESUME.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
:dafuq:

Apparently didn't even make serious contact with Donovan. Pearl? Smart? Underwood? Sampson? Otzelberger?

I like Mark Pope. He was part of the 96 championship team. He's done fine at Utah St and BYU. But if he hadn't played for UK there's no way he'd be higher on the list than anyone above, plus others. This feels like a cop out after Drew said no.

Maybe hiring a former player works like UNC and Duke. Maybe it doesn't like Indiana and Louisville (and even Kentucky with Joker Phillips).

This just feels so uninspired.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

donovan has the sweetest gig in the nba, he was never going anywhere. he can coach the bulls for life. jerry reinsdorf doesn't fire anyone and the gm doesn't do anything.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wiltsghost posted:

Most cities in red states are not like the rest of the state. Cities are predominately blue, no matter what state.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

That's wild that when Scott Drew came to talk God was like "hold up, my son," then immediately turns around like "Mark, I beckon ye."

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Just little things but UAB held on to their best player, Yaxel Lendeborg for another year. Word from a booster is that he took an NIL from UAB for $250k and turned down $500k to stay. So I guess that's the going rate for a relatively committed AAC conference tourney MVP

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

as a kentucky fan im trying very hard not to be negative but this is insanely unfair to mark pope. hes been given an impossible job with a fan base that is already on edge and im not sure there's anything he can say to make me believe he can become a championship coach.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

40 lbs to freedom posted:

as a kentucky fan im trying very hard not to be negative but this is insanely unfair to mark pope. hes been given an impossible job with a fan base that is already on edge and im not sure there's anything he can say to make me believe he can become a championship coach.

I’m looking for positives and coming up with

- coaches always perform better at UK than they did at previous stops
- probably cheaper? Maybe more booster promises to NIL?
- after the big fish, if you don’t feel like the other guys on tier 2 are 10+ year coaches, does that make taking a chance on the guy who could be a 20 year guy worth the gamble?
- maybe Reed Sheppard is at the press conference?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Chief McHeath posted:

I’m looking for positives and coming up with

- coaches always perform better at UK than they did at previous stops
- probably cheaper? Maybe more booster promises to NIL?
- after the big fish, if you don’t feel like the other guys on tier 2 are 10+ year coaches, does that make taking a chance on the guy who could be a 20 year guy worth the gamble?
- maybe Reed Sheppard is at the press conference?

Convincing Reed to come back for year 2 might go a long way with the fan base. Team him up with Travis Perry for two in state guys for fans to rally around.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1778638108885426335

This guy is the sixth highest paid college basketball coach in the country

https://twitter.com/PostJimmer/status/1778522770290405821

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oh no

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

big time boylen vibes holy poo poo

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
But wait, there's more!
https://twitter.com/shyannajude/status/1778619214019916229?t=HxYalJjanTY5v220nR84qA&s=19

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

well now its official so i pledge to be the biggest mark pope fan in the world until this time 2025

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

*biggest mark pope fan paused*

this makes me want to die

* biggest mark pop fan resumed

cats by 40 go pope go

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

He sounds like that shithead coach from the Kansas season(s?) of Last Chance U. Terrible vibes based on that alone.

But lol at him filming his Kentucky promo in BYU's gym.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I do not think this is remotely the worst option Kentucky could’ve landed on but if Pope succeeds in moving from the BYU job to somewhere else he’d be the first but no one else has attempted it on this scale. Generally BYU coaches run into the problem of no longer having a captive pool of recruits—many of them well into their 20s thanks to mission years—so it very much comes down to his ability to hit the ground running with recruitment based on the UK brand

elentar fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 12, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://x.com/boardgeniuses/status/1778605467586949425?s=46&t=4HCQHNrQSCCyTv5_MzlCTw

things are going over well it seems

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kentucky turning into Indiana? Don't threaten me with a good time

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

This guy’s bit is also related:

https://twitter.com/cardchronicle/status/1778599732832567722?s=46&t=34m6awgRJvdE3HHUh3Y3bw

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm glad to see Mike Pope out of BYU because they gave ISU fits last year. I think he could have a really good offense with better players who can hit shots more consistently.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/realpitino/status/1778808591060812005?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

coaches love every other coach, especially the lovely ones.