Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strong Sauce posted:

i looked around for what he said. apparently he was streaming on twitch instead of douyu (chinese streaming site) and he said something along the lines of, "In China you can't say Taiwan is Taiwan/Hong Kong is Hong Kong, the team told me if you want to make Chinese money you have to be a dog to the Chinese. Now I am a good bitch of China by learning Chinese"

hes not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
folks I think Over Watch League is gonna be good this year

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dallas vs houston opening match is going to be disappointing for one side, possibly both.

I.CANT.WAIT

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/LAGladiators/status/1382390836458004481?s=19

:laffo: I hope he really is there with them and not playing on ping again

kevster is confirmed to still be in europe and playing on ping, but apparently players have said on stream that he's likely to be joining them in LA soon

xzi retiring is a real shame, hopefully he'll be able to recover and return eventually. him just blowing everyone away last season was a real highlight. he was pretty underrated at the start of last year because hadn't seen much playtime in contenders in late 2019 bc EM were running sparkle/doha hackfist all the time, and before that he'd been playing flex support in goats, so it seemed like most western commentators didn't know just how great he was at the time. the most likely candidates for a replacement are probably nenne, stitch, mer1t, develop, innovation or ace. dallas said they're open to a western replacement but i kinda doubt they'd end up doing that bc there really just isn't the unsigned talent at the moment.

it would be fantastic to see diya picked up but i really doubt they'd go for him - historically chinese players have been harder to get visas for which is a huge issue at the moment and he doesn't speak much korean iirc - when he's been on mixed rosters in the past they commed in english & the team not wanting to do that is part of why he only played like one map in s2

lih fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 15, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Theory: Dallas buys Logix's contract from Toronto. He's definitely worse than Xzi on hitscan, but he's a better Tracer than anybody they have currently. We know Dallas is happy to pay another team enough money to make them give up their players based on Paris this offseason, and when is Logix going to start over Heesu or Na1st anyway?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I like that theory, but depends of what he's been comming with on his Korean teams. Mayhem commed in english when they were mixed, no idea what Toronto is going with when they only have Logix and Beast. Also worth pointing out Logix is in Canada with the rest of Toronto iirc so he'd still need an American visa

https://twitter.com/LAGladiators/status/1382413041690574848?s=19

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dallas is fully korean so while his hero pool does fit their needs, I just don't see them picking up logix. if they're willing to drop the cash for another owl player, surely there's a better fit

imagine how funny it'd be if they bought out happy's contract from houston

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/LAGladiators/status/1382750871159664641?s=19

So jokes aside, kevster does have a visa but can't travel to US atm.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/mrpoxn/gaebullssi_uprising_academy_off_tank_is_listed_on/

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Someday Boston will be able to announce their own players, but today is not that day

Matches tomorrow :toot:

e: my preds for the weekend. I'm too mexican to enter the Mei statue giveaway :argh:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 16, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

I think those are pretty good! Literally the only things I would change are:

- Mayhem 3-1'ing Atlanta
- Glads 3-0'ing Dallas
- Toronto 3-1'ing Atlanta

(I don't like Atlanta)

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Green screen is pretty bad, but whatever OWL is back baby.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I wonder if all the redditors clamoring for S1 Watchpoint to come back are happy now or getting Beranstain'd hard :allears:

Don't ever let Custa use that godawful american accent, tho

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

they advertise the pickem website after the site locks for the first games :(

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
AFTER SIX LONG MONTHS

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

they advertise the pickem website after the site locks for the first games :(

I mentioned it on another post but forgot to link it :doh:

Also can I say this sponsorship owns e: no idea why they deleted the lineup tweet, but they have a sponsorship with Boomer Naturals, which apparently is a real company that exists ITYOOL 2021 https://twitter.com/Outlaws/status/1382473549928136708

Ignis fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
viewership looking p. good so far, way up from W1 last year

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

no hitscan from dallas really hurt them there...

edit: i guess not on busan downtown..

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 16, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Fearless has to be getting tired of being on teams that give up a healer before the teamfight starts

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/BostonUprising/status/1383073058852835336

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Good for fish dick man

Junkbuck worked miracles with Outlaws, they look so different today

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wow good win for fuel. it looked like outlaws were going to finish king's row with more time but they just got held up on the 3rd point.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Wow, 85,000 viewers on YouTube? That seems like a real bump from the start of last season.

The production values are WAY higher now, too. Smoother stream, much higher resolution, drops are back... I'm glad that 2020 didn't kill OWL.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Stream is the best I’ve seen since the league started. Been streaming 4K the entire time with one brief hiccup before the match started.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/BadPachimari/status/1383145647126294535

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/BadPachimari/status/1383150809966391300

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dallas kinda threw that map rip

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I just wanted to watch a Doha vs Danteh Sombra duel, dammit :argh:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maybe this is a silly thing to ask, but I haven't watched OWL since the first year. Anybody have a rundown of like... who are some cool/funny/interesting players to watch on the various teams? I think Soon and Surefour are the only ones I remember by name. Did they ever get more than one female player in the league?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Welp, it wouldn't be OWL if Houston didn't throw on map 5, so here we go...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

they need to delay the feed slightly for the public and let the broadcasters watch it in "normal" time because they're reaction is delayed due to them not being there "live" so it seems like they see the action at the same time as the public but by the time the audience hears what they're saying its already been a bit since the action happened. its annoying about the sports broadcasts that've been happening during the pandemic.

also good hold on assault by dallas.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

megane posted:

Maybe this is a silly thing to ask, but I haven't watched OWL since the first year. Anybody have a rundown of like... who are some cool/funny/interesting players to watch on the various teams? I think Soon and Surefour are the only ones I remember by name. Did they ever get more than one female player in the league?

no.. the only woman who's played an OWL match is geguri and the dragons let her go in the offseason. so there's no one now in OWL.. i think there are women in contenders though.

if you're talking about fan favorites.. danteh is probably the most well known on the outlaws, dallas has a pretty good lineup except their hitscan had to retire a couple days ago due to health issues

the next match gladiators vs shock will be a good one. basically everyone on both teams play at a very high level. very few weaknesses.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

megane posted:

Geguri no longer plays for the Dragons. Most of the remarkable female players have retired, I think Aspen on NA is the one player with the better shot at the league. We have VikkiKitty casting matches now, too.

For this match, Dallas' SP9RK1E is a standout, and from the other team I'd say Happy. For Shock vs Gladiators, Super might get a few maps of playing and Rein BMing, and Kevster from Gladiators might reveal his new Genji headpiece as he continues to hide his face from the public eye

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

good first game. surprisingly close considering fuel doesn't even have a hitscan player. hell it would have been 3-1 for them if they hadn't thrown havana

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I trusted Element Fuel to bring back their old reaper fist days and they did not disappoint

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm enjoying Danny's "it's picture day in middle school in the year 2003" outfit today.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Kevster is an anime and nero is the shock logo

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

You know what this Soldier meta means.

DALLAS IS BRINGING BACK AKM

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
shock is this good without glister. 3 time championship inc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I guess ta1yo is never gonna stop being that guy who hangs out with the shock, if Crusty would rather have viol2t dps over him