Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lol violet on the mccree because they can put twilight on flex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, I've figured out how to make the Spark 12-man roster work: be so unbelievably dominant that you can move people around to off-roles in order to make room for bench players to get in the game.

I like it, I like it; let's do it boys

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/Viol2t_OW/status/1363899960975003648?s=19

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Ta1yo never :smith:

https://twitter.com/SFShock/status/1383195534425346049?s=19

That was disgusting

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
both these matches were about how i expected things to go. glad houston are looking good, idk why people were so sceptical about them, and dallas still looked solid enough even without a hitscan player. glads seemed kinda outclassed by shock and lol that shock were messing around putting viol2t on dps even against a team that's supposed to be as strong glads. i don't really have faith in dpei as a coach to be able to strategically compete with the shock and while their line-ups are close in skill there's still a gap.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think viol3t on dps is messing around that much. If striker cant play mccree he's legitimately their 2nd best hitscan. He has been grinding dps hard for the last 6 months. Hitting heads with hitscan is so much easier than hitting heads on zen and he does that no problem against the best players in the world. Hes a real dps but his team needs a support more sometimes

Its not like putting twilight in is a bad move. The team isnt losing any strength, just shifting it around. Shock is terrifying this year. If they show a strong widow and ashe its over.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

As a Houston fan, I'm skeptical of Houston because they're Houston, but I'm glad they won and they looked surprisingly good. Dallas looked good too despite having to compensate for the loss of Xzi but I would have thought they'd have looked better with Fearless/Hanbin on the frontline. I'm still watching Glads/Shock because I missed the daytime games earlier but the Shock so far seem like.... I mean. They're the team to beat. They don't seem like they've missed a step since last season.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Houston tankline looked kinda lost against Dallas, but I think with more experience and confidence they could be way better. Piggy had several mid-cues with grav and other ults but I think he has a lot of upside

lih
May 15, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

i dont think viol3t on dps is messing around that much. If striker cant play mccree he's legitimately their 2nd best hitscan. He has been grinding dps hard for the last 6 months. Hitting heads with hitscan is so much easier than hitting heads on zen and he does that no problem against the best players in the world. Hes a real dps but his team needs a support more sometimes

Its not like putting twilight in is a bad move. The team isnt losing any strength, just shifting it around. Shock is terrifying this year. If they show a strong widow and ashe its over.

they have glister too who is also an extremely good hitscan. it's not like it's super on genji level of messing around but it's definitely the sort of experimenting that i wasn't necessarily expecting them to pull out against glads because experimental role swaps in the past hasn't always worked out for them.

between striker, glister, and now viol2t i'm sure they'll be fine at making up for not having ans. who knows what taiyo has been up to as well lol

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You mean the guy who hangs out with the shock, right

20 min till APAC. Wisely enough, only the Fusion match is getting a rerun. The Philly rebroadcast will have drops as well.
https://twitter.com/ggDoA/status/1383336772264812546?s=19

Ignis fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 17, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

not that viol2t's ana is bad.. but arguably his weakest character out of baptiste/zen/ana so they could afford to test it out if it was just a test.... they had architect playing some ana at the beginning of last(?) season and when their line late last year was brig/ana they put twilight on the ana and viol2t on the brig. i suppose it could have also been that viol2t was the better brig player..

but yeah honestly curious why they ran viol2t on mccree instead of just having glister play it and have striker play the tracer.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I dunno what this new music they've got going during down time is but it loving rules.

lih
May 15, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

not that viol2t's ana is bad.. but arguably his weakest character out of baptiste/zen/ana so they could afford to test it out if it was just a test.... they had architect playing some ana at the beginning of last(?) season and when their line late last year was brig/ana they put twilight on the ana and viol2t on the brig. i suppose it could have also been that viol2t was the better brig player..

but yeah honestly curious why they ran viol2t on mccree instead of just having glister play it and have striker play the tracer.

i don't think it's in question that twilight's ana is better than viol2t's, and moth's brig is a real weakpoint (hence why skewed is playing brig for LAG).

thought about it and if fuel were to poach any hitscan player from an existing owl team the one that makes by far the most sense is diem, since he's a bench player that the dragons hardly need & we know was after a starting position in the off-season and didn't manage to find one despite being good enough to start pretty much anywhere else.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Fate really seems like a straight up downgrade from Fearless. I am not impressed at all with his ball skills.

lih
May 15, 2013

Fearless actually didn't play Ball much at all last season, they preferred to run Stand1 on Ball, and I saw it mentioned in an interview with Dallas that Fearless's Ball was a known weakness they were working on

that was a wild map, Shanghai turned it around so many times that seemed impossible

lih fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 17, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

maybe i'm misremembering but moth did/would play brig in the same series where they would also have twilight/viol2t playing together... but mainly on maps where the meta wasn't dual flex support... which was the meta on large parts of the maps. moth always played brig the most so i don't think viol2t played brig because moth was bad at it, they just needed both viol2t and twilight in at the same time. again i could be misremembering it all..

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wow shanghai just lost 2nd point because kariv slept fate and then nano'd choisehwan

edit: void has been pulse bombed at least 3 times in this map.. lol

lih
May 15, 2013

as the season went on there was a clear preference for them running twilight/viol2t on support whenever they wanted to primarily run brig, not just for double flex-support. twilight actually played brig more than viol2t, looking at the stats. idk exactly what was wrong with moth's brig play but between that & glads putting in skewed exclusively to play brig so far (including pre-season stuff) it really seems like it's a problem for him.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Boy it really wouldn't be APAC without massive technical difficulties.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Lmao, alright, I guess Shanghai just had to shake off some rust. Because wow once they put their game faces on, it wasn't even close.

lih
May 15, 2013

guess it isn't chengdu if they don't throw at least one map to the valiant

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I don't imagine Valiant actually wins this, but as a Spark fan I'm extremely encouraged that Chengdu is still throwing.

I did not like seeing Choisehwan look absolutely insane on the Tracer for Charge; I did not like that one bit.

edit: I'm calling it, Molanran is the new Shockwave, the weirdly good DPS on a trash team.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 17, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

i know the rumours are that philly has been terrible in scrims recently but i find it hard to believe they'd be bad enough to lose to the valiant, even with their substitutes. their all-korean lineup is still easily top half of apac on paper and they have a great coach

like this match with chengdu has only been competitive for the valiant when chengdu was actively throwing

lih fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 17, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

lih posted:

i know the rumours are that philly has been terrible in scrims recently but i find it hard to believe they'd be bad enough to lose to the valiant, even with their substitutes. their all-korean lineup is still easily top half of apac on paper and they have a great coach

You would think, but I wonder.

My opinion is that most teams are closer in ability than it appears, with a couple of outliers at the top of the board and a couple of outliers at the bottom. However, I also think that team performance is extremely consistent from match to match, much moreso than you would see in other sports. So, even though Team A might only be 10% better than Team B, Team A is going to win like 80%+ of those head-to-head matchups because teams are almost always operating within +/- 5% of their ability.

In other news, Molanran's Genji seems like a hard throw. I have no idea why he swapped that and and stuck with it.

lih
May 15, 2013

that's true for the majority of teams but Seoul were absurdly inconsistent last season for example

i expect this season will be a lot more competitive in general though

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

lih posted:

like this match with chengdu has only been competitive for the valiant when chengdu was actively throwing

From what I heard, Philly was looking bad in scrims due to bad ping on a lot of their critical non-Korean players. I would otherwise find it very hard to believe Philly could lose to this Valiant squad. They really don't look good, even with Chengdu actively throwing against them.

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah like Molanran looks good but only on Tracer and Wya and Showcheng seem ok but the rest are dreadful.

Philly up next, re: their scrimbucks some people seemed to be implying they were still looking bad in scrims after getting their subs but idk the rumours were pretty vague there and could easily be wrong. when they were scrimming with Poko and FunnyAstro still and looking terrible they were apparently mostly scrimming in NA with the entire team playing on ping because that was better than having FunnyAstro and Poko have even worse ping to Korea lol

edit: yeah already i doubt there's anyway Philly will end up losing to Valiant tomorrow

lih fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 17, 2021

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Philly definitely looks up and down right now but they've had what, like a week tops to practice with their new players? I think they'll be alright. Nobody on their team is bad.

lih
May 15, 2013

my understanding is they'd been with the team for a week or two before the official announcement due to league approval etc.

there were all these 'rascal is washed up' rumours but he's been looking great

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gonna be really funny if Philly's the only team to go 3-0 this week.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Gonna be really funny if Philly's the only team to go 3-0 this week.

Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but that was a decisive end to the series. Love seeing Seoul underwhelm, too.

...Yes, I know this just means that the Spark will inexplicably be terrible, but I can remain in denial about that for another week at least

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

surf rock posted:

Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but that was a decisive end to the series. Love seeing Seoul underwhelm, too.

...Yes, I know this just means that the Spark will inexplicably be terrible, but I can remain in denial about that for another week at least

Don’t worry buddy, I’m sure the Bang boys will bang at least a little bit

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hey if nothing else, they'll at least beat Valiant.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/PharaohOW/status/1383497019281403904?s=19

Glad to see Mr Logix still playing, I was afraid they'd relegate him to Social Media with Beast for the season

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/PharaohOW/status/1383497019281403904?s=19

Glad to see Mr Logix still playing, I was afraid they'd relegate him to Social Media with Beast for the season
Beast's in

lih
May 15, 2013

it's hard to understand why Toronto would ever play Beast at all when they have Sado but Toronto is a fairly confusing team

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

We're bad at countering Rush and I'm going to pretend eichenwalde didn't happen but hey, a win's a win :toot:

Second shooeie this month for Custa, at least he doesn't have to wear a Mercy costume this time

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

lih posted:

it's hard to understand why Toronto would ever play Beast at all when they have Sado but Toronto is a fairly confusing team

Yeah that was confusing, bringing Beast in. I hope they just... don't play him. Heesu looked great! but it is Vancouver, so who knows.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

missed most of the day and come in to see dallas up over glads? that's wild

also the people rating atlanta so highly didn't make any sense to me so florida beating them feels vindicating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

There's only one reasonable takeaway from the first two days worth of games:

The Outlaws are better than the Gladiators.