Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Someone mentioned that there used to be a YOSPOS BBS in the Telehack thread recently, and I think it's a pretty cool idea. I've been on a few BBSes before, and considered setting my own up, but that'd be a huge pain in the rear end of renting a VPS to run it off while having no income, and then finding someone to do all the art for it (because gently caress trying to do that myself, I'm bad enough at regular art).

So, I guess I'm making this thread to draw attention to it, maybe someone else'll feel like setting one up, maybe I'll manage to get around to setting one up, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll pay for a small digitalocean VPS for a couple of months if you're okay with me retaining root on it (i'll help as I can but will let you drive the project)

sounds good to me
never tried running one of these before so it should be a nice learning experience

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

cool. lets start with the little single core instance, i run a whole rear end web server on one. I'll PM you after i have some time to set it up.

also be aware of https://enigma-bbs.github.io/ - modern code old idea

our big challenge will be getting the bbs games working, from my previous experience. dosbox fuckery will be involved

enigma looks pretty good, seems like it has more customization than synchronet too

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

while i wait for jonny to get the VPS set up im gonna try out a test board on SDF to get the hang of the config and all that poo poo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

why’d you change your av to gentle autists exact same av

i didn't, someone else did
the funny thing is i changed my av while i was probed, and then while i was still probed, someone else changed it to this
so someone must've been spam-refreshing my profile to see when i spent money on changing my poo poo back to normal solely so they could drop another 10 bucks on this, as since i was probed they wouldnt have been able to see unless they were looking at my profile directly
lmao

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

would you like $10 to change it back?

i am incredibly broke so im probably just gonna stick with this one or ask a mod nicely idk

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

drat, what did you do to piss someone off that much lol

i simply posted too good

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SmokaDustbowl posted:

last time I connected to the yosbbs I used a literal 286, but I had to throw all my old poo poo away when I moved. what's the best terminal these days?

syncterm and netrunner are pretty good terminals

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well ive never hosed around with running a BBS before and i have no idea how the art manages to integrate with the menus but i guess ill figure that out once i get to setting poo poo up
may even try and make some art (i remember seeing some kind of art tool on another board i was on)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i only just remembered windows is cool and good and the guy who invented SSH or some poo poo purposely made it so that it doesnt work well on windows because its a security risk so of course im now doing some dumb poo poo to try and get my yubikey to work for ssh auth on WSL

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mediaphage posted:

i just use putty on win

yes but there is still the issue of not being able to use my yubikey's private key
unlike on linux which just detects it and goes "yea gently caress it lets use that" like it should

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i can see the card in gpg4win its just an issue getting putty or WSL to actually loving use it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mediaphage posted:

annoying to be sure but seems like a lot of tutorials with a perfunctory googlin’

lol
implying i havent been googling this poo poo for loving ages
they are all more or less "it just works" poo poo which does not actually work because the guide was written in 2011 or some poo poo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ansible Adams posted:

now i get the avi

i still dont i guess i need to lurk more

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

never even touched docker before so im currently reading up on how to mount these volumes to work with it so i can actually configure poo poo

https://nuskooler.github.io/enigma-bbs/installation/docker.html

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yubikeys are loving great i use mine as 2FA for my keeper account
so even if the fuckers get my password they cant get in without it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah for now im just using a password until i can figure that poo poo out

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

currently building glibc manually because of course apt cant find it lmao
all this just so i can get the bbs running LORD

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hate
hate
hate
hate

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i
what

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Zlodo posted:

you're probably missing the glibc dev package

sudo apt install libc6-dev

nope. i checked that too.
the readmes for this poo poo are incredibly outdated too so lmao

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

apparently i am missing /etc/ld-linux.so.2
and i have no idea where to get it

maybe i do have it but its somewhere else idfk

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

will get local doors working eventually but for now we're pretty much only gonna have door servers

i say "only" but door servers tend to be fuckhuge so

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah isn't there that one network that basically has hosted games and we just set up one gateway and people can go play everything on them?

Forget the name

several, yeah
although that does mean our user's scores will be mixed in with complete strangers so idk if anyone cares about that
local doors will always be the superior dick-waving contests so im gonna get some of those set up if i can

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alexandriao posted:

Was about to say -- you're trying to run either a musl libc binary on a glibc system, or a glibc binary on a musl libc system, this is not going to work.

Is the operating system of the server alpine linux? If yes, you can try to install glibc-compat, although in my experience it is not very useful. I would suggest rebuilding the binary that you need from source, or fetching it from the repositories.

For reference, I filed an explanation of this incompatibility between system libcs as an issue in the spotifyd repository -- see if the physical symptoms of the problem match yours:

As you can see the interpreter is interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, this directory does not exist on my system. Where the default is /lib/ for 64 bit. In addition, the ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 binary does not exist on my system, as the loader is ld-musl-x86_64.so.1:

When the package gcompat, which provides /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, is installed, you instead get the following error:

[/quote]

yeah i uh

figured it out
maybe

its whatever ill work on it tomorrow

but on the plus side

the board is now connected to MRC - like IRC but across different BBSes

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

oh gently caress yes good job

i mean all it was was changing a false to a true in the config

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

drat those fyad boys hit me with another banger

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gentle Autist posted:

yeah but you needed to know to do that

usually the fix is simple but finding wtf to fix is hard

take your wins where you can

i knew how to do it because the config file is filled with genuinely helpful comments telling me "hey turn this to this to do this"
the dev is a good man

pre:
    chatServers: {
        // multi relay chat settings. No need to sign up, just enable it.
        // More info: https://bbswiki.bottomlessabyss.net/index.php?title=MRC_Chat_platform
        mrc: {
            enabled: true
            serverHostname: mrc.bottomlessabyss.net
            serverPort: 5000
        }
    }

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright we got a DNS and all that poo poo set up but i think we're gonna wait until there's a few doors up and maybe the custom theme's somewhat done before i post the address

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

got the art tools back out

lol

nice

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i was looking through the files areas of some other boards to find some door games to add and uh

w
what

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

i think people have rewritten lord in more modern langs to not be so cishet so you can eventually seduce either violet or seth able regardless of your gender

its not compatible with this old bbs poo poo tho

isnt enigma pretty modern software? like, written in 2017 or whatever

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

personally trying to figure out how to change the appearance of the data that the bbs software puts in your ANSI art
like it's represented in the .ANS files as %XM1 for example, but... i have no idea how to change what that looks like, or how to determine what tag represents what data
blegh

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

nevermind im a colossal dumbass theres an entire page in the docs on it
https://nuskooler.github.io/enigma-bbs/art/mci.html

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

since the general bbs scene will probably find it as everyone's BBS address is advertised in the MRC chat, i made a goon group to determine who is and isnt a goon
considering making a YOSPOS group too in case anyone from other boards feels like joining but i figured id ask here first to see how elitist you want me to be about it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ah poo poo
mystic has some pretty neat features but we're using enigma
i dont know if it's at all possible to port the file index reader and all that poo poo from mystic, ill look into it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

mystic's neat. we ran it one season
other times we ran synchronet and the last run was x84

how difficult would you say it'd be to switch over to mystic? there seems to be much more support for it, plus more addons n poo poo
e: not saying we SHOULD btw

hbag fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 18, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

nah lets stick with enigma i dont wanna switch poo poo up just as im getting the hang of it
i just need to figure out how to change the appearance of MCI codes (if you log in now you'll notice the 'last callers' list has a black background instead of matching the art i made) and also how to set up doors - like 'bargame' in drive_c for example

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

look for the 'mci' blocks in the theme.hjson file. i think that styling stuff is defined there

ah right i see
cool ill get some art done soon then
its gonna suck but its a start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yyyyyyyyyeah the colour codes dont seem to be working
like for example

pre:
			fullLoginSequenceWhosOnline: {
				mci: {
					VM1: {
						height: 10,
						width: 20
						itemFormat: "|03|18{node:<6.6}|11{userName:<17.17}|03{affils:<19.19}|11{action:<20.20}|03{timeOn:<8}"
					}
				}
			}
this SHOULD give VM1 a green background buuut... it doesn't. it sticks with its regular black background

e: i am in fact a big stinky moron who was editing the wrong thing

hbag fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 18, 2021