Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
holy poo poo.

the fans own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Love hurts

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Akki making a good point about how shins just loving hurt, and it sucks.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

CLOWN SHIN VOILENCE

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Dead Clown :smith:

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lmao that leg drop onto the shins was perfect

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Chris is right, That's J-PW really is showcasing the development of Pom. That was a fun match.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Pom's top three singles matches have all been on That's J-PW tbh

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That's JPWthoughts

Chrissy B and Akki back once again. Pom both is and has a big fan. Camera pulls out so a Tiny Steiner can fit on the screen.

1) Pom Harajuku vs Yuki Aino. Pom does not want to give up her fans, she is cheerleading for Aino. This match is amazing. If Pom makes it to the end of this match still using the fans this is nine stars. Oops, thrust kick from Aino and the fans are gone. After the initial glorious silliness this becomes super hard hitting. Aino is a powerhouse, Pom is an increasingly great striker. This was really good.

I love this little wrestling show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Misao vs Raku is taking place under special rules that Hyper Misao will announce tomorrow

https://twitter.com/misao_tjp/status/1402628975067680768

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Good.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Misao's special rules are always a good time, and on That's J-PW I don't even need to rely on the Twitter to explain them!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
goddamnit why is that opening jingle always mixed so much louder than everything else

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

HELLO BIG CHILDREN!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Wait, Yuu's on commentary too? Cool, I - oh nevermind. don't get my hopes up like that chris

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
whoa, akki taking it deep

e: weird phrasing, he took the conversation to a deeper place

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lol raku so excited to hear these rules

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

DUELING EXPRESSES :allears:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Raku checking her phone mid sentence was adorable. No word on the train of the day.

1) Raku vs Hyper Misao. Rules for this match: Raku's pins only count after the Goodnight Express. Sneaky Raku keeps moving to avoid the move, Misao does a train impression. Nine stars. The rope full Nelson is a great horrible move. The best Misao matches are the ones where she meticulously constructs a petard and then immediately gets hoist by it. Here she fights through for a very silly victory. Very good fun, Hyper Misao you are terrible.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

It's time friends!

CAT

Edit: MATCH IS MAXIMUM CAT

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 14, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This was a hell of a performance from Neko. While she was clearly the huge undercat in this match she really brought it to Miyu and had some great inventive spots. That's JPW is doing a great job at giving time in singles to people who had previously been hidden in tags.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Here for Akki being unabashedly Team Neko

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want to get into TJPW. I see there's an English commentary team and I really need that to tell me who everyone is/what's happening. Is that every show? Is there a show every week? Same with DDT? Is there somewhere I can find this info? Please help me!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
so for the DDT the answer is simple: they haven't yet done any English commentary for a stand-alone DDT show. The Cyberfight Festival show (which was a joint show between the four Cyberfight-owned promotions: DDT, NOAH, TJPW and Ganbare) had English commentary on everything including the DDT matches but that has been it so far - I suspect the long term plan is that everything gets it for all of the significant shows but who knows.

For TJPW its a bit more complicated. In terms of regular wrestling shows the only ones that get English commentary so far have been the Korakuen Hall shows: which they tend to run now roughly once a month but they'll skip some months. They didn't do English commentary on a couple of Korakuens earlier in the year but perhaps now the plan is to go on every one; they seem to be successful. I suspect their big show, Wrestle Princess 2, in October will also have English commentary. Commentary for that has been done by Stuart Fulton and Mark Pickering who also do NOAH (and Fulton did the last Stardom show) and who come from an MMA background and I think they are good; Chris Brookes is in the third chair as sort of your promotion expert.

They also have a twice-weekly show called "That's J-PW" which this thread is about: that show has one match on each episode and the theme is that they are all-English right down to English language promos (or at least an attempt at English language promos) from wrestlers, English commentary and also English ring announcing. Those shows are fun but also are in this weird alternative universe because they've bulk taped a lot and so like those old Disney WCW tapings no one comes out with any belts since they don't want to spoil future booking plans or have the wrong person with the wrong belt so while they are useful in terms of getting to know certain people they also aren't essential if you want to follow the stories of the promotion. Commentary for those is Brookes and Balliyan Akki from Gatoh Move; its less professional than the full shows but the two have chemistry and a more relaxed light-hearted style fits the different vibe.

Hope this helps!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In terms of characters, TJPW is a pretty easy company to get into because so many of the characters are archetypes. They have depth but they start from very identifiable templates.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks so much for those explanations! I'll dive in now, I assume it's a really easy to use site that has the TJPW shows listed in date order with options for English if they have them?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks so much for those explanations! I'll dive in now, I assume it's a really easy to use site that has the TJPW shows listed in date order with options for English if they have them?

Ish. https://www.ddtpro.com/universe/videos?teamId=tjpw has the shows listed in reverse chronological order. All the That's JPW shows have English commentary, and any of the regular shows that do will mention it in the image. Alternatively type "english" into the search box and all Wrestle Universe shows with English commentary should show up in reverse chronological order.

Simple character rundowns for everyone on the roster (go to https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/rosters/tokyo-joshi-pro-roster/ for pictures and descriptions):

Miyu Yamashita – Incredible martial artist. The coolest wrestler in the entire world. Secretly a massive dork.

Shoko Nakajima – The biggest Kaiju you ever saw. Less than 1.5 metres tall.

Yuka Sakazaki – Magical girl. Funny, cute, LOUD. Can turn dark-eyed Murder Yuka at a second's notice.

Rika Tatsumi – Serious but cheerful Joshi wrestler. Loves Tatsumi Fujinami. Has a diamond butt.

Hyper Misao – Superhero. Incredibly funny. Her superpower is spreading chaos everywhere.

Nodoka Tenma – If Rick Steiner was 145 centimetres tall he'd be Nodoka Tenma. Very strong. Likes bananas.

Marika Kobashi – One of the most traditionally Joshi-like wrestlers. Does machine-gun chops. Might be a cat.

Mizuki – Sugar rabbit. Think Riho but taller. LOUD. Master of the Whirling Candy.

Maki Itoh – Failed idol. World's Cutest wrestler. Unbelievably rude. The one you've probably heard of.

Yuki Kamifuku / Kamiyu – Tall. Wears denim. Mean Girl. Occasionally batshit crazy.

Nao Kakuta – Talented technical wrestler. Kamiyu thinks she's boring. Probably a cat.

Yuki Aino – If Scott Steiner was 153 centimetres tall he'd be Yuki Aino. Very strong. Also likes bananas.

Haruna Neko – A cat. Possibly a maid also. But definitely a cat. Tiny.

Pom Harajuku – Clown. Wears tartan. Will beat people like they're drums given half a chance.

Mahiro Kiryu – Blue Grappler. Talented but still learning. Doesn't win much

Mirai Maiumi – Great technical wrestler. Very traditional Joshi look. Could probably beat the poo poo out of you.

Suzume – Bee. Tiny and sweet. Occasionally incredibly vicious.

Sena Shiori – Space ranger. Rookie who just started winning matches. Just retired for health reasons :(

Moka Miyamoto – Talented Karateka. Dresses traditionally.

Arisu Endo – Brand new rookie. Small and purple. Probably won't win much for a while.

Miu Watanabe – Pink and athletic. Terrifyingly strong. One of the Up Up Girls.

Hikari Noa – Metal enthusiast. Deathmatch enthusiast. One of the Up Up Girls

Raku – Dresses like a yellow Strawberry Shortcake. Weird beyond my ability to express. If you ask she will tell you her Train Of The Day. One of the Up Up Girls.

Sakisama – Impossibly tall French noblewoman. Evil. Looks nothing like Saki Akai and I don't know why people keep claiming she does.

Mei Saint-Michel – Evil gremlin. French maid. Very funny. Looks nothing like Mei Suruga and I don't know why people keep claiming she does.

Sayuri Namba – Ring announcer. Astounding goofball.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

The upcoming live show (6/17) is also with English commentary, although it's not marked as such yet on the site. All the times given on the wrestle universe site should be in your local time zone.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Like everyone else mentioned, TJPW is incredibly easy to follow since their overarching stories are more like rivalries and nothing too deep. Also because of their gear/looks you can usually just describe one characteristic or the color of their gear and everyone immediately knows who you're talking about. "Who's the small steampunk girl who's deadlifting planets?" That's Nodaka Tenma, of course.

DDT is a totally different beast but sometimes even being fluent in Japanese doesn't help you understand what's going on there. They've got a good mix between weird, comedy, perverse, and some of the better guys under 30 in Japan. They like to fight outside a whole lot too. Shopping malls, campsites, elephant pins, amusement parks. Just about anywhere.

Luckily if you follow https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng he'll translate the promos, match stipulations, and history between the wrestlers in real time.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Lamuella posted:

Nodoka Tenma – If Rick Steiner was 145 centimetres tall he'd be Nodoka Tenma. Very strong. Likes bananas.

Uh excuse me, Big Dok is now officially a titanic 146.5 centimeters tall

https://twitter.com/nodoka_tjp/status/1385587986318778368

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Like everyone else mentioned, TJPW is incredibly easy to follow since their overarching stories are more like rivalries and nothing too deep. Also because of their gear/looks you can usually just describe one characteristic or the color of their gear and everyone immediately knows who you're talking about. "Who's the small steampunk girl who's deadlifting planets?" That's Nodaka Tenma, of course.

DDT is a totally different beast but sometimes even being fluent in Japanese doesn't help you understand what's going on there. They've got a good mix between weird, comedy, perverse, and some of the better guys under 30 in Japan. They like to fight outside a whole lot too. Shopping malls, campsites, elephant pins, amusement parks. Just about anywhere.

Luckily if you follow https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng he'll translate the promos, match stipulations, and history between the wrestlers in real time.

The important thing to know about DDT is that the little gremlin hitting people with a Lego baseball bat is Shunma Katsumata, and he hangs out with a faction composed of Handsome Boyfriends.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Got around to catching Neko vs. Miyu and it was another fun one. I enjoy how That's J-PW works creatively to add intrigue to matches where the outcome is a completely foregone conclusion, Neko hitting the back rake when Miyu is doing her entrance pose was a great spot to let her get the upper hand starting out.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1405344479939162114

suuuuper promising match starting now

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Noted son of a bitch Chris Brookes

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Yuka is so good at turning on the intensity when it's time to elbow someone to death. She's got that aura.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Akki wants me to call everyone to let them know about the show. They're asleep, Akki. Chris is horrified by the idea of talking to the Sugar Rabbits. Son of a bitch. Bad baby. What the gently caress.

1) Mirai Maiumi and Miu Watanabe vs Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki. Very fun tag. Mirai is such a consummate wrestler. I could watch Mizuki and Miu wrestle forever. The assisted splash from Yuka with Mizuki on her back was great. Jeez, that Miu backbreaker was amazing, and the swing on Mizuki was absolutely ridiculous in the closing stretch the only thing this match is lacking is Murder Yuka. And I think that's coming out with the vicious submission attempts, and especially in the last flurry of elbows. Wow, this tag was awesome.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I found this photo on an English DDT twitter account. Are there more of these translations? This is really great.
Twitter account says they don't have a website. I'm trying to go thru the back catalog and would love these translations for other shows.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1406305554138423299/photo/2

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005
He does live translation threads for most shows, and the recap/interview translations usually get posted the next day. I don't do twitter, so I don't know if you can search it by date to read the threads as you watch older shows.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

You can do an advanced search on twitter to find the translated comments from a specific show. Search "(from:ddtpro_eng) comments" plus the date of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Mr. Haku is truly doing god's work with his threads. Plus he was nice enough to do the English commentary for Chris Brookes' DDT Produce shoes earlier this year