Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Welp there goes my subscription! Fun to check out but with no English commentary I can't get invested in stories or characters, which sucks cos I think Joshi is super cool. I can understand why a Japanese company wouldn't want to put too much effort into English stuff but hopefully they'll take another stab at it again soon

If you're that desperate for Joshi with English commentary may I suggest ChocoPro which is at least 75%~ usually in English. And if you can get over your strongly voiced concerns about TJPW's production quality, there's at least a chance you can get over the even worse standard at Ichigaya Chocolate Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Look the solution is clear, Baliyan Akki must commentate all wrestling. FOREVER :stare:

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Look the solution is clear, Baliyan Akki must commentate all wrestling. FOREVER :stare:

"Hello everyone, Baliyan Akki here, welcoming you to a very fun night of wre..."
"SHUT UP AKKI, THE QUEEN HAS ARRIVED"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

for TJPW, I really like Brookes and Akki pairing over Fulton and Pickering. But mostly because they intuitively understand that cute and violent are not mutually exclusive

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

coconono posted:

for TJPW, I really like Brookes and Akki pairing over Fulton and Pickering. But mostly because they intuitively understand that cute and violent are not mutually exclusive

I think I've come around to Chris Brookes being my second favorite current commentator, just over Taz. You can tell he cares a lot about the shows and people he works with.

Akki is still a little green, but his attitude is rad, him with Chrissy B is great stuff and I hope they keep giving them the ball and that this isn't it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Akki's genuine excitement for cool stuff is wonderful, he really helps make up for the lack of crowds or, at CyberFest, the crowd that is forbidden from shouting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp this is it, the last That's JPW :smith:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Welp this is it, the last That's JPW :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris Brookes: She's probably going to lose.

Goddamn, no chill at all :lol:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Chrissy B still loving follows his leader.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Demanding the no-crowd sing along

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maki getting pissed off at her opponent daring to put up a fight

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's been an honor posting with all of you. We did it. We finally found out what's J-PW

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Turns out it was the Neo Itoh Respect Army all along!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That's JPWThoughts

Itoh-chan cuts a hell of a promo in English. Let's loving go everybody.

1) Maki Itoh vs Moka Miyamoto. Awesome full performance Itoh here. Just so much energy. I sang the woh woh. Delightful grappling from these two, as Itoh has to up her technical game to keep up with Moka. AWESOME strikes from Moka here. Itoh is having to get really wild to get an upper hand. Chris Brookes is horrible to his core. THe combination of really good in ring action and the unbelievably enthusiastic commentary make this a really great match.

I really enjoyed this. I'm really going to miss That's JPW. Friends, it's been an honour.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:rip: That's JPW, you were a beautiful, weird and delightful thing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:negative: clap for namba

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Mr Akki, I don't feel so good...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SG Bamboo posted:

Mr Akki, I feel unwe....ah, sorry I messed my line up
Fixed for a more accurate Namba quote.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Its one of those things that's a shame but I think entirely foreseeable. The DDT group have a habit of trying these short term experiments that end even when they appear to be successful - Maji Manji a few years ago is an example of that. With this one the complication is moving away from empty arena wrestling I think: I wonder if when proper crowds return whether the appeal of the show as it currently is would be retained especially since its a run of matches with no stakes since, in true WCW Worldwide at Disney fashion, they bulk taped in April and therefore no one has any belts or references any storylines to avoid being caught out. You could do the same thing with fans but then you have an issue with keeping people happy for 25 undercard TJPW matches followed by one assumes a main event to give them something bigger and if you don't do that then its not as cost effective and also a different format. The thing on this is to work out when the appeal of 'TJPW in ENGLISH' fades as it becomes for normalised and them doing every major show in English, as it seems is their plan from here on, is I think more important for growing their international audience then a run of shows that have undercard-level matches on them - not a slight since TJPW undercard matches are fun but also there's a reason why every show isn't just a load of fun undercard matches.

Perhaps an alternative format would be to take one of your Itabashi shows in a month and make it ALL ENGLISH with Brookes and Akki being there but that would be different - even just incorporating wider storylines plus the whole 20 minute bitesized chunks thing would be gone. Also if you aren't going Japanese commentary on those shows then you might not think investing in English is a very good option.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Takagi is absolutely the last person I'd ever accuse of having no foresight. I was a huge fan of DDT at the time TJPW started and I thought it was just a weird experiment he'd do that lasted a couple months. Just some mostly untrained women wrestling on crash mats in front of about 30 fans in a cramped room. Takagi has shown time and time again he's willing to try new things and I think English commentary or the That's JPW format is going to stick.

This is the same man who saw a youtube clip of Kenny Omega trying to get a match against Kota Ibushi and decided to sponsor him long term. The same guy who more or less gave Onita his like, thirteenth chance until it finally stuck, the guy who saw the heart in a comedian like Maki Itoh from an independent idol group and stuck with her until she became an international phenomenon.

DDT and Takagi aren't exactly independent anymore, but they've been trying to make Puro/Joshi more accessible world-wide while still keeping the heart of the company there.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 1, 2021

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Yeah knowing DDT this is less of an experiment and more of a prelude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Honestly even when crowds come back I think there's a lot of value inherent in a TV format where you can produce 12 weeks of content in a long weekend for the cost of a training space and some people's time.

If they were going to do more, the two changes I would make would be:

1) block record monthly instead of tri-monthly so that storylines could be acknowledged or followed

2) put the matches on YouTube as an ad for Wrestle Universe

I realise TJPW already puts a bunch of matches on Youtube for free after they air, but if the point is to attract an English language audience, making it widely available as a loss leader would be smart.