Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Jerusalem posted:

Kamiyu's English kinda sounds Australian!

Trying to work out if this is insulting Australia by comparing them to Ohio; or insulting Ohio by comparing them to Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Considering the taboo in Japan around tattoos that still exists: its probably for the best that sort of thing is temporary.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

so for the DDT the answer is simple: they haven't yet done any English commentary for a stand-alone DDT show. The Cyberfight Festival show (which was a joint show between the four Cyberfight-owned promotions: DDT, NOAH, TJPW and Ganbare) had English commentary on everything including the DDT matches but that has been it so far - I suspect the long term plan is that everything gets it for all of the significant shows but who knows.

For TJPW its a bit more complicated. In terms of regular wrestling shows the only ones that get English commentary so far have been the Korakuen Hall shows: which they tend to run now roughly once a month but they'll skip some months. They didn't do English commentary on a couple of Korakuens earlier in the year but perhaps now the plan is to go on every one; they seem to be successful. I suspect their big show, Wrestle Princess 2, in October will also have English commentary. Commentary for that has been done by Stuart Fulton and Mark Pickering who also do NOAH (and Fulton did the last Stardom show) and who come from an MMA background and I think they are good; Chris Brookes is in the third chair as sort of your promotion expert.

They also have a twice-weekly show called "That's J-PW" which this thread is about: that show has one match on each episode and the theme is that they are all-English right down to English language promos (or at least an attempt at English language promos) from wrestlers, English commentary and also English ring announcing. Those shows are fun but also are in this weird alternative universe because they've bulk taped a lot and so like those old Disney WCW tapings no one comes out with any belts since they don't want to spoil future booking plans or have the wrong person with the wrong belt so while they are useful in terms of getting to know certain people they also aren't essential if you want to follow the stories of the promotion. Commentary for those is Brookes and Balliyan Akki from Gatoh Move; its less professional than the full shows but the two have chemistry and a more relaxed light-hearted style fits the different vibe.

Hope this helps!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Its one of those things that's a shame but I think entirely foreseeable. The DDT group have a habit of trying these short term experiments that end even when they appear to be successful - Maji Manji a few years ago is an example of that. With this one the complication is moving away from empty arena wrestling I think: I wonder if when proper crowds return whether the appeal of the show as it currently is would be retained especially since its a run of matches with no stakes since, in true WCW Worldwide at Disney fashion, they bulk taped in April and therefore no one has any belts or references any storylines to avoid being caught out. You could do the same thing with fans but then you have an issue with keeping people happy for 25 undercard TJPW matches followed by one assumes a main event to give them something bigger and if you don't do that then its not as cost effective and also a different format. The thing on this is to work out when the appeal of 'TJPW in ENGLISH' fades as it becomes for normalised and them doing every major show in English, as it seems is their plan from here on, is I think more important for growing their international audience then a run of shows that have undercard-level matches on them - not a slight since TJPW undercard matches are fun but also there's a reason why every show isn't just a load of fun undercard matches.

Perhaps an alternative format would be to take one of your Itabashi shows in a month and make it ALL ENGLISH with Brookes and Akki being there but that would be different - even just incorporating wider storylines plus the whole 20 minute bitesized chunks thing would be gone. Also if you aren't going Japanese commentary on those shows then you might not think investing in English is a very good option.