Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That's JPWThoughts

Insane music to start, I love it. Very much enjoy Akki and Brookes as hosts. Noa and Shiori have fun confident energy. Miu and Mirai talk poo poo in a fun way. It's all a bit scruffy and has Saturday morning TV energy but I'm cool with it.

1) Miu Watanabe and Mirai Maiumi vs Hikari Noa and Sena Shiori. We get the L O V E! Betrayal from Space Rangers at the start. People feel not quite on their rhythm in the opening moments, but they warm up quickly. Mirai is having so much fun thumping the hell out of Shiori. And then Miu just Knightfalls her. They're setting up the speed vs strength thing very well. Jesus, Noa has dropkicks for days. And now we get Up Up Girl on Up Up Girl violence and a HELL of a giant swing. Strong Miu hits the teardrop on Shiori for the pin. Really good fun.

This was great. Cute, short concept, bitesize wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Big same, just subbed to Wrestle Universe, and between this and the Chris Brookes Produce shows I'm super glad they've made it more accessible to us fools.

You'll also occasionally get English commentary shows, more usually Noah than TJPW or DDT but the new year TJPW show had full English commentary.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Are these new matches or just new matches to those new to TJPW?

New matches recorded especially for the show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In TJPW English content news, the May 4 show will have English commentary. https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1382204733226586120?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In favour of anything that gives Akki a bigger role.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWThoughts

Me: Well, that AEW main event was insane, but what I'd really like to see is an insane idol singer just leather the gently caress out of a clown.

Universe: I gotchu covered son.

Spoopy ring music to start again. Absolutely fine with that. Brookes and Akki back to hype us up. Pom is a nutter. Itoh-chan is going to murder her. "Pom Harajuku. She's.... bitch!"

1) Pom Harajuku vs Maki Itoh. Nice to have a superbly biased commentator in Brookes :). Fun start to this. Love the Pom drum spot. Love the Itoh playfulness with her offense. This is pretty good, but I think Pom still needs to season a bit more before she's great. We got the expected result, and that's fine. Decent match.

As always a delightful bitesize show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

DDThoughts

TJPWThoughts

That is, in fact, JPW. Complete with circus opening. Pink vs Blue. Mahiro is one of the wrestlers I'm less familiar with.

1) Miyu Yamashita vs Mahiro Kiryu. Commentary on this show is so much fun. God, Miyu is just the coolest. Strong start from Mahiro, met by strong defense from Miyu. I really enjoyed Mahiro fighting out of a submission with strikes. Very aggressive and athletic match. God, that jumping corner kick from Miyu followed by the murderous spinning heel kick, such a beautiful sequence.

A short match, but really beautifully performed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Overall I think this managed to make Miyu look powerful without making Mahiro look weak. She wasn't weak, she just got hit by something unbeatable, and she fought like a lion before that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If things open up enough to bring AEW people to TJPW and TJPW people to AEW, let me just pitch something to you:

Miyu Yamashita vs Tay Conti.

Now that I have your attention, I think it would be fun to send three AEW women who could benefit from the experience to TJPW and bring three TJPW women who could benefit from the exposure to AEW

Proposal for going to TJPW:

1. Red Velvet
2. KiLynn King
3. Big Swole

They already function as a unit, and I want to see KiLynn throw around bees and clowns.

Proposal for coming to AEW:

1. Miyu Yamashita
2. Yuki Kamifuku
3. Hikari Noa

Mostly just because they're awesome and the world needs to see them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Counterpoint: The Dark Order meets NEO Biishiki-gun

Sakisama tries to boss them around, leading to the return of Anna Jay who wants to know what this French woman thinks she's doing with her human playthings.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

TJPWThoughts

Eso es JPW. Hi Chris and Baliyan! Neko standing next to Brookes is the best, because a second Neko sitting on her shoulders would only just be as tall as him. Kamiyu prefers dogs to kitties, so she;s going to beat Neko up and bring a dog in instead OK, cool.

1) Kamiyu vs Haruna Neko. Early kitty offense. Lots of kicks and scratches and shoulder barges. Kamiyu's legs are so long that she can reach the TOP rope. Absurd. Kamiyu into some really confident bullying. Neko doesn't have much choice but to fight from underneath, but she hits some pretty impressive stuff. Kamiyu basically just steps on her head when they're both standing and it looks great. Top rope dropkick, but not the kind you're thinking of, leading to Kamiyu winning, Dominant performance, but Neko looked very good here.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Oh Chris

https://twitter.com/OBEYBrookes/status/1385136909710626816?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Deleted now but here's what it said.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Bakuretsu Sisters vs Nao and Marika tonight

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1386140480891539457?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWThoughts

Out first Tag match! I love Chris's Tall Weirdo energy. Did Marika always have that chest piece tattoo? Bakuretsu Sisters are fun as hell.

1) Bakuretsus Sisters vs Marika Kobashi and Nao Kakuta. One time Chris kicked a Bakuretsu Sister. Bakuretsus Sisters still have one of the best TJPW themes. Lovely chain wrestling from Aino and Nao at the start. Aino shoulder blocks are great. And then Tenma starts some well executed bullying of Nao. Marika has been frozen out so far. A couple of clumsy spots with Marika and Tenma, but they get back on track. Nao has a mean streak, and it's fun to see it come out. Lovely Tiny Steiners electric chair bulldog on Marika. Strong victory for the strong girls.

I feel like the That's JPW matches, which started out as pretty good, are getting even better as time goes on. Hope to see more tag matches and unusual matchups as we go on.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Johnny Landmine posted:

Good writeup but the debut episode was also a tag match (Mirai and Miu vs. Sena and Hikari)

poo poo, you're right. You can't expect me to remember all those episodes ago.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

TJPW try to make it up to us about the May 1 show being audience-free by streaming it live on Wrestle Universe.

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1387075205785296899

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Johnny Landmine posted:

Does the Ice Ribbon dojo even have enough room for the Magical Magical Girl Splash

Yuka has even hit the Magical Girl Chicken Dude in here before.

Anyway:

That's JPWThoughts

The Lads back to into a new show. Big exciting match with kaijus and magical girls and rabbits and human trains. Shoko is so excited! Raku is really into those trains. Loads of poo poo talking here. And then the noise comes in. These two are simultaneously adorable and so LOUD.

1) Shoko Nakajima and Raku vs Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki. Explosive entrances from everyone. Yuka mugging for the camera was lovely. VOLUME! This is a loud match and lots of chaotic fun. And we get the Good Night Express! The silliest move in a silly promotion! YUKA BITEY BITEY! This is such amazing nonsense. Raku is... more fun than super skilled. But she''s very fun, and getting better. And Shoko is so, so good. Just a lightning bolt of great enthusiastic moves. Mizuki does the bridge out of a pin which always looks great. Yuka on the attack and I remember how much I enjoy Yuka vs Shoko singles matches. And finally a magical girl splash on Raku puts her away.

This was a really good little match. I love this little show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Really enjoyed the match but absolutely loved the pre-match promo, and Brookes and Akki standing there like bemused teachers trying to make sense of what they've just been told by some foulmouthed Joshi :allears:

It's most lovely because if they wanted to I'm sure they could do something like coaching the joshi on doing promos in English, but at some point they worked out that it's much more real and much more funny if they have no idea what Yuka is going to say when she comes on and calls her opponents "bullshit"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Miyu Yamashita and Moka Miyamoto vs Rika Tatsumi and Suzume. Agreed with Akki about Moka's ring gear, she stood out from the first time I saw her. Brookes just talking all kinds of poo poo on Mei Suruga who isn't even there was great. And then we get the match. Miyu and Suzume are incredibly fast in the start, lots of strikes but just as many dodges. Very even match to start. I like the sadistic streak Suzume is showing here. Moka is doing a great job selling for her too. Moka does a good range of peril spots and builds up steam for Miyu to come in with a brutal fightback. Some very nice fakeouts with Miyu and Rika, and we get a preview of what we can expect from Rika vs Miyu. The ring apron dropkick was brutal Overall this is undeniably a scruffy match, but there is so much going on and so much skill being shown by everyone involved that I forgive the rough edges. In the end, Rika gets the pin but crucially not on Miyu.

--

Regarding the Suzume discussion, I would like to see her spread her wings a little further, no pun intended, but I also stand by a joke I made on Twitter a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/theangelremiel/status/1388015634374701057

"Bee" is such a great immediate characterisation for Suzume. She is little and cute but also unexpectedly vicious. As she grows in the ring I do think she needs to grow in character, and I we're starting to see that in things the BeeStar team.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I normally do a short review, but I was enjoying this too much to take notes. God, I loving love Hyper Misao.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I like that Chris Brookes is doing the production for That's JPW as well as the commentator / host stuff. He's got a knack for the production side and I'd love to see him develop it (and provide more Wrestle Universe english content)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yuki Kamifuku vs Pom Harajuku. Akki has a thing for Kamiyu. A very focused chain wrestling start to the match. Loved the double blocking of shin kicks and eye pokes. Kamiyu has the advantage from the start, as expected, but Pom is more competitive than might be expected. The shin/eye sequence was great, but the double jumping shin kicks spot was slightly whiffed. Lovely body slam from Pom. Ultimately Kamiyu won, as expected, but Pom was better than we've seen her before.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Baliyan giving a shout out to people watching on a friend's account was good. Marika Kobashi talking poo poo on Nakajima is great. Shoko speaks English AND Spanish. She is going to murder Kobashi. Let's make this as violent as Kobashi vs Nakajima sounds like it should be.

1) Marika Kobashi vs Shoko Nakajima. The blue light glowing orange gear entrance from Marika is great. This is quick and dynamic and fun. Nakajima us such a wild ball of energy. Marika is confident and has some lovely strikes. Marika's greater size gives her leverage and she's using that well, but it's very touch to count Shoko out. Very entertaining, very hard fought victory for Shoko, and a great performance from her opponent.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

I like Mahiro's low key energy. Okay! Let's loving go!

1) Mahiro Kiryu vs Maki Itoh. This is a really nice hard hitting match. Kiryu's power and reach is really well played, and matched by Itoh's weirdness and wildness, it makes for a very fun in ring dynamic. Itoh is finally getting the ring chops to match her character, and Kiryu feels like she's ready for a step up. This is longer than I thought it was going to be, and a lot more evenly matched. Kiryu is starting to show a real savagery that was lacking early in the match. Itoh wins but Kiryu looked very good here. Very fun match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Akki/Brookes are the only true rivals to Excalibur and Taz for the title of Most Chaotic Commentary Energy

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Neko next to Chris Brookes is amazing. She's so tiny. Noa is going to murder her with yakitori skewers.

1) Hikari Noa vs Haruna Neko. Noa is such a badass. Neko hiding from Noa is great. Noa just beating up the ring personnel is fantastic, as was Neko using them as weapons. The start of this match is the best form of chaotic, and things flow easily into a dominant performance from Noa, although Neko is holding up her end of things just as well. Wow, CLOSE two count from Neko. Noa won, but this was bruising. Fun episode.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

She's actually very tall for a cat.

This is true, I have a cat who is at most half as tall as Neko.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Chrissy B and Akki welcome us in to nonsense. Nao and Misao correctly point out that the Sugar Rabbits are noisy and evil. Nao and Misao disappear into the floor and Mizuki and Yuka jump out of the floor and are noisy and evil. Chris genuinely corpsing when Yuka jumped back in was awesome.

1) Nao Kakuta and Hyper Misao vs Magical Sugar Rabbits. Yuka falls over on the stairs and we've lost Sensible Chris for the night. This is crazy, as expected. Bodies flying all over the place, Misao being sneaky, Mizuki being loud. People underestimate how sneaky the Sugar Rabbits are. This was a lot of fun.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It would be a very good "taster" show. Maybe not free and immediate, but drop one match on their youtube a week on a delay.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Today's That's JPW was really good BTW. Miu strong.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

The Lads are back again. For the rest of our lives. We set up a karate vs judo rivalry. Miyu is the loving coolest.

1) Pink Karate vs BeeStar. The start to BeeStar's music is so dramatic. Miyu is, as I said, the loving coolest. Suzume does a great job of being in trouble. She is faster than Miyu, but she can't outwrestle or outstrike her. Mirai is a really good solid all rounder. And nobody can kick like Miyu. Akki is right that a Mirai / Miyu match would own bones. This is a low key awesome little match. The counter to Suzume's cross body where Miyu just runs in and snatches her out of the air was great. And then an excellent and unexpected finish. Lovely match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Chrissy B and Akki back once again. Pom both is and has a big fan. Camera pulls out so a Tiny Steiner can fit on the screen.

1) Pom Harajuku vs Yuki Aino. Pom does not want to give up her fans, she is cheerleading for Aino. This match is amazing. If Pom makes it to the end of this match still using the fans this is nine stars. Oops, thrust kick from Aino and the fans are gone. After the initial glorious silliness this becomes super hard hitting. Aino is a powerhouse, Pom is an increasingly great striker. This was really good.

I love this little wrestling show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Misao vs Raku is taking place under special rules that Hyper Misao will announce tomorrow

https://twitter.com/misao_tjp/status/1402628975067680768

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Raku checking her phone mid sentence was adorable. No word on the train of the day.

1) Raku vs Hyper Misao. Rules for this match: Raku's pins only count after the Goodnight Express. Sneaky Raku keeps moving to avoid the move, Misao does a train impression. Nine stars. The rope full Nelson is a great horrible move. The best Misao matches are the ones where she meticulously constructs a petard and then immediately gets hoist by it. Here she fights through for a very silly victory. Very good fun, Hyper Misao you are terrible.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This was a hell of a performance from Neko. While she was clearly the huge undercat in this match she really brought it to Miyu and had some great inventive spots. That's JPW is doing a great job at giving time in singles to people who had previously been hidden in tags.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In terms of characters, TJPW is a pretty easy company to get into because so many of the characters are archetypes. They have depth but they start from very identifiable templates.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks so much for those explanations! I'll dive in now, I assume it's a really easy to use site that has the TJPW shows listed in date order with options for English if they have them?

Ish. https://www.ddtpro.com/universe/videos?teamId=tjpw has the shows listed in reverse chronological order. All the That's JPW shows have English commentary, and any of the regular shows that do will mention it in the image. Alternatively type "english" into the search box and all Wrestle Universe shows with English commentary should show up in reverse chronological order.

Simple character rundowns for everyone on the roster (go to https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/rosters/tokyo-joshi-pro-roster/ for pictures and descriptions):

Miyu Yamashita – Incredible martial artist. The coolest wrestler in the entire world. Secretly a massive dork.

Shoko Nakajima – The biggest Kaiju you ever saw. Less than 1.5 metres tall.

Yuka Sakazaki – Magical girl. Funny, cute, LOUD. Can turn dark-eyed Murder Yuka at a second's notice.

Rika Tatsumi – Serious but cheerful Joshi wrestler. Loves Tatsumi Fujinami. Has a diamond butt.

Hyper Misao – Superhero. Incredibly funny. Her superpower is spreading chaos everywhere.

Nodoka Tenma – If Rick Steiner was 145 centimetres tall he'd be Nodoka Tenma. Very strong. Likes bananas.

Marika Kobashi – One of the most traditionally Joshi-like wrestlers. Does machine-gun chops. Might be a cat.

Mizuki – Sugar rabbit. Think Riho but taller. LOUD. Master of the Whirling Candy.

Maki Itoh – Failed idol. World's Cutest wrestler. Unbelievably rude. The one you've probably heard of.

Yuki Kamifuku / Kamiyu – Tall. Wears denim. Mean Girl. Occasionally batshit crazy.

Nao Kakuta – Talented technical wrestler. Kamiyu thinks she's boring. Probably a cat.

Yuki Aino – If Scott Steiner was 153 centimetres tall he'd be Yuki Aino. Very strong. Also likes bananas.

Haruna Neko – A cat. Possibly a maid also. But definitely a cat. Tiny.

Pom Harajuku – Clown. Wears tartan. Will beat people like they're drums given half a chance.

Mahiro Kiryu – Blue Grappler. Talented but still learning. Doesn't win much

Mirai Maiumi – Great technical wrestler. Very traditional Joshi look. Could probably beat the poo poo out of you.

Suzume – Bee. Tiny and sweet. Occasionally incredibly vicious.

Sena Shiori – Space ranger. Rookie who just started winning matches. Just retired for health reasons :(

Moka Miyamoto – Talented Karateka. Dresses traditionally.

Arisu Endo – Brand new rookie. Small and purple. Probably won't win much for a while.

Miu Watanabe – Pink and athletic. Terrifyingly strong. One of the Up Up Girls.

Hikari Noa – Metal enthusiast. Deathmatch enthusiast. One of the Up Up Girls

Raku – Dresses like a yellow Strawberry Shortcake. Weird beyond my ability to express. If you ask she will tell you her Train Of The Day. One of the Up Up Girls.

Sakisama – Impossibly tall French noblewoman. Evil. Looks nothing like Saki Akai and I don't know why people keep claiming she does.

Mei Saint-Michel – Evil gremlin. French maid. Very funny. Looks nothing like Mei Suruga and I don't know why people keep claiming she does.

Sayuri Namba – Ring announcer. Astounding goofball.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Like everyone else mentioned, TJPW is incredibly easy to follow since their overarching stories are more like rivalries and nothing too deep. Also because of their gear/looks you can usually just describe one characteristic or the color of their gear and everyone immediately knows who you're talking about. "Who's the small steampunk girl who's deadlifting planets?" That's Nodaka Tenma, of course.

DDT is a totally different beast but sometimes even being fluent in Japanese doesn't help you understand what's going on there. They've got a good mix between weird, comedy, perverse, and some of the better guys under 30 in Japan. They like to fight outside a whole lot too. Shopping malls, campsites, elephant pins, amusement parks. Just about anywhere.

Luckily if you follow https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng he'll translate the promos, match stipulations, and history between the wrestlers in real time.

The important thing to know about DDT is that the little gremlin hitting people with a Lego baseball bat is Shunma Katsumata, and he hangs out with a faction composed of Handsome Boyfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's JPWthoughts

Akki wants me to call everyone to let them know about the show. They're asleep, Akki. Chris is horrified by the idea of talking to the Sugar Rabbits. Son of a bitch. Bad baby. What the gently caress.

1) Mirai Maiumi and Miu Watanabe vs Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki. Very fun tag. Mirai is such a consummate wrestler. I could watch Mizuki and Miu wrestle forever. The assisted splash from Yuka with Mizuki on her back was great. Jeez, that Miu backbreaker was amazing, and the swing on Mizuki was absolutely ridiculous in the closing stretch the only thing this match is lacking is Murder Yuka. And I think that's coming out with the vicious submission attempts, and especially in the last flurry of elbows. Wow, this tag was awesome.