Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Transported to a Medieval Stabbing Simulator: An Isekai Crusader Kings 3 LP
(I Thought I had Lost the Ability to Feel Human, But Then I Got My Medieval Harem: An Isekai Crusader Kings Let's Play was too long a title for Something Awful)

Current Update: Update #3: I’ve Got a Beautiful Family With My Dashing Spanish Husband and Now I’m the Head of a Mighty and Invincible Dynasty! (1069-1083AD)

Oh god.
It's too late. It's happening.

Ok, what the gently caress is an Isekai?
Isekai is a Japanese word meaning "other world", but more broadly it refers to a particular genre popular in Japanese nerddom that features a protagonist who is transported to another world, usually through magical summoning or reincarnation.

That doesn't sound too bad, to be honest. What's the catch?
Isekai is, by and large, pure naked power fantasy. I'll summarize your standard Isekai story.

Standard Isekai Plot posted:

1. Average Joe Schmoe High Schooler gets hit by a truck.
2. Joe Schmoe gets reincarnated into fantasy world (usually following literal JRPG mechanics).
3. Joe Schmoe discovers he has awesome magical powers that allow him to trump all opposition.
4. Joe Schmoe gets harem of attractive young women, appealing to a diverse range of fetishes.
5. Joe Schmoe goes on to defeat the demon king or something and becomes incredibly powerful and famous.
There may be variations on this theme, but they all mostly go like this. They are incredibly rote and they are insanely profitable for Japanese publishers. Regardless of their repetitive content, people just can't seem to get enough of them.

Can you give me some examples of this wretched genre?
Sure.

In Another World with My Smartphone

I Was Naked When I Reached the Other World

(I've Already Saved This World and Taken Its Wealth and Power and I Live Happily in a Castle With a Female Knight and Demon Queen, So to All Other Heroes) Stay Out of This Fantasy World

Ok, if Isekai is so bad, why are you making one for Crusader Kings?
This all started out as a joke in Discord, but I slowly came around to the idea of doing it for real. Isekai is something of a cursed term in the anime community, and can set off a fight-or-flight response, due to anime being overtaken with a veritable flood in Isekai light novel adaptations in the last few years. I went ahead and made a mod for it and by the time I regretted it I had succumbed to the sunk cost fallacy and it was too late. So here we are.

So how is this LP going to work?
We're going to take some Japanese schmuck and plop them down into the medieval politics/dynasty/intrigue/warfare/incest simulator known as Crusader Kings 3. They won't be completely helpless though, thanks to a special trait I've added:

What could possibly go wrong with giving a random Joe power beyond all men?

Will you doing anything else?
As a matter of fact, yes. Since I am apparently a masochist, I will be reviewing several Isekai anime, or at least attempt to get through them until I jokerfy.

Also, it's obviously fine to discuss Isekai anime in this thread, but don't get creepy.

God help you.
He will not, for this is His punishment upon me.

Table of Contents:

Let's Play Crusader Kings!
1. I Was Exhausted After Working at a Black Company and Was Hit by a Truck, But I Got Sent to the Celestial Bureaucracy and the Agent There Says I'm Going to Be Reincarnated Into a Medieval World With Lots of Hot Men and Women!
1.5. Mechanics Update: The Character Screen
2. I've Been Sent to Another World and Now I'm Married to a Sexy Spanish Hero! I'll Conquer the Entire Island! All My Enemies Shall Tremble Before Me!
2.5 Mechanics Update: How to Pick a Fight
3. I’ve Got a Beautiful Family With My Dashing Spanish Husband and Now I’m the Head of a Mighty and Invincible Dynasty! (1069-1083AD)

Isekai Review
1. Middle Aged Businessman, Arise in Another World!
2. In Another World With my Smartphone

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Before we get started, we're going to have a little vote:

1. What is our gender?
2. What is our sexuality?

Voting ends in 48 hours.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 12, 2021

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

1. What is our gender?

1. Yes
2. YES

EDIT: to be more useful.

1. it's an isekai it's a weird male wish fulfilment
2. voting gay because it may as well be MY weird male wish fulfilment

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

1. What is our gender?

Ground zero let's gooo

And I vote for being a lesbian

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Ah gently caress I can't believe you've done this

But seriously - interested to see where this goes.

1) Gender can be whatever, but
2) make them bisexual

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 12, 2021

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Well, to heck with it, I want to see this happen.

1. Female, power fantasies are universal after all.
2. Echoing the bisexual vote.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Oh, I can't wait to see this.

Echoing this vote:

BraveLittleToaster posted:

1. Female
2. bisexual

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Guy, bi. Why not?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

1. What is our gender?

Voting ends in 48 hours.

1. indifferent
2. As tempted as I am to advocate for more ace Isekai protagonists, that feels fundamentally unsuited to the genre. Bi, then.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Girl, Bi.

This is going to be amazing.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
This should be... fascinating. Especially considering that games of Crusader Kings are typically multigenerational affairs, but we'll see how things go.

Echoing the already popular cry of bisexual girl because it feels right and also theoretically isekai protagonists are supposed to face obstacles to cleverly circumvent.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Not sure if it's allowed, but if I can throw a bit in: Bisexual, Female, Celibate, Chaste, Albino, Beautiful.

The most beautiful albino who will never, ever, EVER have sex.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jadecore posted:

This should be... fascinating. Especially considering that games of Crusader Kings are typically multigenerational affairs, but we'll see how things go.

Echoing the already popular cry of bisexual girl because it feels right and also theoretically isekai protagonists are supposed to face obstacles to cleverly circumvent.

Well, our Isekai has already reincarnated once, what's a few more times until they save the universe?

Whatever on gender, bi

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
But people in CK3 already know about crop rotation, what amazing knowledge is our player supposed to bring to the table??

Most isekai protags are bisexual males, so I'd like to see an asexual female character, for variety.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

scaterry posted:

But people in CK3 already know about crop rotation, what amazing knowledge is our player supposed to bring to the table??

Most isekai protags are bisexual males, so I'd like to see an asexual female character, for variety.

Are they really? I was under the impression that modern isekai was extremely het.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
1) Non-Binary
2) Pansexual

Let's get the max number of events and wild rides going!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Quackles posted:

Girl, Bi.

Voting this

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Leraika posted:

Are they really? I was under the impression that modern isekai was extremely het.

My initial impression was that they would gently caress anything that moves, so I'll defer to other people on this.

I'll change my vote to being a lesbian. Liberate the world from male domination, seduce some princesses on the way

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

scaterry posted:

A gun.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Male, bi

Isekais are wish fulfilment for nerd boys. Of course the main character is a dude.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Bi and male.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I'd offer some concerns, but-

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

God help you.
He will not, for this is His punishment upon me.
-you already know what you're getting into, Mr.Morgenstern.
Best of luck (and my condolences) to ya all the same.

Quackles posted:

Girl, Bi.

Votin for this.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Kayten posted:

Bi and male.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Guy, straight would probably be the truest to the isekai standard, but I'll vote Guy, bi to keep the door open to more romantic options and build the largest harem.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

1. Girl
2. yes

this is going to be wonderfully cursed, thank you for following through with this :allears:

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Oh, sweet christ, why?

And why am I joining in?

1: Guy.

2: Bi.

e: Edited to reflect the notable and pertinent information below. vvv

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 12, 2021

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I should have mentioned that we are going with CK3's definitions of sexuality, which are Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, and Asexual, since it is a literal part of a game character.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I'm gonna vote

1: Guy
2: Bisexual

Because if there's one thing Isekai's do, it's rip off every other successful Isekai that came before them, and have some bland blob of a man who somehow becomes central to everything.

For maximum cringe inducing pain, why not add in a female courtier who is some kind of demon-goddess who only loves the protagonist?

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Girl
Lesbian

yuri isekai is rare, and we need monstergirls

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Girl
Bi

Kill Six Billion Crusaders.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Girl
Bi

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Extremely troubling that I'm finally gonna learn about isekai

1. Girl
2. Bi

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
1. Girl
2. Bisexual

I feel like a guy would be a bit boring

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

1. Actually a Housecat reincarnated by mistake
2. Horney for Doggos.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

chktshadeclaw posted:

I feel like a guy would be a bit boring

I posit this is part of why the isekai genre has, uh, mixed public opinion lately.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Hopefully OP doesn't have to add a 'don't be a creep' rule to this crusader kings lp

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Girl
Lesbian
and even though it wasn't mentioned, let's make this really difficult, Shinto if possible otherwise Buddhist.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
:bisonyes:

I've been hoping for a CK3 LP, but what I got was something much, much worse. :allears:

1. Girl
2. Bisexual

And then create a Female-Dominated/Equal polygamous heresy ASAP so that she can earn her rightful harem.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Girl/Lesbian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Heterosexual Male.