Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TLM3101 posted:

Didn't someone make a manga called "Isekai transporter" about the guy who drives that truck and his challenges to get the right person Isekai'ed on time and in the proper manner?

Yes, they did. It's a dark comedy, given that it counts as murderizing them in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Genghis Khan is gonna get replaced by Truck-kun isn't he? That or another Isekai protag from another setting

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Are you sure he wasn't an isekai protag in our setting?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I am almost looking forward to the isekai reviews/disembowelments as I am to the game itself (while growling at Paradox to please put it on sale sometime soon). Being mostly unfamiliar with the genre except for what I've heard at second hand, my first thought was that there is potentially fun and rich storytelling to be had in the whole learn-new-skills-to-survive-in-another-world aspect, from languages to social rules to wilderness survival.

This was followed by a sinking realization that, apparently, a whole lot of isekai are just plain uninterested in such things, preferring instead to focus on harems. :argh:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

bibliosabreur posted:

I am almost looking forward to the isekai reviews/disembowelments as I am to the game itself (while growling at Paradox to please put it on sale sometime soon). Being mostly unfamiliar with the genre except for what I've heard at second hand, my first thought was that there is potentially fun and rich storytelling to be had in the whole learn-new-skills-to-survive-in-another-world aspect, from languages to social rules to wilderness survival.

This was followed by a sinking realization that, apparently, a whole lot of isekai are just plain uninterested in such things, preferring instead to focus on harems. :argh:

Don't forget the slavery

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bibliosabreur posted:

Take the story "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" or "Army of Darkness" but give it an anime twist. That's basically Isekai stories for the most part.

It's the current trend for Japanese light novels right now so there's a fuckton of them that are being churned out with the level of quality one would expect from publishers making cheap cash grabs that target Japanese 13yos.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

TLM3101 posted:

Didn't someone make a manga called "Isekai transporter" about the guy who drives that truck and his challenges to get the right person Isekai'ed on time and in the proper manner?

I know there was one where the schlubby everyman loser protagonist was being constantly protected from vehicular manslaughter by the demonic minion of a Dark Lord, in order to counter the magical princess of Fantasyland trying to drive a truck into him on purpose to kill/reincarnate him into a Hero to aid her kingdom

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xelkelvos posted:

Genghis Khan is gonna get replaced by Truck-kun isn't he?

That's Truck-khan to you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Asterite34 posted:

I know there was one where the schlubby everyman loser protagonist was being constantly protected from vehicular manslaughter by the demonic minion of a Dark Lord, in order to counter the magical princess of Fantasyland trying to drive a truck into him on purpose to kill/reincarnate him into a Hero to aid her kingdom

drat that's amazing. :allears:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You pretty oversell the +19 as "Does not think highly" of his liege.

If it's positive, they think at least somewhat highly of their liege. If it was, his spouse, and he had +19 and you tried to seduce him, you'd see a huge penalty that says "Loves his spouse".

Essentially, if it's positive at all, then they like the person, at least a little bit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

You pretty oversell the +19 as "Does not think highly" of his liege.

If it's positive, they think at least somewhat highly of their liege. If it was, his spouse, and he had +19 and you tried to seduce him, you'd see a huge penalty that says "Loves his spouse".

Essentially, if it's positive at all, then they like the person, at least a little bit.

Yeah, If it's anything like normal CK2, 0 is basically neutral and it ranges from -100 to 100 and the implications therein. Gameplaywise, 19 can feel like a liege doesn't like you all that much, but it's relative to all of the other people around that would be higher and also because it's easy to get to at least neutral from one or two bad things.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, he's like, a small argument or a stroke of tyranny from changing his mind, sure, but on the whole, he quite likes his liege.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bibliosabreur posted:

Yeah, but sometimes you get gems with premises like 'transported into a skyrim knockoff with all the exploits and bugs intact'.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/kono-sekai-ga-game-da-to-ore-dake-ga-shitte-iru/

quote:

Popular for being filled with bugs, the virtual-reality game New Communicate Online (a.k.a. Nekomimi Neko Offline).

A die-hard fan of the game, Sagara Souma, is sent to the game world from the power of a mysterious device.

Though surprised by the sudden turn of events, Souma conveniently knows the laws of the world.

Mastering every bug, using the game’s logic against it, he is soon known as “Maverick Swordsman Souma.”
An entire story arc is literally about Souma trying to flee from one of the devs lovingly crafted NPCs, a mary sue-ish catgirl samurai, after he accidentally fulfills the requirements for her to show up and challenge him to a fight.

There are also excerpts from the games fanwiki after every chapter, usually dealing with the myriad bugs ingame.

There's a manga adaptation as well.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

Yeah, but sometimes you get gems with premises like 'transported into a skyrim knockoff with all the exploits and bugs intact'.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/kono-sekai-ga-game-da-to-ore-dake-ga-shitte-iru/

An entire story arc is literally about Souma trying to flee from one of the devs lovingly crafted NPCs, a mary sue-ish catgirl samurai, after he accidentally fulfills the requirements for her to show up and challenge him to a fight.

There are also excerpts from the games fanwiki after every chapter, usually dealing with the myriad bugs ingame.

There's a manga adaptation as well.

Does it actually handle bug testing and QA or are bugs just a handwaving isekai exploit technique. The former would be pretty awesome.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Donkringel posted:

Does it actually handle bug testing and QA or are bugs just a handwaving isekai exploit technique. The former would be pretty awesome.

Nah, but it invokes a lot of gamefaqs/speedrunning community feeling in all the silly techniques and internal commentary of the main character as he tries to rapidly grind essential stats via silly techniques like repeatedly dashing into a wall in a confessional booth and avoid ingame traps, like the games anti-grinding measure in the staring zone.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Speedrunning isekai does sound pretty interesting...

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
More like isebye

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Donkringel posted:

It talks about how mostly the Devs don't give a poo poo about fixing bugs, and how the game is filled with things that will instantly kill you if you mess up, or don't mess up, etc.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Flesnolk posted:

More like isebye

I was really looking forward to this one but :rip:

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Falconier111 posted:

It's not dead. The OP just need time to update, don't expect one every single day.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I've Been Sent to Another World and Now I'm Married to a Sexy Spanish Hero! I'll Conquer the Entire Island! All My Enemies Shall Tremble Before Me!

Mayor Cathbad had never seen Dublin so crowded. Peasants, merchants, priests, and soldiers had come from all over Ireland to see the woman who had fallen from the sky. It was a miracle, they said. Cathbad had heard many stories of miracles, but never had he seen one with his own eyes. Indeed, he had almost never seen anyone like the Lady Honemura. Her features were unlike those of any woman in all of Ireland, nor had anyone heard an accent like hers. Her body was strong and muscular, far more powerful than anyone he had ever seen. Many rumors about her were whispered throughout the isle. Some said she was a Tartar princess, swept away from her family's wrath by God Himself, and sent to Dublin. Others claimed, much to the frustration of the priests, that she was an angel sent down from Heaven to save Ireland.

OOC: due to a bug with Japanese culture tech that required me to restart the game, I had to remake Hanae. However, the game didn’t save her appearance, so she will have a new appearance in the update proper.

Truth be told, Cathbad was quite pleased with this set of affairs. The son of a merchant, Cathbad’s bravery, generosity, and cool head made him well liked in his home town of Cill Mhantain. His popularity saw him elected as one of the town's youngest mayors. As mayor of one of Dublin's two major towns, Cathbad's support was necessary for any lord of Dublin, however, he found Earl Murchad to be an aggravating master. It was not enough for the devil to lead Murchad into an horrific act of kinslaying, he also drove him from all good council. Many of Cathbad's proposals for the development of Dublin had been shot down on the spot.

Hanae, thankfully, had approved of all of them, and Dublin was sure to prosper.

She had only been made Lady of Dublin the week prior, crowned by the mysterious Kakuji. Now there was an enigma. You see, it was not entirely accurate that no one looked or sounded like Lady Hanae. Kakuji appeared to have the same sort of accent as Hanae did, and looked more Tartar than anything. No one seemed to know where Kakuji had come from. He was an able priest and didn't cause any problems, but his sudden appearance alone made Cathbad wary of him.

The other members of the council were rather unremarkable people. Baldr was a descendant of the old Norsemen who once ruled Dublin and proud of his pure heritage, as many of the other Norsemen had long married into the local Irish clans. Seoan was in charge of financial affairs, but the best that could be said of his abilities in handling money was that he was aware it existed. Ultan was the other of the mayors in Dublin, and a well-known scoundrel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Hanae, the past week had been something of a major culture shock. She had gone from being the bottom of the corporate totem pole to being a Countess. Granted, this was fairly close to the bottom of the feudal totem pole in the backwaters of Europe, but it was a start. She had yet to figure out what her new divine power was beyond physical strength, but she at least hadn't fallen ill from disease or food poisoning.

It'd certainly been an experience going without rice, the staple food of all Japanese people. She had managed, however. Fish was abundant, as was butter and milk, for it seemed that the Irish loved their cattle. Meat in general was much more common than she was used to. Her old favorite of sake was obviously nowhere to be found, but wine and beer could be found in good quantities. It was fortunate that Dublin sat right on a bay, where ships from far and wide could come and trade. Almonds, sugar, and olive oil could be imported from afar.

It turned out that it was also a good place to look for a husband, though perhaps not in the way you would expect. Dublin had been a Viking port for decades, a homebase for raiding and trading, the traditional pastimes of the Northmen. Even as the Norse married into the local Gaelic clans, Dublin remained a wealthy and important town in Ireland. Just fourteen years prior Diarmait mac Máel na mBó, the King of Leinster, had led an army into Dublin and installed his son Murchad as king. Murchad's tyrannical reign had driven a wedge between him and the men of Dublin, and it was this that drove the civil war until God intervened by sending Hanae to them.

"Diarmait isn't going to take this lying down, my lady. He spent a great amount of men and gold to take Dublin, and he'll want it back under his control. 'A mysterious woman fell from the sky and we made her queen' isn't going isn’t going to satisfy him", said Cathbad, as he and Hanae strolled through the port during the monthly inspection.

"But that's literally what happened", replied Hanae.

"I know, I know. Yet, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it myself. In the face of such a divine miracle, what can we do but listen to Our Father, who plans all things for our benefit?"

It was a good thing that he didn't know the actual story behind her arrival.

OOC: There is no retcon here. I didn't have to go back and change anything because I did some research on Dublin and realize some important things about its political history.

"Regardless, we need to prepare for war. Diarmait is old, but he's still a fighter. He’s not the type to go out in his sleep if he can help it. And I don’t mean to offend you, but you are not trained in the arts of war. You come from a land of peace. Ireland is not a land of peace. Every year, the raiders come, and some king or another attempts to conquer his neighbor. You will need to lead the men to battle, and you will lose all of them if you cannot do this well. I know you are strong in body, m’lady, but that alone will not bring you victory. You need someone who can show you how to command and stand by your side. You need a husband.”

Hanae sighed. He was starting to sound like her mother. The goddess had told her this was a world with lots of attractive men and women, but she hadn’t mentioned that that was a matter of statistics. No doubt there were plenty of attractive people around, but they didn’t all live in 11th century Dublin, or even Ireland for that matter. Fate/Grand Order had lied to her. Honestly, everything she knew about medieval Europe came from Otome games, which probably weren’t that accurate. She had particularly enjoyed the one about a heroine in Reconquista Spain, centered around the life of El Cid.

A thought occurred to her. El Cid was a real historical person. Was he alive right now? She turned to some of the sellswords waiting at the docks. “Excuse me, gentlemen, do any of you know of Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar, the Knight of Burgos?” This was a longshot, but it didn’t hurt to ask. To her surprise, one of the sellswords seemed to recognize the name.

“Rodrigo de Vivar? I have a buddy who fought with him. Tough as iron, he is. What business do you have with him?”

“I want to send him a letter. Chancellor Cathbad, send Sir Rodrigo a letter of marriage immediately.”

Cathbad nearly dropped the scrolls he was holding. “Do what?

“You heard me. I want a letter sent to him.”

“Lady Hanae, how do you even know who this man is?! You don’t know who any of the lords of Ireland are, but you are prepared to meet this warrior from who knows where?”

“Trust me, Cathbad. I know exactly what I’m doing.”

Hanae did not, in fact, know what she was doing.

As strange as Cathbad found his orders, he was still obliged to do it. After some digging and asking around, he managed to find who Rodrigo served and sent a letter to King Sancho of Castile, asking him for his knight Rodrigo’s hand in marriage. To Sancho’s shock, Rodrigo agreed and set sail for Ireland, to meet a woman almost no one in Christendom had heard of. Rodrigo, however, had his own reasons for marrying Hanae. The court at Castile was getting dangerous, and he needed to get as far away as possible. Hanae’s marriage proposal was as good an excuse as any. It was two weeks before he made it to Ireland. Hanae couldn’t sleep properly the few nights before his arrival. She was going to meet one of her favorite characters since she was a young girl in real life!

The truth was somewhat disappointing. El Cid was not a handsome blue-haired anime man, yet he had his own sort of charm. Hanae thought he’d look better without the long hair, but he’d do for now. At the very least, he was quite fit and muscular. Rodrigo, for his part, wasn’t quite sure what to think of Hanae. She was much more muscular than your average woman and looked much more like a Moor than anything he’d ever seen. She wasn’t a bad-looking woman but neither was she a great beauty.

Hanae never expected her wedding to be in Ireland. She never expected it to be as literally authentically medieval as possible. She also did not expect her first husband to be the soon-to-be legendary El Cid Campeador, the hero of Valencia. But here she was, and her new life was already looking great. The Lady and Lord Yonemura were here to rule Dublin. And one day, perhaps, all of Ireland.

Hane’s first winter in Dublin was another culture shock for her. She’d grown up in a country where central heating was abundant, where winter was a time of joy as the first snow fell. But here, the only heating was the castle fire and whatever furs Hanae could scrounge up. Her attempts at getting Rodrigo to cuddle with her proved fruitless. The man preferred to keep himself warm by exercising. Indeed, Rodrigo spent most of his time inspecting the soldiers and defenses.

There was some good news, however. Cathbad had reported that this year’s harvest was the best Dublin had seen in years and the winter in Dublin was less harsh than that in the surrounding kingdoms.

When spring came, Hanae and Rodrigo began their plans for war. Taking out Diarmait was going to require a long siege and mangonels would be key to taking the fortresses of Leinster. It was very fortunate that Hanae had picked Rodrigo for a husband. Though he was only in his early twenties, he had been waging war since he was a teenager and had absorbed much in his years of fighting. Everyday, he’d teach Hanae the arts of war, swordcraft, and horse riding. Hanae surprised both him and herself with her strength. While she wasn’t the most graceful swordfighter, even her practice blows left bruises, and by the end of every session, the training grounds were littered with practice blade shards.

At last, the day came. The Lady and Lord Yonemura would strike Diarmait first, before he could gather his allies. Diarmait was an old man, and his old tributaries and clients no longer had the same respect for him as they once did.

Rodrigo rallied the men of Dublin to war. There was much glory to be gained under the banner of the Heaven-Fallen Yonemura.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be a long march to Leinster. First, they would have to pass through the Wicklow Mountains, then down across the lowlands to meet Diarmait in battle. As the army of Dublin drew near, Cathbad noticed something strange about the levies. They marched in perfect formation. Rodrigo had drilled them well, but surely he hadn’t drilled them that well. He moved over to one of the men.

”CELTIC LEVY SPEARMAN!”, bellowed the soldier, as though he was proclaiming the name of his firstborn son. Cathbad was taken aback. He then moved over to another unit. “CELTIC LEVY AXEMEN!”, this one yelled. Confused, Cathbad moved over to Rodrigo. “Have they always done that?” he asked.

“Nope. Never seen anything like it, my friend. Not only that, they took to drilling like they’d been doing it their whole lives. Honestly, I thought you would know something about that.” The two men continued to ride in silence. Rodrigo looked over at his wife. Surely she didn’t have to do anything with this. Cathbad had told him that Hanae was unfamiliar with war, but frankly he had understated it. Warfare as a lived concept seemed completely foreign to Hanae. From her stories, Hanae had grown up in a land where war was something you only heard of in far-off lands and in stories. There was something to envy there, but if Hanae and her kingdom were to survive, she would need to know it intimately.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a month-long journey from Dublin to Leinster, the armies of the two kingdoms squared up for battle in Loch Garman. Dublin’s forces outnumbered Leinster’s two to one, but Rodrigo knew that in battle it was the heart of men that mattered, not numbers (though the numbers certainly helped). As for Hanae, she had never been so anxious in her life. Death was a much more common sight in medieval Ireland than it was in modern Japan. Indeed, she had been responsible for some of it as she handed down punishment on criminals. But today, even if she won, she would be responsible for hundreds of deaths. Rodrigo tapped her on the shoulder.

“Hold your head high, my Lady. These men have traveled with you for weeks. They’ve journeyed far away from home and family to fight on your behalf. Do not dishonor them”, he said. He was right. The men did believe in her. She wasn’t sure how (perhaps it was the divine blessing), but she could sense their spirit: they were nervous, but ready for the fight. She could also sense the men across the other side of the battlefield. They felt much the same way.

She spotted a man riding forth from the Leinster army. A lone messenger, it looked like. He rode toward Hanae, Rodrigo, and Cathbad. “Cathbad!”, he cried out. “My lord graciously thanks you for delivering yourself to slaughter. You saved him a whole trip to Dublin. He also asks how long you plan to hide behind that woman? Did you not have the balls to proclaim yourselves rulers after you murdered my lord’s son?”

Hanae was stunned. He was completely ignoring her. He didn’t think she was worth speaking to. White-hot anger flared inside her. She was done with this bullshit. She didn’t reincarnate into another world just to be treated as some mute doll. “Excuse me, messenger. You will speak to me.”

The messenger laughed. “Adorable, Cathbad! Your woman thinks she’s in charge!” Rodrigo rode in front of Hanae.

“Silence!” he said. “Were it not for the laws that protect messengers, I would cut you down where you stood.” Hanae would have been deeply moved by this if she weren’t filled with pure rage. She turned to one of the men. “Hand me your spear,” she said. The man did so. This was Yamazaki all over again. Just another rear end in a top hat who thought they could mock and belittle her with no consequences. As she prepared to throw the spear, she felt power flowing to her arm.

“Don’t do it, Hanae! A messenger’s life is protected!” yelled Rodrigo.

“I’m not aiming for him!” replied Hanae. She threw the spear with all her might. There was some sort of boom and an explosion of blood.

There was a moment of silence as everyone processed what just happened. The spear was nowhere to be seen. Nothing remained of the messenger’s horse besides a few large chunks, and the messenger himself lay on the ground, terrified. After a few moments, he let out a most unmanly scream, and ran away as fast as his limp would let him. A great cheer rose from the ranks of Dublin’s army. God had sent them a hero of old to fight for.

As Hanae felt the spirits of her men rise, she felt the spirits of the enemy fall. “All men, advance!” she ordered. What happened next cannot be described as much of a battle, as no sooner did the lines clash than the army of Leinster folded, their men running to the hills, none of them wishing to suffer the same fate as the messenger's horse.

Hanae, for her part, was completely exhausted after the fight, and when her adrenaline faded, she immediately fell asleep.

When she woke up, she was lying in her tent. Her arm hurt like hell. Rodrigo was there, sitting alongside. He smiled. “It’s good to see you’re awake. You gave us all a scare back there. But I do have to say, that was one hell of a throw. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life. That man’s horse was just gone, like the hand of God smote it from the earth.” He paused “Do you think you have another great feat of strength in you? We could surely use one right now,” he said.

Hanae pulled herself up. “Why, what happened? Are we under attack?”, she asked.

“No, the opposite. We’re sieging Loch Garman. The mangonels we brought are doing a decent job of wearing down the defenses, but until they bring down the walls, Diarmait is just going to hide inside.”

“Well I don’t think I’ve got the energy to tear down a wall with my bare hands.”

“A shame. Well, anyways, Cathbad wanted to speak to you about something. He should be in his tent. I’ve got to go check the mangonels. I’ll see you in a bit.” He stopped just before leaving the tent. “Good work out there, Hanae.”

A few months later, the castle finally fell. Diarmait was exiled, and Dublin’s greatest threat had been neutralized. Tales spread of the Great Spear Toss of Loch Garman. As Hanae journeyed back to Dublin, she was accosted with requests to make another spear toss. Hanae refused all of them. Once was enough for now.

Baldr, her marshal, was ordered to stay in Leinster and bring it under control. Rodrigo would also stay to help Baldr in his duties.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Hanae’s entourage left, Baldr called Rodrigo over to a secluded grove. “Rodrigo,” he said. “There’s something very wrong with that woman.”

“With Hanae? I don’t know what you’re talking about. She’s been a perfectly fine woman. I thought she was a bit soft at first, but she’s shown some steel.

Baldr shook his head. “God drat it. You haven't been stuck with her for as long as we have, or else you would’ve heard the stories. An altar shattered in Kildare when she came down. A cow was born with three heads in Drogheda the day after she arrived. I don’t call those good omens.

“Have you seen any of these for yourself, Baldr?”

“No, I haven't. But listen-”

“Then why are you bothering me with this? These all sound like peasant stories.”

“That’s what I would’ve said about the woman falling from heaven if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes.”

“Exactly, you saw this for yourself. Do you have anything useful to say to me?

There was an exasperated sigh. “Listen, Rodrigo. She literally fell from heaven and strange things have been happening ever since. She’s got an unnatural effect on people and the environment. I tell you, those men who marched in perfect formation earlier wouldn’t have been able to march in formation if they were chained by their legs.”

“I think I know what you’re getting at, but I don’t see it. I've come to know Hanae over the past few months and everything I have seen says she’s a woman of good character, not some witch. We cannot forget that the Father sends many blessings to us, though some more dramatic than others.”

“Aye, he does. But I’ve never seen or heard anything as dramatic as this. I mean, even if the stories I heard weren’t true, Hanae still comes off as being a little good to be true. And if there’s anything I’ve learned in my life, it’s that if something’s too good to be true, it probably is. Remember that the devil too fell from heaven and that he can disguise himself as an angel of light. What I am telling you is that Hanae is going to go very wrong. It might not be this year, or this decade. But she’s going to go bad.”

“You’re out of line, Baldr.”

“I certainly am.”

“Then enjoy your retirement.”

Rodrigo never told Hanae the full details of that conversation. He instead told her that Baldr had insulted his honor. Baldr was gone within the week.

He would be replaced with a native Irishman, Mael-Patrick, who would take over his duties in Leinster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Dublin, Hanae had a very different conversation. When they had reached Castle Dublin, Cathbad called her over to one of the meeting rooms. “I want you to take a look at this, Hanae.” He pulled out a set of documents. “These are the summaries of the tax revenues for Dublin. All the commerce, all the grain harvests, collected over years.” Hanae took a look. There was a sharp rise in grain harvests in 1066. “Ever since you came here, we’ve had incredible harvests. Fields overflowing with grain, spoilage at an all time low. We’ve become a land of milk and honey. Every single thing is growing strong and healthy. I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life.”

“That’s excellent, Cathbad”, Hanae said. “But why are you telling me about this? Unless you’re saying that I’m somehow responsible for this? We might be just having a few good years.”

“That’s what I thought too. But here’s the thing. We’d been having some bad harvests for years. Leinster was, too. But I’ve been in touch with the tax collectors in Leinster. They’re all reporting the same thing: the harvests have never looked better. Fields they thought were going to die have rebounded. It’s like they were waiting for you, Hanae.”

Hanae didn’t know what to say.

“Hanae, you don’t know what it’s been like in Ireland. For as long as we can remember we’ve been fighting each other. Village burning village, chief killing chief. Every single Patrick and Connor thinks he’s got a shot at taking his neighbor’s land. A few men have claimed to be High King and master, but no one’s willing to listen to them. They murder each other and they clap themselves on the back for doing so. Not even the invasion of the Northmen could get us to stop fighting. It’s like Homer said: ‘it is not good for there to be a multitude of kings; let there be one ruler, one king.’”

“Are you asking me to become king? Mistress of a people I have barely met?”

“I’m not asking you to do that. God is.”

Cathbad didn’t know nearly as much about the Divine as thought he did. But truth be told, did Hanae? She’d been lucky to get Sata to help her. But how did the Celestial Departments work? It almost seemed too convenient that she was able to get this position. Could one of the Sata’s superiors have secretly arranged this for her benefit? No, that couldn’t be right, if they could arrange Hanae’s new destiny like that, then surely they could arrange better management for their own departments.

But the thought was intriguing. This very well could be Hanae’s divine power at work. Not in the form of an overpowered ability, but an abundance of good fortune where she reigned. If that was the case, then surely it would be a net good if she were to rule all of Ireland. Not only that, but if there was only one ruler, then there would be no fighting amongst the clans. There might be a lot of violence on the way there, but surely it would be worth it, right? ”No Hanae, that’s supervillain thinking”, she thought. But really, was it so bad? Much blood was shed to unify Japan, but through it the chaos of the Sengoku Jidai ended. There was a long period of silence as Hanae went back and forth in her mind. Finally, she gave her answer.

“I’ll do it.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But unbeknownst to any of these people, there was one other person talking about Hanae’s destiny. Scribbling furiously away in a Dublin church, Kakuji was almost in a state of religious ecstasy. The wait was over. Amakusa’s Promised One had finally come.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was unprepared for the out of nowhere El Cid husband arc, but I'm here for it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I was unprepared for Hana's bonkers Martial skill translating to "making her troops act like they're in Total War instead of Crusader Kings." Among a few other things but that was definitely the highlight for me this update :allears:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
ooohhhh good choice of husband.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
It's only fitting for an isekai after all. Find a strapping historical figure of your choice and marry them...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Well, the Reconquista is gonna go in a weird direction now.

Namely that at this rate it's gonna be Ireland that takes over Iberia

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This is pretty isekai right now, was not expecting EL HUSBANDO DE CAMPEADOR!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Whenever this El Cid inevitably kicks a bucket, we better reenact tying his armored corpse to a horse and sending it out to terrify our enemies

:black101:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Whenever this El Cid inevitably kicks a bucket, we better reenact tying his armored corpse to a horse and sending it out to terrify our enemies

:black101:

Our isekai protagonist couldn't manage to marry Lancer, but she can get Spanish Cu Chulainn instead :fsn:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Irish Catholic Iberia vs. the forces of Islamdom.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Was the Deadly Spear of Destiny a reference to anything?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Your posts

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Sorry about that, Imgur being fucky probably delayed this by a few days.

Night10194 posted:

I was unprepared for the out of nowhere El Cid husband arc, but I'm here for it.

Tbh I was too, but when you look for a husband and you see El Cid there you HAVE to take him.

sebmojo posted:

Was the Deadly Spear of Destiny a reference to anything?

Nothing in particular, at least not consciously.

Anyways folks, I got a mechanics update and Isekai Review coming along. Hope you enjoy them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Tbh I was too, but when you look for a husband and you see El Cid there you HAVE to take him.

I mean look at the man. Obvious husbando material.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This LP rules.

I look forward to what other damage Hanae's aura of Isekai Radiation will cause.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does out Isekai Cheat Trait gives us immortality or extra long life? Will we hoard off the failsons?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Why would we deal with failsons differently than in normal CK games in this LP?

:commissar:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Immortal trait is real easy to mod in this game.
Wouldn't be surprised if the isekai trait has that baked in.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

But unbeknownst to any of these people, there was one other person talking about Hanae’s destiny. Scribbling furiously away in a Dublin church, Kakuji was almost in a state of religious ecstasy. The wait was over. Amakusa’s Promised One had finally come.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does out Isekai Cheat Trait gives us immortality or extra long life? Will we hoard off the failsons?

Currently it's a longer life, but it shouldn't be hard for us to become immortal