Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks, all. This game seems real potentially cool even if all these mechanics at once feel overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Last Celebration posted:

Thanks, all. This game seems real potentially cool even if all these mechanics at once feel overwhelming.

SaGa.txt

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My plan was to do Bonnie and Formina as my first playthrough but reviews are saying its the most open ended one. Maybe I will do Diva no. 5 and Ameya first and then them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
i'm going to do the boring protag guy first so i can then ramp up the SaGa silliness with the other characters like i'm peaking on a pinger....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

My plan was to do Bonnie and Formina as my first playthrough but reviews are saying its the most open ended one. Maybe I will do Diva no. 5 and Ameya first and then them.

My general feeling on the openness is:

Mido is the most straightforward
Diva/Bonfor are about equal
The Dismal Lord is a few steps above them
Amaya is probably the most 'open' in that it's entirely possible to gently caress up her quest and lose access to worlds.

Also the order in which you do things seems to matter. For example for Bonnie and Formina, when I did their quest first I was able to recruit a cute little minstrel robot(a distinct character though same look as Diva's first form), but when I did Diva's quest before theirs I was able to recruit Diva herself in her standard non-bean body instead.

Characters you recruit who are protagonists will carry over unlocked skills and stuff but don't seem to carry over their unique gimmicks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 24, 2024

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mike_V posted:

i'm going to do the boring protag guy first so i can then ramp up the SaGa silliness with the other characters like i'm peaking on a pinger....

Mido actually seems like a real loving weirdo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mido is simply from a land where Canada and Japan fused into one new culture, bud.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://opencritic.com/game/16615/saga-emerald-beyond
https://www.metacritic.com/game/saga-emerald-beyond/

a couple of reviews

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its funny what passes as a normal protagonist in this game is the guy who hangs out with a bunch of doll people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its funny what passes as a normal protagonist in this game is the guy who hangs out with a bunch of doll people.

Honestly Bonnie and Formina are probably the most normal protagonists in that they are not some weird magic beings, they're just some police officers roped into triangle nonsense and they're just two women who live together with their three cats.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have met lesbian couples like that. The three cats part not the cops part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly my biggest criticism of the entire game is that the Dismal King thing is just... weird? Like you go from world to world taking parts of people's souls and mind controlling them and seeking darkness and you enthrall people to your will and make them wield cursed armor but it's also still presented as kind of heroic and you're doing the same generally positive actions as the other cast members.

I was in the middle of trying a second run without enthralling anyone when I got more work so maybe that changes stuff but even just the act of talking to people means that during the end-of-world roundup you go around gaining a LP from every person you met while they are like "OH THANK YOU, GREAT DISMAL KING."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yep, those sound like SaGa reviews alright.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly my biggest criticism of the entire game is that the Dismal King thing is just... weird? Like you go from world to world taking parts of people's souls and mind controlling them and seeking darkness and you enthrall people to your will and make them wield cursed armor but it's also still presented as kind of heroic and you're doing the same generally positive actions as the other cast members.
they simply understand that dudes rock

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tortolia posted:

Yep, those sound like SaGa reviews alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWUA1Sk98SA&t=549s
lmao

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am incredibly hard pressed to think of a SaGa that would be better than Emerald Beyond for your first one. It's honestly more friendly and clear with info than Frontier or Graces which would be my other choices.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I do like re:universe more than a lot of other gacha games but its so funny to play that and think, yeah this has glimmers, this is a good representation of the series.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Noisy Pixel is right, you should download Romancing SaGa Re;Universe and spend lots of money chasing your faves or however the game is monetized!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

I do like re:universe more than a lot of other gacha games but its so funny to play that and think, yeah this has glimmers, this is a good representation of the series.

I enjoyed it too but the amount of grinding it took was ludicrous even for the format. Maybe that changed though.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

TurnipFritter posted:

Noisy Pixel is right, you should download Romancing SaGa Re;Universe and spend lots of money chasing your faves or however the game is monetized!

Very well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I don’t like watching video reviews. So what the heck are they saying that is mock worthy?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Unlucky7 posted:

So I don’t like watching video reviews. So what the heck are they saying that is mock worthy?

quote:

I want more SaGa but this isn't the direction the series should take. If you are looking for an accessible and modern SaGa, maybe stick with Romancing SaGa Re:Universe on mobile devices. Its pretty good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TurnipFritter posted:

merry christmas from windie

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Noisy Pixel is the site whose coverage of the demo was just complaining about how the localization didn't exactly match what they were seeing in a machine translation

quote:

The localization is quite cringy. I don’t usually do this, but I decided to play with the Japanese audio and Japanese text using translation software to directly translate a few conversations because I felt like the dialogue between characters in the English version was disjointed. Playing with Japanese text revealed a lot of personality put into these characters in the English version that doesn’t seem to be present in the Japanese release. Accent stereotypes like “y’all” and “naur” are found in the English text, but I couldn’t find them in the Japanese text or showcased in the character’s audio. The audio is a whole other beast, and even though I exclusively play games and watch anime with English audio nowadays (primarily out of laziness because I don’t want to read more than I have to), I switched to the Japanese audio.

I swear, I’m not a picky gamer, and I rarely even care about localization taking liberties here and there considering the localized region. Still, it just feels like there is no cohesion in this particular game. Nothing flows during dialogue, leaving it almost impossible for the player to relate to or care about the adventure. I’m hoping the other character arcs don’t have this same flimsy opening. Sometimes, it’s like the characters are having two conversations simultaneously, or there’s missing context to understand the situation. For a super surface level and basic example, an NPC says, “Hi, I need help.” English Diva No.5 responds by saying, “Yes, Love?”

Meanwhile, the Japanese text says, “Yes, Yes. What can I help you with?” (). “Yes, Love?” doesn’t make sense to me in this situation because Diva No.5 is just meeting this person for the first time who refers to her as an alien because she just appeared in this world. I don’t know in what context someone would refer to someone else as “Love” when they are just meeting and being referred to as an Alien. Sorry, I’m getting too deep. Maybe it’ll make more sense when the characters have more time to develop.

naur

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 24, 2024

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

i could give that person a wedgie easy, no question

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

lets hang out posted:

Noisy Pixel is the site whose coverage of the demo was just complaining about how the localization didn't exactly match what they were seeing in a machine translation

naur

I want to believe this piece too was written by an AI because loving lol if it wasn't

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lmao, love.

This reviewer melting down in the south when they realize strangers call each other honey.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Oh good, another Youtuber I've never heard of that I can continue not caring about.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Unfortunately I have heard of them, and used to watch a lot of their reviews. For better or worse, they do cover a lot of indie RPGs and mid-tier games that don't get mainstream coverage.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's not authentic unless it's machine translated. That way I know the translation is 100% authentic.

I'm glad this Youtuber treats logic similar to the gameplay of a SaGa game.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
can't wait to hear what he thinks about women

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/SaGaGame/status/1782424387498721731

Console version unlocks midnight local time while PC version unlocks at typical Steam update time

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Gyoru posted:

https://twitter.com/SaGaGame/status/1782424387498721731

Console version unlocks midnight local time while PC version unlocks at typical Steam update time

So we Steam players will need to wait 12 hours. Thank you for the precise info!

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 25, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's live now on switch :toot:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

lets hang out posted:

naur

I just stumbled across this guy entirely by accident and jesus, dude

https://twitter.com/azariosays/status/1783139394557546992

https://twitter.com/azariosays/status/1783260636493066639

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I watched a few minutes to see if there was more insane takes and I’m genuinely confused what this dude likes about SaGa, because his issue with the narrative is like…isn’t that 90% of SaGa games besides Romancing 2?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really boring guys becoming completely befuddled and angry? haha it's classic saga.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bemoaning that it’s a “mobile game experience” while also believing that the gacha is a better design paradigm for the franchise

One of the best parts of a new SaGa release is enjoying all of the cognitive dissonance they create

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I am incredibly hard pressed to think of a SaGa that would be better than Emerald Beyond for your first one. It's honestly more friendly and clear with info than Frontier or Graces which would be my other choices.

What about the remastered Minstrel Song? It's got a lot of Saga in it for sure but in a lot of ways it plays like a more familiar rpg to people not used to Saga. And the remaster has got quite a bit of Qol compared to the original remake too.

Or hell if it weren't for the absolutely brutal difficulty spikes I'd nominate Saga Frontier 2 as well. Very approachable game until you get to the absolutely unfair parts with no way to back track to get stronger if you need to.