Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

He comes off a bit better in the responses (probably because some of those reviewers that he implied were wrong actually showed up) but those tweets are still weird and defensive.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Last Celebration posted:

I watched a few minutes to see if there was more insane takes and I’m genuinely confused what this dude likes about SaGa, because his issue with the narrative is like…isn’t that 90% of SaGa games besides Romancing 2?

Yeah, its pretty weird. Like buddy its kinda a reoccurring element of the series that character and story often revolve around broad points, its part of the whole stumbling into different tabletop experiences thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's a reasonable criticism to have of the series, but how he didn't notice it in Frontier or Minstrel Song which are far, far more laconic is very odd. The demo for DIVA felt verbose by comparison

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda bizarre that he made an entire rear end review about how much he dislikes Emerald Beyond because it’s not an “evolution” of SaGa without a single comparison to Scarlet Grace, which it’s basically just straight up a successor to that addresses a lot of its accessibility issues (easier, more linear) and was even worse about some of the stuff he doesn’t like in EB since you really could just go anywhere in some stories.

And also, $50 isn’t exactly cheap, but the lower price point from a AAA company/ is indicative of a budget release

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as a long time saga fan, i don't know a single detail about the series. thus, emerald beyond confuses and disappoints me.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
to experience SaGa is to touch the unknown, and the unknowable

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Who cares about these nerds what character are you starting with!!!!!
I went with Ameya :3:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I still can't decide, I definitely do not want to continue the demo save. Wouldn't mind doing boring/generic/linear first and then save the "best for last"

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I restarted on Switch so I could play as Diva. I got four world choices at the start instead of being forced into Delta base like in the demo, so I’m currently looking for Pandora’s box in a post-apocalypse desert.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

microfolk posted:

I'm going to go

Diva
Mido
Ameya
Bonfor
Sigunas

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

microfolk posted:

I went with her too since I'm on switch so I figured I might as well continue from where the demo left off. I dig the world map music for her world so that helps!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I’ll probably do a fresh start with Diva and not import my demo data; I found the story setup for her quite interesting, I dig the Arbitrarily Scottish Robot thing, and Wednesday is in the party.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

microfolk posted:

the cops. im gay.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
SaGa Emerald Beyonds is up on Steam now!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

i'm sagaing

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Bless you Kawazu for releasing the newest SaGa on a national holiday, I've been playing for a while now and I love how familiar it feels while still having so many new mechanics and changes to the old ones to surprise me at every turn.
But at the same time why in the poo poo I still haven't sparked a single tech!!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

microfolk posted:

Bless you Kawazu for releasing the newest SaGa on a national holiday, I've been playing for a while now and I love how familiar it feels while still having so many new mechanics and changes to the old ones to surprise me at every turn.
But at the same time why in the poo poo I still haven't sparked a single tech!!!!!!

Techs are way more likely to spark on Hard or Brutal battles, so if you're doing easy battles you only seem them spark rarely.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Also from what I recall of the demo, there's limited tech slots again. Is this gonna be like in RS2/3 and Frontier 1 where you want to keep a free tech slot in order to learn things?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Also from what I recall of the demo, there's limited tech slots again. Is this gonna be like in RS2/3 and Frontier 1 where you want to keep a free tech slot in order to learn things?

Nope!

There are limited tech slots but any techs you spark during battle are added as temporary 'bonus' tech slots until the end of the battle.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ImpAtom posted:

Nope!

There are limited tech slots but any techs you spark during battle are added as temporary 'bonus' tech slots until the end of the battle.

EXCELLENT.

I mean, the old way wasn't awful, it was just a bit of a newb trap. This is better.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Got my preorder key from GMG as expected, though I don't think I'll be able to dive into this until Saturday unfortunately.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.rpgsite.net/review/15759-saga-emerald-beyond-review

RPGSite review is good. Something in particular they brought up really interests me (mild spoilers), that it only took them 6 hours to clear Ameya's story, but in a way where it might have been cut short because of choices they made since it was a cliffhanger ending with no final boss (though of course the series is no stranger to cliffhangers)

That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear when they talked about how the campaigns will be much shorter than Scarlet Grace but with choices playing a bigger role in how things play out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

https://www.rpgsite.net/review/15759-saga-emerald-beyond-review

RPGSite review is good. Something in particular they brought up really interests me (mild spoilers), that it only took them 6 hours to clear Ameya's story, but in a way where it might have been cut short because of choices they made since it was a cliffhanger ending with no final boss (though of course the series is no stranger to cliffhangers)

That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear when they talked about how the campaigns will be much shorter than Scarlet Grace but with choices playing a bigger role in how things play out.

With regards to Ameya (minor plot spoilers)

The pattern you do for getting cats vs going to other worlds influences things a lot. If you just get all your cats as soon as they appear you'll basically only get to visit a couple of worlds. The best balance genuinely seems to be collecting cats until other plots open up and do those plots, at least until the point where you get a plot choice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

With regards to Ameya (minor plot spoilers)

The pattern you do for getting cats vs going to other worlds influences things a lot. If you just get all your cats as soon as they appear you'll basically only get to visit a couple of worlds. The best balance genuinely seems to be collecting cats until other plots open up and do those plots, at least until the point where you get a plot choice.

That's good to know, especially since that's how I was going about it in the demo anyways since that made sense to me.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
My approach was just "get all the cats ASAP" and it sounds like maybe the game doesn't want me to do that. (The NPCs did hint as much.) But I'm still gonna do it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That's what replaying stories is for!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think I will start with Mido since he feels like the tutorial character, sort of like Urpina. Or at least that is the vibe I get

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 25, 2024

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I played Siugnas's quest for about an hour and a half. I can confidently say that the guy complaining about the localization has no taste and is dumb. It's been a lot of fun so far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tequila Bob posted:

My approach was just "get all the cats ASAP" and it sounds like maybe the game doesn't want me to do that. (The NPCs did hint as much.) But I'm still gonna do it.

Whenever I replay her scenario I am definitely gonna see what happens when I only care about collecting cars, I figure going with both extremes will be a good way to see how the scenarios can change!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

buddychrist10 posted:

I played Siugnas's quest for about an hour and a half. I can confidently say that the guy complaining about the localization has no taste and is dumb. It's been a lot of fun so far.

The localization is really weird, Tsunanori keeps calling complete strangers "Bud" even though they're not actually buddies because they just met

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is still the case that there's no JP voice selection on console but available on PC?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the heavy canadian accent is doing a lot of work to make tsunanori more appealing.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
There's definitely the ability to choose Japanese or English audio on PC. Someone else will have to speak for the consoles.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I was promised a 6 hour jaunt but Diva is still going at 17 hours, I wonder if I broke something inadvertedly

re: voice overs I can't find an option for japanese VA on PS5

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
From what I remember, you might have to choose it in the title option screen. I don't think you can change in game for whatever reason.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I took about 7 hours to finish Tsunanori's, but I wonder if some of my choices cut things short? I also didn't do any of the optional battles.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
What's the proportion of voice acted to unvoiced dialog? I'm interested in this but my eyes suck way too much to read a lot of text.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

What's the proportion of voice acted to unvoiced dialog? I'm interested in this but my eyes suck way too much to read a lot of text.

Most of the dialogue isn’t voiced aside from the intro (and probably the endings) since it’s a budget game and it’s so free-form, sorry.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
No worries it's budget as hell that's pretty much what I expected. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

poe meater posted:

From what I remember, you might have to choose it in the title option screen. I don't think you can change in game for whatever reason.

The title screen does have an exclusive option to it on consoles, but it's just brightness level. Curiously, maybe I'm stupid, but is there really no way to exit to title from inside the game?