Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
can kugutsu rank up techs and spells through normal use, or only from copying a higher rank version?

edit: the answer is yes. it was just a bit slow at first for whatever reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
well i got my rear end absolutely whipped by a fight that i didn't know was gonna happen because i was just talking to a bunch of witches thinking they'd be chill. glad to see saga is back!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yo how do you move these panels around in the sci-fi world's underground layer

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

If you mean the one with the three red/green/yellow area commanders then doing their subplots up to a certain point did it for me in the demo

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Yeah that stumped me too in the demo There's a central platform that takes you down and you need to use that one not any of the red/yellow/green specific ones. You can choose where it goes and it takes you to the switches that move the platforms. You can use it as soon as you finish some of the early quests and get the unlock message (like it saying you can go between red - green or green - yellow, etc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not really that complicated to navigate, but it's large enough that a map would be nice.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Skanker posted:

The title screen does have an exclusive option to it on consoles, but it's just brightness level. Curiously, maybe I'm stupid, but is there really no way to exit to title from inside the game?

Hnmm, on steam it's there. Title screen -> options -> language. Can pick between Japanese/English text and voice. Weird that its not on consoles. Games not that big.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cheat engine speedhack works. I don't really think the battles need to be sped up, but 1.5 or 2x speed does make moving around the menus and picking actions in fights feel a lot snappier.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah we couldn't find any JP VA on PS5 but I've heard the VA really tapers off after the intro areas so no biggie.

200 hours of scarlet grace and I still manage to delay an enemy into a self inflicted combo. Dva route owns btw, really didn't expect all the funny writing.

Love Mr S

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you learn spells by leveling up magic and element skills. okay, that's fine. but that's only if you have a spell already, and only for spells of the same element. how do you learn new elements, including on characters that don't have any spells to start with? and again, i'm not sure how this interacts with kugutsu. the in-game help specifies that they can't glimmer techs and says nothing about spells.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Decided to start with Mido instead of continuing with Diva. I did notice that it keeps the saves I made with Diva, so I am wondering if the time I spent on her story will start affecting my current playthrough. I started in Witchworld with Mido, though I do not know if that is different than his start in the demo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you learn spells by leveling up magic and element skills. okay, that's fine. but that's only if you have a spell already, and only for spells of the same element. how do you learn new elements, including on characters that don't have any spells to start with? and again, i'm not sure how this interacts with kugutsu. the in-game help specifies that they can't glimmer techs and says nothing about spells.

There are pieces of equipment that have spells attached to them and equipping them allows you to set a spell.

Kugutsu can learn spells from souls but I believe also can Mimic them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i have spell souls. but what i'm wondering is if they can access the normal spell learning process. i guess i'll just have to grind for myself to see.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I have used the dagger/spell kugutsu exclusively as a spellcaster after getting the witch and going with the dual cast formation. im in the 3rd world now and they haven't learned any new spell yet (although tbf the witch has only learned 1 spell since then too)

Edit: Of course just as I say that, Komachi learned Gravity Bind

Dackel fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my adventures in pirate land lasting longer than anything i experience in the demo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Think I read somewhere that characters can pick up the element skills from the Mr. S training thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Anyone got a feel for if there's still different glimmer rates for different characters on different weapons? I switched Constantine to a katana very early in Diva's route and he refused to spark a single katana tech for 5 worlds despite obsessively using his 2H sword techs. Meanwhile he's sparked about 15 one handed gun techs from much more casual gun use.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 26, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only sub category of techs i've managed to glimmer thus far is halberd. it seems to be a lot easier to glimmer the generic 1h/2h category techs in general. and of course, no one seems to have figured out the requirements for guns akimbo, sword and gun, or dual wielding roles yet.

in sg, glimmers were an increasing chance based on a character's total bp use. so if you kept using a tech that could glimmer what you wanted, eventually the chance would become 100%. the bp total required to reach that number increased based on the number of techs you already learned in a category. so learning the first few techs of a weapon would be very fast and the last few would be very slow. i really hope there's a similar pity mechanic for eb.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Come to think of it my katana user has barely glimmered anything that isn't a custom tech.

Not sure how I feel about the new exclamation point markers for guiding you on where to go. The series sorely needed it of course but now I struggle with deciding whether to advance the main quest or go do something else. I miss the lost feeling I guess!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Come to think of it my katana user has barely glimmered anything that isn't a custom tech.

Not sure how I feel about the new exclamation point markers for guiding you on where to go. The series sorely needed it of course but now I struggle with deciding whether to advance the main quest or go do something else. I miss the lost feeling I guess!

I've been treating it as something like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, especially since I've heard playthroughs can get pretty different depending on what/when your choices are.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rascyc posted:

I think it's a fantastic compromise. You still get the "what the gently caress where am i where am i going" vibe when they throw 30 different potential worlds at you, but now there's some form of guidance to let you know how to actually move forward without completely blindly stumbling around if you're not glued to a guide or have it memorized from 300 previous playthroughs.

A lot of worlds definitely seem to have multiple potential outcomes depending on which events you choose.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

lets hang out posted:

cheat engine speedhack works. I don't really think the battles need to be sped up, but 1.5 or 2x speed does make moving around the menus and picking actions in fights feel a lot snappier.

Huh, I didn't know CE had such a simple and convenient feature. RS3 2x speed feels much better.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I do love the portal world setup. I saw some complaints about being unable to backout but I like the captivity personally once you're dropped into an arc.

What does it mean when a portal world has like three exclamation marks instead of the usual one for main quest stuff? I saw Diva's first set of portal worlds have that arrangement so I went with that (delta base or whatever, the demo area afaik).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the markers just tell you what points of interest are available at the moment so you don't have to go check every spot on the map again after each event. the events themselves remain cryptic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A dark secret however is that there are some unmarked points of interest. (Not like, anything super important that I noticed, like there's a tram system in NotJapan world that seems to have no purpose.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Having never played Scarlet Grace, I'm not 100% sure what kind of structure to expect from Emerald Beyond. Is it similar to SaGa Frontier and Romancing SaGa, with (mostly) player-directed exploration and a lot of side quests to run into? Is it mostly story-driven?

I mean I'm into it either way, just curious what I'm in for

Also how's it run on Switch? As much as I'd love 60fps for purely aesthetic reasons, SaGa games on handheld are :discourse:

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Having never played Scarlet Grace, I'm not 100% sure what kind of structure to expect from Emerald Beyond.

The format of Emerald Beyond is that when you visit a world, you'll play through one episode of the game, locked into it and unable to travel elsewhere until you're done. Then you'll pick another and repeat!
We don't know much about how these world's episodes might vary across playthroughs yet...
But basically, the format of each one will be fairly explained and straight-forward - it's clear to a player what to do to advance one, and it shuffles you on when you're done.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I'd say Emerald Beyond is more like a branching CYOA rather than the totally open world of Frontier or Romancing SaGa. At any given time you'll have a small handful of points of interest you can go to. Usually going to any of them will advance the plot a bit so it's about picking and choosing what you want to do rather than clearing everything out. And zooming out a level there's a similar structure, where you choose a world to go to, do its storyline, then go back to the hub to choose another world to explore (but maybe not from the same pool of options you had last time).

It runs fine on switch. The menus are a little more sluggish than I'd like but they feel like that on PC too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh cool, that's pretty interesting! Looking forward to playing once I can decide who to start with first...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Switch performance from the demo seemed fine, at worst you'll have to confront longer loading times, and this can include working with the menu (which you'll be popping in and out of).

Example playthrough beginning from the Steam Demo: your first real world is Delta Base (this is not necessarily the case in the full game), where you'll meet three factions. You can do an introductory quest for all three, but then you'll have to pick one of the three to do a second quest for, and afterwards you'll leave Delta Base for a new world. There's different story for each faction, and there can even be character-specific scenes locked behind these. There's also side-quests including a Brutal battle (combats are ranked in difficulty and Brutal is the hardest - this doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible, just that you'll have to work a lot harder at playing the system). This is a taste of what all worlds are like, though of course quirks abound.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The reason Delta Base has so much content compared to some of the other worlds is because a few years ago when they did a survey to ask fans what they wanted to see from SaGa I asked them to bring back the Sci-Fi elements.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've heard people rag on the menus in switch but they seem to get a little sticky on PS5 too, there's just some strange input buffering going on.

The party menu feels like a step backwards in terms of polish compared to SG, however the actual information in the battle related menus is probably the most comprehensive ever for a Saga game. We get to actually see power ratings on moves! Interrupts will highlight if they work and who it will interrupt, and all sorts of cool things!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The switch version does run a little bit chunky, but not so much that I'm all that bothered by it. Wish it ran a little better but it's definitely a game I want to play in handheld form and I prefer the switch form factor over the Deck, so I'm fine with my choice.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

After playing on both switch and steam deck I would never choose the switch version if I had a choice. On switch there is a small but very perceptible delay on every menu interaction, and it's a game that is basically all menus.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
YMMV of course but the menus felt sluggish on PC too to me. It’s my one real complaint, this sort of game really benefits from snappy menus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Keep running into characters I am like, oh, this must be someone you recruit in a next playthrough.

lol. saga is truly back.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Kanos posted:

Anyone got a feel for if there's still different glimmer rates for different characters on different weapons? I switched Constantine to a katana very early in Diva's route and he refused to spark a single katana tech for 5 worlds despite obsessively using his 2H sword techs. Meanwhile he's sparked about 15 one handed gun techs from much more casual gun use.

It absolutely feels this way. It’s been in SaGa since RS2, so I’d be honestly more shocked to find out it’s not present in this.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Is it just me or does magic kinda suck? Sure it's pretty strong, but waiting multiple rounds for something you may not even be able to combo seems like a terrible deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Is it just me or does magic kinda suck? Sure it's pretty strong, but waiting multiple rounds for something you may not even be able to combo seems like a terrible deal.

It depends a lot on the spell and the character. Amaya's multi-hit stuff could clean out fights almost by herself.

The multi-round thing can be a plus or a minus since you can start the cast on a turn where the mage has nothing else to do and you have spare BP, and a good number of spells have huge combo ranges so it's usually pretty easy to work at least one combo in. Especially if you either have something that builds BP quickly or you use the formation that starts you with max BP you'll probably have bonus BP to spend and starting a spell is almost always worth it over plinking with a single sword slash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wish I could hide all these tip prompts that keep coming up. Am I missing something?