Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
really feel like i'm in the SaGa flow when I have a bunch of combos popping off, kugutsu mimicking or some poo poo, and then learning non-glimmers (custom techs?) all the while I never have any idea what's going on because there's a wall of text on the right side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thing about spells is that leaving someone inactive during a turn isn't necessarily a bad thing. characters automatically defend if they don't act, and also starting spell casts don't trigger conditionals. it's not that rare for multiple enemies to have a ??? going in one turn, which means it might not be worth attacking even if you have multiple characters with quells. quell attacks can still set off counters and interrupts if they are the wrong type, so cancelling a ??? is always somewhat risky.

then when the spells go off, the spells are effectively free attacks (with large combo ranges, as mentioned above) since the bp cost was paid before. and since you want to be doing either big expensive combos (or showstoppers) whenever possible, that means a combo with a spell included is really powerful and will likely go into overload.

imo, the biggest change from sg combat-wise is that a character using a cheap attack with no relevant special effects that isn't in a combo is pretty pointless. it's not going to do a very useful amount of damage, usually. if a character can't combo in a turn, spend more bp with the characters that can. the only purpose of these cheap attacks is to maybe glimmer something or rank it up, but they tend to go off in overloads all the time anyway so you don't need to go out of your way to use them. of course, the glimmer mechanics remain unknown so maybe this is the exact wrong way to glimmer stuff. i dunno.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
If you can get a spellcaster in position for a Showstopper that can also really clean house since they will cycle through a bunch of their spells without having a cast time.

I just finished up Hero's section in my Siugnas playthrough. It was delightful. I love the pirate captain with his two dads. I love the rude parrot that sidequest. I love that scientist in the lighthouse who keeps pranking me into encounters. From what I've seen from Siugnas and Ameya's quest the game is overflowing with what made some of the Scarlet Graces events so funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

buddychrist10 posted:

If you can get a spellcaster in position for a Showstopper that can also really clean house since they will cycle through a bunch of their spells without having a cast time.

I just finished up Hero's section in my Siugnas playthrough. It was delightful. I love the pirate captain with his two dads. I love the rude parrot that sidequest. I love that scientist in the lighthouse who keeps pranking me into encounters. From what I've seen from Siugnas and Ameya's quest the game is overflowing with what made some of the Scarlet Graces events so funny.

Yeah, Showstoppers will use every ability available, even ones that the conditions aren't met for, which can get absurd when you talk about magic or Counter/Interrupt attacks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's also nice because most spells i've seen thus far have pretty cheap bp costs. i find it oddly easier to grind up the ranks of spells than techs. perhaps the usage count requirement is different? but anyway, that leaves you with relatively high rank spells with no cast time and high damage in overloads and showstoppers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They probably are, you can use a low BP attack every turn but a spell’s an investment the same way a 5 BP move is. Well, not the exact same, but still.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

How exactly do you perform a Showstopper? The tutorial message is typically vague and I was real salty when a boss stole a win from me with it.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 27, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

5-Headed Snake God posted:

How exactly do you perform a Showstopper? The tutorial message is typically vague and I was real salty with a boss stole a win from me with it.

If a unit takes an action with two empty spaces on either side of them they will start a Showstopper. This will cause them to use up every BP left unspent +1.

It has to be two empty spaces. If you're on the far end of the timeline then you can't do a Showstopper. However it is 2 empty spaces at the time the character acts so if you delay an enemy and they end up in Showstopper position they'll Showstopper. (Shut up I never did this shut up.)

You can interrupt a boss's Showstopper then by Delaying them to the end of the timeline, using an Interrupt to act before them, or otherwise manipulating things. Pursuit will not stop a Showstopper because Pursuit triggers AFTER the enemy has acted.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The worst part is you can accidentally give enemies showstopper or combo by comboing yourself and having any delay or similar action in your list and it being used in the overdrive on the wrong enemy. no way to really control that other than giving up delays entirely, which is not worth how rare this happens. but when it does happen....

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
showstoppers are pretty situational for how difficult they are to pull off. if you still have a full party, there isn't much to recommend a showstopper over a 4-5 member combo because showstoppers can't activate overload. you get a single free bp and that's it. instead, they are a comeback mechanic. they become easier to perform and more useful as your party members go down.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

showstoppers are pretty situational for how difficult they are to pull off. if you still have a full party, there isn't much to recommend a showstopper over a 4-5 member combo because showstoppers can't activate overload. you get a single free bp and that's it. instead, they are a comeback mechanic. they become easier to perform and more useful as your party members go down.

Yeah, I've found that the primary use of them is as a finisher when a boss is almost dead but you've lost a few people and are on your last legs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Think I am coming up on the end of my first playthrough. Decided I like the combo system more than united attacks, it just had a lot of fun interlocking pieces with it being able to steal enemy combo range and like laying out green spaces so you can have a person pursuit into it or whatever. I do wish the game was a bit harder, I had a few full party wipes but its mostly been a cakewalk so far. Hoping there are some really tough super bosses deeper in.

Bonnie and Formina are fun but I do wish they talked to each other more. For the most part each world is focused on one of them (though some places like the scifi world they switch around who is talking primarily for events). Outside of entering or leaving worlds they don't really talk to each other. Like I feel like Urpina talked more to Mondo in Scarlet Grace lol. At the very least when Bonnie does say something Formina there is a decent chance it will be mildly flirty.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Considering the game’s limited budget I appreciate that all of Diva’s forms come with alternate portraits and a different overworld model. She’s currently a giant quadruped spider bot, which is cool looking and very powerful (it has great stats and passively adds 2 more tiles to all her combo ranges), but it’s also very cute in the dialogue segments when the giant military bot inquisitively tilts its core block or whatever.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
IDK if I can give up the emoji faces, I've been in the pod for awhile now.

I've had two pretty difficult Dva fights so far. I actually got thrown against an earth dragon when everyone had 150 hp and boy did they buff the dragons since SG I guess. Couldn't land a single debuff!

Think it was possible to just lose that fight though and move on but I toughed it out after an hour of reloading to find a workable strategy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rascyc posted:

IDK if I can give up the emoji faces, I've been in the pod for awhile now.

I've had two pretty difficult Dva fights so far. I actually got thrown against an earth dragon when everyone had 150 hp and boy did they buff the dragons since SG I guess. Couldn't land a single debuff!

Think it was possible to just lose that fight though and move on but I toughed it out after an hour of reloading to find a workable strategy.

Apparently most debuffs’ success rate scales with HP, so maybe it’s better to blitz down an enemy and then land them?

But yeah, I think this game feels a lot easier than Scarlet Grace where even Normal battles made you feel incompetent at the game sometimes, but there’s a lot more working parts (three different races, different subsections within said races, mechanics like monster skills that a better player is gonna have a significant advantage with, more weapons than SG, etc) so I can’t blame them for making it easier, since it’s only easier relative to normal JRPGs and you still kinda have to think at least a little.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mido starting with all kugutsu seems pretty mean, but it's actually a way to ease you into the game. that's what mido being the recommended tutorial character means. it's specifically for combat. there is no particular tutorial for the non-combat mechanics. kugutsu are more limited than other races, so it seems like they have a hard time progressing without party members to copy techs from. and that's true without the soul system. but instead, they get curated access to the tech system without the complications of glimmering. they still get enough techs to play with because of mido's souls. then you gradually recruit more characters with more complex progression mechanics.

it's a huge contrast with d5 throwing you in the deep end with a full party running the gamut of races right from the start.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I definitely appreciate that even the monsters on your team can gain stats rather than them being tied to forms like in the previous games one he series. This also means I can continue my plan of using Meow the cat in my party for the entire play through.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kinda wish there was more to the animations when it came to monster abilities though. I don't really like unleash either. Wolf man in D5 route carried one of my hard fights by being mega tanky (phoenix formation is ridiculously good for sandbagging) but I benched him after that.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Unleash took some getting used to. I actually like it now since you can use it to use a very high BP cost attack for only 1 BP, even if it means losing it.

Showstoppers are absolutely amazing. I only managed to squeak by a brutal difficulty fight by having Bonnie use one and dump 10 BP worth of one in plus glimmering a tech at the end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
right now i'm trying to figure out if spells have to be learned in sequence, or if all the spells in a certain element are in a pool. the difference being that for the former, i need to spam the latest spell of that element and for the latter i could instead cast a useful spell instead. i'm not too worried about the detailed mechanics, just what i should be doing to get more spells at all.

buff spells cap at level 3, and they reach that level very quickly. so, not great to use for grinding especially when i'm not sure if it is necessary or useful.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Are these ritgrams supposed to be as easy as they have been? I'm doing delta base stuff as Mido and everything is in place already and the piece I need to place is already selected

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Mike_V posted:

Are these ritgrams supposed to be as easy as they have been? I'm doing delta base stuff as Mido and everything is in place already and the piece I need to place is already selected

I've done at least one that required me to move around the existing tiles instead of just placing the missing ones, but overall they're definitely on the easy side.

The Delta Base ones are trivial to solve, but you can quit out anyway to fail and let the researcher get transformed, which triggers a fight, so I think those ones are more like a thematic dialogue option.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah a lot of the puzzles seem like just another way to obscure choices. Which is a fun way to do it so I am in support.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mike_V posted:

There is like exactly one that might take you more than fifteen seconds. I get the idea of what they were going for with them but they add basically nothing to the game.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The first one I encountered was trying to make the raft with Siugnas in Hero's door and I could not figure it out. Then the rest of them in that questline were extremely easy so it seems the difficulty is all over the place.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Has anyone here been able to do the 2-Star Slugger Mr.S Trial? I swear I've done it multiple times and it refuses to trigger. Is it mistranslated or something and wants 3+ rather than 2+?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Nope, just did it the 2nd time on my 2nd playthrough, so works as intended

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
worked fine for me, too

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Those ones care about the current cost of a skill, not the base cost, so using a 2 star tech while it’s discounted to 1 will fail it.

If that’s not the problem then I’m out of ideas, good luck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hmm, how does one increase five elements skill levels, anyway? there are roles and presumably equipment, though i haven't seen any of the latter yet. but it doesn't increase from battle and you can't train it at mr. s. so does that mean if two characters have equal int and spell damage bonuses, the one with higher base skill in an element will always do more damage with the same spell?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

hmm, how does one increase five elements skill levels, anyway? there are roles and presumably equipment, though i haven't seen any of the latter yet. but it doesn't increase from battle and you can't train it at mr. s. so does that mean if two characters have equal int and spell damage bonuses, the one with higher base skill in an element will always do more damage with the same spell?

It does increase from battle, but idk if it does so without using a spell associated with it. If you dont naturally have a spell of that element there are equipments to equip to give you spells that help for characters that start without one in that element. I'm pretty sure the skill also increases damage, because one of my witches does way more damage with sunlight than the other, and she has the weapon with +5 fire and +2 role. But it could also be their INT difference?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

Those ones care about the current cost of a skill, not the base cost, so using a 2 star tech while it’s discounted to 1 will fail it.

If that’s not the problem then I’m out of ideas, good luck.

The trial specifies "techs" so i also didnt cast spells because I wasn't sure if that would invalidate it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dackel posted:

It does increase from battle, but idk if it does so without using a spell associated with it. If you dont naturally have a spell of that element there are equipments to equip to give you spells that help for characters that start without one in that element. I'm pretty sure the skill also increases damage, because one of my witches does way more damage with sunlight than the other, and she has the weapon with +5 fire and +2 role. But it could also be their INT difference?

really? because i have yet to see it increase even once. that category is not even shown on the battle results stat increase screen.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Has anyone here been able to do the 2-Star Slugger Mr.S Trial? I swear I've done it multiple times and it refuses to trigger. Is it mistranslated or something and wants 3+ rather than 2+?

I had trouble with this one too, and while it's possible my issues were because I'm a moron that can't read numbers good I choose to believe it's because characters using 1 BP techs in an overdrive invalidates the challenge.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I had trouble with this one too, and while it's possible my issues were because I'm a moron that can't read numbers good I choose to believe it's because characters using 1 BP techs in an overdrive invalidates the challenge.

I did have one of my attempts foiled by random skills in an overdrive yeah

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The combat system is for the most part fantastic, but I cannot put into words how goddamned annoying it is when an overdrive triggers and the stupid random ability selection/targeting hits some random enemy with a delay attack you would never use in those circumstances for any reason and triggers a massive enemy combo or showstopper. It can make even having delay moves equipped feel like russian roulette, which is not good feeling at all.

Nearly wiped on an otherwise almost perfect boss fight because my little mole buddy triggered his single delay 2 move at the end of an overdrive and bumped the boss into a showstopper.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

really? because i have yet to see it increase even once. that category is not even shown on the battle results stat increase screen.

You know you're right, I was thinking of the spellcasting skill. I guess elements are just from equipment or roles, or getting it from cats with Ameya

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to upgrade relics, or is having weak weapons the price Wednesday has to pay for having monster skill access?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I eventually just took the weapons off. I did finally realize a nice part of unleash is you can access those skills without putting them on your main tech list. The list is so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

buddychrist10 posted:

The first one I encountered was trying to make the raft with Siugnas in Hero's door and I could not figure it out. Then the rest of them in that questline were extremely easy so it seems the difficulty is all over the place.

I had trouble with this one because I had forgotten you could flip tiles.