Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's really obnoxious how fights are re-rolled when you load a saved game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Finished my first playthrough with Diva 5 at 24 hours. I was very completionist and did every optional world it gave me before visiting the green plot ones, so I think you could do that in a fraction of the time if you went for the objectives. Also, you probably want to do one or two of the green worlds before exploring all the side worlds (unless that locks you out of something?), because the green worlds are where Diva gets to open up her locked equipment slots.

Shoutouts to this tiny mole baby for being mvp of the team. Surprisingly high damage, cheap stuns and defense drops, and the option to unleash a big hit for 1 bp was really valuable, especially against the final boss. Anti-shoutouts to Blath for taking a nap while the rest of the team reattempted phase two of the final boss. I love the idea of ephemerals and she was in my party all game, but the 1 lp is a big downside in that specific situation. Overall the final boss wasn't too bad - definitely the hardest fight in the playthrough by a longshot, but not as bad as max strength Firebringer in Scarlet Grace. Although who knows, maybe Emerald Beyond also has the final boss change difficulty based on unrelated choices you made 15 hours earlier and I just lucked into getting the 75% strength version this time.

I will say that gear upgrading feels more awkward than Scarlet Grace did. I got everyone's weapons upgraded with Ironstone relatively early on in the playthrough, and then the upgrades just stopped, because you need magical stones for everything and I found two before the final boss. Maybe there's a trick to it, or maybe it's different in NG+, or maybe the game is just balanced around your weapons plateauing early on (enemies didn't feel too tanky even at the end) but it was kind of disappointing, especially since no new weapons meant no new mech skills to play with.

Excited to see how things play out differently in a second playthrough though. Probably doing Ameya next, I like mages in Scarlet Grace and didn't get to play with any in Diva's playthrough.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
The tips menu says a character needs at least 1 point in an element to learn new spells. Does anyone know if this is before or after gear? Like if I give Tsunanori fire skill boosting equipment with spells attached, could he then learn spells from them permanently even though his base fire skill is 0?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

atholbrose posted:

I had trouble with this one because I had forgotten you could flip tiles.

Oh knowing you could do that probably would have helped lol. I thought you could only rotate them!

My biggest frustration with the battle system is when I set a character to use a counterattack and it doesn't activate because they dodged instead.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It feels like leveling up trading not only adds slots but increases chance to get rarer stuff?

Snake Maze posted:

I will say that gear upgrading feels more awkward than Scarlet Grace did. I got everyone's weapons upgraded with Ironstone relatively early on in the playthrough, and then the upgrades just stopped, because you need magical stones for everything and I found two before the final boss. Maybe there's a trick to it, or maybe it's different in NG+, or maybe the game is just balanced around your weapons plateauing early on (enemies didn't feel too tanky even at the end) but it was kind of disappointing, especially since no new weapons meant no new mech skills to play with.

Yeah my assumption is weapon upgrades are with NG+ in mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest you're not going to be upgrading weapons much at all. The material you need to upgrade weapons more than once or twice tends to be exceedingly rare or something I only found from rewards once I'd maxed out my Trial meter or got my Trade rank way higher. There might be a way to trade for it to get it earlier but it wasn't until like my 3rd or 4th playthrough that I was getting past that.

I generally ended up saving my rarer stuff for the obvious Big Weapons rather than upgrading smaller stuff. A waning about this is that THE DISMAL KING's special weapons don't seem to be retained after his playthrough and cost at least Jewels/Demon Blood to max out (though they end up absurdly powerful) so it's kind of a balance between wanting the super-powerful gear for his adventure vs saving the resources for something you can carry over.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 28, 2024

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I've seen Magic Stones as a Special Trade a few times at Rank 4, but I haven't been able to get them because they're always asking for stuff I'm 2-3 short on. I was kinda hoping at higher BR regular battles would start dropping higher tier materials. Does putting up higher tier gear get better offers I wonder? Mostly I've just been trading like, Leather Armor and Robes and Hoods back and forth to get my Rank up.

I guess it's possible to farm Easy battles (which don't increase BR) for Spirit Stones and Elemental Crystals and trade up from there, but that doesn't seem particularly fun.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
With at least the magic furs and claws its just trading in like normal furs and claws so if someone wanted to they could just grind out red events and then up trade a few times I guess.

I think... magic stone is a similar uptrade with ironstone or whatever?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah, it's usually Ironstone that I've seen. And usually comes up right after I used a few Ironstone for something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

With at least the magic furs and claws its just trading in like normal furs and claws so if someone wanted to they could just grind out red events and then up trade a few times I guess.

I think... magic stone is a similar uptrade with ironstone or whatever?

Yeah, everything has a series of tiers. There's Beast Claw -> Magic Beast Claw -> Great Beast Claw and so-on. You absolutely start getting much easier access to stuff as you level up various things, though. Eventually you'll be able to trade pretty easily for Magic Stones and so-on.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Doing Mido's route gave me like 60+ metal crystals, so I just traded those 1 at a time to get other crystals. It's like a 50/50 of another crystal showing up, so for the upgrades I needed 6 or whatever water/fire crystals for it was fine. I haven't even seen any of the higher upgrade mats tho, so I wonder if those are trade only, or if you need to enable BR carryover to get higher content

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Magical beast claws/furs/etc were common enough by the end. Not super common but I had enough that they weren't the bottleneck. Magical stones I only even saw for trade two or three times, and I could never afford them.

I didn't realize gear carried over to NG+ by default though, so maybe you're just supposed to build up the magical stone tier stuff across playthoughs.

TurnipFritter posted:

I've seen Magic Stones as a Special Trade a few times at Rank 4, but I haven't been able to get them because they're always asking for stuff I'm 2-3 short on. I was kinda hoping at higher BR regular battles would start dropping higher tier materials. Does putting up higher tier gear get better offers I wonder? Mostly I've just been trading like, Leather Armor and Robes and Hoods back and forth to get my Rank up.

Higher tier gear definitely got better offers for me, though I only sold off the random surplus I found so I didn't test it too much. I also got good stuff by offering up high tier materials I had spares of - ray and disk floret would get really good counteroffers and didn't seem to be used by much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really like the trading system. I imagine a lot of people won't because rng yadda yadda, but I feel like its design in a way where I am much more willing to just like dump stuff I don't need and its always neat to see games do stuff other than the simple like, go to a shop stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

The tips menu says a character needs at least 1 point in an element to learn new spells. Does anyone know if this is before or after gear? Like if I give Tsunanori fire skill boosting equipment with spells attached, could he then learn spells from them permanently even though his base fire skill is 0?
I think so, this is how I taught someone holy water who had 0 in water.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

skipped the first door for ameya (said "no thanks" to taking this ski lift up and down the mountain over and over) and saw credits in an hour and a half :confuoot:

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Rascyc posted:

I think so, this is how I taught someone holy water who had 0 in water.

Dang (Cripes, Heck) that's not how I would've expected it would work. Thanks!

Also re: trading, I like it so far in theory but in practice I think it involves too much shuffling through menus- which is a weird thing to say about a game that is mostly about doing that, but I'm finding that between trials, trades (incoming and outgoing), and messing with character setups the post-battle routine menu visit is a little too busy sometimes. I usually just skip putting stuff up for trade and quickly scan for any worthwhile offers unless I have, like, 20 samurai swords gathering dust that I want to get rid of.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I had a bit of a weird experience. I played the Steam demo and went through Grelon. At the end, Alexandre turned out to be the Final Emperor. Apparently I never saved after that, so when I opened that save file this morning I had to fight the battle again. And when I did, I got an entirely different scene (the Final Emperor is a ghost who wants to possess Alexandre), even though nothing else had changed. Anyone know if this is RNG, a change from the demo, or something more obscure?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

No clue, Maybe RNG or some other variable? That is something that gets brought up if you went through that are in a certain way in the demo, though I'm assuming from the sounds of it you loaded up the save and redid the final fight so... I have zero clue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

5-Headed Snake God posted:

I had a bit of a weird experience. I played the Steam demo and went through Grelon. At the end, Alexandre turned out to be the Final Emperor. Apparently I never saved after that, so when I opened that save file this morning I had to fight the battle again. And when I did, I got an entirely different scene (the Final Emperor is a ghost who wants to possess Alexandre), even though nothing else had changed. Anyone know if this is RNG, a change from the demo, or something more obscure?

There are at least 4-5 different outcomes for that world and I'm not sure what changes it. It isn't the order you unfreeze people in but I think I got a different outcome every time I went to the world.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

My suggestion for Diva players is to bench her to the support slot until she gets more armament slots. Mechs don't really need to grind since their stats are from equipment. You can keep her mech skill levels up through tutoring and skill ranks can get grinded later on Easy/Normal battles.

Blath went ham against the quantum cat Earth Dragon, who I found harder than the Necronomicon fight. Chained Showstoppers for 3 rounds as the last one standing. :worship:

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2024

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Idk she easily pulled her weight for me early game with some equipment juggling but I think it just depends where you end up going first. I think if I pulled earth dragon in my very first world I might've done something similar to get by.

Blath is a funny one, if it wasn't for the elder passive I would think she sucks cause debuffs feel strongly nerfed to me this time around. I'm on like gen 3 or 4 and still waiting to inherit something cool that makes all the trouble worth it. The provoke breath might be cool though, that is one debuff that is very effective now that I type this. But that elder passive is great soooo

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 29, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are a bunch of pieces of equipment that you can hit LT on and the description changes to a concept. except, it's not concepts i have or that are necessary for upgrading them. what is up with those?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Idk she easily pulled her weight for me early game with some equipment juggling but I think it just depends where you end up going first. I think if I pulled earth dragon in my very first world I might've done something similar to get by.

Blath is a funny one, if it wasn't for the elder passive I would think she sucks cause debuffs feel strongly nerfed to me this time around. I'm on like gen 3 or 4 and still waiting to inherit something cool that makes all the trouble worth it. The provoke breath might be cool though, that is one debuff that is very effective now that I type this. But that elder passive is great soooo

My first world was the warring nations door, which gives you Simon, who at the time was the strongest combat mech companion and mech frame so Diva went straight to the bench

Delta Base is the first world for those who continued their PC demo save. My party's average HP is in the 450s and Diva only has 5/6 slots because I've been doing the blue/optional worlds before the green/progression worlds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh. kugutsu can learn techs from enemies.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ran through ameya again and had 4 worlds to do this time, did all of them, filled the pot but didn't recover all her magic (???), same ending as the short run :shrug: alright

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I had no problem using Diva straight from the start. She's not really notably weaker than random humans until they have time to grow and glimmer, and by the time they do she's caught up through plot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Decided to play SaGa 1/Final Fantasy Legend 1 for a bit on a whim and having only played SaGa 2 in the past these mechanics are weird. Not, like bad weird, but I didn’t expect LP to be a thing this early since nearly all the games that have it heal you to full after every fight. Espers just mostly seem better than humans though after the early hump of needing an agility weapon for them since they seem to gain stats at a decent pace, but maybe humans catch up once their steroids are cheaper?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Emerald Beyond: When I first went to the multiverse map I saw one of the green icons Diva scanned for had three exclamation marks instead of one. What’s the significance? I assumed it might be a harder world so I picked another one.

Last Celebration posted:

Decided to play SaGa 1/Final Fantasy Legend 1 for a bit on a whim and having only played SaGa 2 in the past these mechanics are weird. Not, like bad weird, but I didn’t expect LP to be a thing this early since nearly all the games that have it heal you to full after every fight. Espers just mostly seem better than humans though after the early hump of needing an agility weapon for them since they seem to gain stats at a decent pace, but maybe humans catch up once their steroids are cheaper?

Humans can more than catch up in that game, because the stat cap is actually 255 and not 99 - and they can steroid themselves well above the 99 limit that other races actually get capped at. (Don’t get too close to 255, the value will roll over if you push too high). HP can also similarly go above 999 but that’s a lot of menuing for anemic rewards by then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hmm, i've been trying to fight valkyries who use a combination of longsword and greatsword techs but it doesn't look like kugutsu can mimic them? really the only enemy i've gotten them to mimic was the tower lords in yomi. especially wrath, who you have to fight a bunch of times and knows the majority of greatsword techs. maybe despite using weapon techs valkyries don't count because they aren't a playable race? weird heads aside, the lords were just humans.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Valkyrie have monster versions of sword techniques, I think. Kugutsu may not be able to mimic them but monsters can absorb them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hmm, i've been trying to fight valkyries who use a combination of longsword and greatsword techs but it doesn't look like kugutsu can mimic them? really the only enemy i've gotten them to mimic was the tower lords in yomi. especially wrath, who you have to fight a bunch of times and knows the majority of greatsword techs. maybe despite using weapon techs valkyries don't count because they aren't a playable race? weird heads aside, the lords were just humans.

those fights rocked. punishing this rear end in a top hat mancow over and over

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tortolia posted:

Emerald Beyond: When I first went to the multiverse map I saw one of the green icons Diva scanned for had three exclamation marks instead of one. What’s the significance? I assumed it might be a harder world so I picked another one.
I think it's just the game's way of giving you a reliable next destination. I've only ever seen these once, near the beginning of routes. I know in Dva's case, Delta Base gives you a very nice foothold into the game, without much stressing (although I suppose it is possible to trigger the brutal fight in there) while showing off much of how the game is structured.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 29, 2024

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

This may be obvious to most, but just in case:

the order of you giving input matters in terms of prioritizing who gets moved where in the timeline

let's say the timeline looks like this: P1 E P2 P3 (P=Party members, E=Enemy)

if you want all 3 of them to combo but P2 and P3 only have moves that move them to the left 1 tile, you want to input P2 first before P3

pretty straightforward in this example, but remember this when you try and push the timeline exactly to your liking, especially when you take off "basic attack" moves from your movelist where it defaults to a different move with tilemovement, because the enemy might be "pushed" off its intended tile without you realizing.

Also worth mentioning that spells have vastly different tilemoves too, if you need to situate yourself very far away. For example when a maelstrom is being queued by the enemy (this hits everyone to their "right" aka after them)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I think it's just the game's way of giving you a reliable next destination. I've only ever seen these once, near the beginning of routes. I know in Dva's case, Delta Base gives you a very nice foothold into the game, without much stressing (although I suppose it is possible to trigger the brutal fight in there) while showing off much of how the game is structured.

Got it, thanks. I decided to investigate triangles instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i finally established that new spells don't require a specific previous spell. the rng was being incredibly unkind, is all. i suppose a particular spell could glimmer a subset of that element's spells but not all of them, but there's no way for me to know for certain without grinding out a complete set using only a single spell. but as far as i can find, the complete spell list isn't even available yet.

i suppose the unsequenced spell learning is necessary, as you don't permanently learn spells from equipment. so the process is to equip an item that grants a spell, use that until you glimmer a second spell, remove the item, and then use the second spell until you glimmer the first spell. it's a bit unintuitive. but while you can add elemental skill level via equipment and roles, there's not much point in developing an element on a character with a natural zero in that skill.

with training and stat growth catchup, there's really no harm in dabbling in spells with any non-mech character. it's a matter of priority, not specialization. the only limiting factor is the tech/skill equip slots. it's a pity it takes so long to learn the good support spells, though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The tip screen seems to imply it's as simple as use spell from the element and you now have a % chance of learning any spell from that element. Chance to learn spell increases as as your skill / int / element levels rise. I assume that's where it gets complicated but it seems they've simplified all the glimmer trees too so I'd like to think magic ended up in the same boat.

Having said though I've had a caster with level 6 element / 40+ int and a skill level of 15 and spamming a single spell and the learn rate was still extremely glacial. I just assumed I was unlucky. I did manage do the hairpin -> holy grail with someone who had a 0 but I must have been hella lucky because I've yet to see it repeated. I stopped trying to pursue that endeavor because I'm so late in my current playthrough.

Dackel posted:

Also worth mentioning that spells have vastly different tilemoves too, if you need to situate yourself very far away. For example when a maelstrom is being queued by the enemy (this hits everyone to their "right" aka after them)
Thankfully there's accessories that moves your position when chanting which makes combo'ing with them a lot easier this time around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasn't sure if it was any spell in that element because i couldn't get a third spell on two different casters despite a lot of grinding. but nah, it's just rng.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
yeah but it would not surprise if there's some RNG adjustment based on BP cost or some poo poo, who knows

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If nothing else it seems a bit more intuitive than the weird spell tier learning restrictions from Scarlet Grace, where you needed specific elemental staff types to learn specific elemental magic or even staves dedicated to up or down ranking your spell tier learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's probably some formula that weights element level, int, spellcasting level, and some random loving thing you'd never guess for learning each specific spell. i mean, this is a game that colors the wood skill blue and the water skill black. i'll leave the details to the dataminers.