Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: May Judgements! :siren: wow i'm late, sorry

Third Place, 1 point: moths

The blends on both the grime and the plasma coils are just terrific here. Excellent use of OSL techniques, as well as dirtying up the shinguards on this titan. All this on top of a bright, eye-catching color scheme really help sell the scale of this model.

Second Place, 2 points: Galaspar

If we don't somehow get an ongoing series of posts about the grimdark adventures of these surly ruffians, I'm going to be very disappointed. The blends and contrasts work so well with this crew, really bringing out the character and life in these models.

First Place, 3 points: with a rebel yell she QQd

The blends and contrasts here are just top notch; a hell of a way to start this round of contests. The transitions over the smooth and rounded surfaces are so subtle, I almost missed the exceptional line work on surfaces like the wood grain and shield device.

Bonus Point: Zark the Damned

Nailing those blends right out of the gate on the scabbards and plumes, plus those garish color schemes are impossible to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: June Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: TotalHell

Gross. I mean that in the most complimentary way possible, of course. These chaos dudes look nasty, grimy, and fleshy, and combined with the grime from the weathered base over the hazard stripes, they're great fun to look at.

Second Place, 2 points: ape!!!

...You set up this sequence intentionally to shock your viewer, didn't you? Well, it worked: your models this month are shockingly good. Excellent use of bright, saturated colors and smooth blending make these weirdos look lively and full of mischief.

First Place, 3 points: Lord Hypnostache

The whole set is top notch, but the daring colors on this squad of warriors is just amazing. Without straying too far outside of the washed-out, desaturated look you have for all your vamps this month, these particular baddies misunderstood antiheroes really draw the eye and show real dynamic action in their poses.

Bonus Point: with a rebel yell she QQd

This is some excellent work, you've really brought out the character of these various mutants and weirdos. The woodgrain in particular is very subtle and striking, and contrasted with the somewhat startling flesh tones it really grounds these models.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: July Judgements! :siren: and another month where i wish i could give everyone points 'cos there's just so much great stuff in here

Third Place, 1 point: Galaspar

The contrasts on these guys are just fascinating; you've taken a palette of bright primary colors and given them a washed-out, almost chalky appearance. The overall effect is of dust, poor upkeep, and general weariness; it's nicely grimdark, despite the brash colors.

Second Place, 2 points: with a rebel yell she QQd

So much Blanchitsu in this work, once again! All these medieval jerks are terrifically detailed, but the guy with the flamberge really holds up as the centerpiece. The reds and yellows really pop in the gloom, and you've done excellent work on his face. The metals have a greasy gleam that ties the whole model together.

First Place, 3 points: moths

Some incredible detail on this warband, and that bear-serker is a real standout. The chipping and weathering on the shields, the overall grimy feel, and the muted color palette that still leaves room for some bright color...this really sparks the imagination. You can almost hear the battle cries.

Bonus Point: Ugleb

The very desaturated color scheme really helps sell how sun-bleached and decrepit this house is, while also allowing the blacklining to stand out on the sharper details that give it definition. Nice work!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: August Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: with a rebel yell she QQd

Gotta love old school GW elfs; they look like such assholes. Your work on these models really brings out those qualities; the highlights and contrasts in the cloth play off well against the glinty metals, and you can just sense the haughtiness coming off of them (especially that guy on the left).

Second Place, 2 points: Zark the Damned

Pretty well done for a mass paint job, but the hero with the red-hot hammer is just :chefkiss:. That mausoleum is a particular standout as well; you've really captured the cold hard feel of the stonework, and it's a nice counterpart to the heat from the big guy's weapon.

First Place, 3 points: Ashcans

These Sisters are fantastic! Nice color scheme to their cloaks, which really sets off the scuffed-up weaponry and draws the eye to the model at the same time. Your edge highlighting really works well here, and makes the models look nicely aggressive. Ice cool blue meets meltaguns, I like it.

Bonus Point: Ugleb

That Cad Bane is great, but these ramshackle combat buses are just ridiculous. Excellent highlighting and metals, and the weathering is really well executed.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: September Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: Galaspar

Just tons of character in these guys. A nice bright color scheme to offset the grimdark, makes the whole tableau seem almost cartoonishly amusing. The nonplussed look on the pistol-wielder's face really sells it. (I love that...what is that, a servo-skull parking meter on the right? Some kind of rent-a-relic?)

Second Place, 2 points: Lord Hypnostache

It's not so much the gore here, as the potential for gore these Flayed Ones represent. Excellent contrasts, and the muted colors make them appear camouflaged--giving the impression of a lurking threat waiting to strike.

First Place, 3 points: ape!!!

Speaking of cartoons and bright colors, these villains look fresh from the pages of 60's and 80's Marvel comics respectively. Carnage is vivid, bloody, and very well-defined and blacklined; and the Goblin just looks like he's having a super time. Excelsior!

Nice partizan. Really, all the models in this grimdark fantasy set are neat, but the guy with the polearm stands out. Excellent deep contrasts as usual, playing against the bright primaries of the cloth and plumes. These soldiers look ready for action.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: October Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point:  Lord Hypnostache

These troops, despite being dead, have tons of character and a sense of purpose to them.  The muted color scheme helps sell their dead-ness, but you put a lot of emphasis on the contrast between the dessicated fleshtones and the corroded armor.  The overall feeling is one of menace.

Second Place, 2 points:  Zark the Damned

On the opposite end of the undead spectrum, we have this necro-crew straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon.  The cool and earth tones of the scenery and clothes are excellent contrast to the goofy poses, fluorescent-glowing magic, and sharp lines on the figures themselves.  You've really captured a sense of fun with these models.

First Place, 3 points:  with a rebel yell she QQd

One of the things I enjoy about old school Warhammer Fantasy is how much character the models have, and these two pieces are striking examples of that.  The shading, bright cloth and dingy metals are great for selling the grimdark, but it's the faces that put these gunners over the top.  You get a sense that these are nobles leading their vassals into battle.

Bonus Point:  Ugleb

Love a good Vault!  The pools and the hulk of dead car are great, but the rusted-out nature of this Vault door is probably my favorite piece of the set.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: November Judgements! :siren: sorry it's a bit late, holidays and all

Third Place, 1 point: Zark the Damned

That tank top is so awesome and so very movie-accurate. Your Jack Burton nicely captures his smugness from the movie as well. The colors really pop, and the folds in the cloth are subtly highlighted for a dash of realism.

Second Place, 2 points: Moths

Loath as I am to "like" anything WWII-German-related, these vehicles are pretty sweet. The tanks are extremely well detailed; excellent edge highlighting and weathering. But the motion blur on the planes' props is what sets this display apart (that and the kill tally on the rightmost plane).

First Place, 3 points: ape!!!

Now this is an adventuring party worth its salt, and you've really captured the character in all these models. The elderly swordsman is a particular standout with the freehand on his shield, but all of them have fantastic detailing, really strong contrasts, and an eye-catching mix of dull and vibrant colors. (Plus the characters look fun. Wanna party with Tetanus Boar.)

Another set of Old World dudes, and once again you've really captured the essence of these models. The griminess against the bright cloth really sells that these musketmen have Seen Some poo poo.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: December Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: ape!!!

That Venom has a real sense of strength and power. Excellent shading (and avoiding pure black, comic-book-colorist style), and the additional material looks great in the scene, especially the torn bit of Spidey's costume (which looked like a part of the original model before I went back & compared to the pledge pics). Nice work!

Second Place, 2 points: TotalHell

It's nice seeing a group shot like this, especially with this much detail in the work. In particular, the glow effect from the plasma coils is nice and eye-catching against the backdrop of black armor and red dusty earth. Nice contrasts and highlighting/shading all around.

First Place, 3 points: Ashcans

I would never have had the patience to pull off this much detail work on those feathers, but you really make it pay off. Good shine to the metals, excellent blending & contrast on the wings (both the Stormcast's and their bird's), and just an overall really nice job on what sounds like a frustrating sculpt.

Bonus Point: moths

Nice work on the WIP pics, and these closeups really do this dread justice. Good plasma coil work (I actually thought that was a clear fluorescent plastic pipe at first), and a fun griminess near the base.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: January Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: moths

The details on these tanks are really nice, but it's the reeds on the lower right tank that really sell "tall grass camo." Excellent contrasts on a limited color palette, great lining, and that weathering looks like these rolled out of a bog just long enough ago for the residue to start clumping.

Second Place, 2 points: Galaspar

Really nice work on these models! The robot in particular is a standout, but elements of that piece--weathering, shading, some subtle OSL--are in place on the other models as well. The bright primary colors work really well as a contrast against the grunginess.

First Place, 3 points: Ugleb

This squad of masked musketeers is just so flamboyant (especially the Renaissance man on the right). Really nice and varied color schemes, and the shading on the clothes are subtle enough to make them look soft. The detail work is great too (especially the stripes on the pirate's pants).

I suppose one way to disguise yourself is "be almost completely invisible." Using a limited palette of blcks and metallics, you give real texture and sharpness to these wraiths, and they have a palpable sense of malice as a result.

...Also, consider this my formal application to judge next season! I love this stuff, and I love seeing peoples' works. The one problem I have with the oath thread is I can't give out X prizes (where X=everyone posting their work).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: February Judgements! :siren: 

Third Place, 1 point:  TotalHell

Running the opposite direction from the "shiny" theme of the month, this 'jack looks like it should be up on cinder blocks in someone's yard, such is the extent of its rust.  Really terrific weathering effects, great highlights and shadows, and a base that looks so muddy I'm concerned it'll slip and fall over.

Second Place, 2 points: moths

Look at that shine!  The gems draw the eye with their deep contrast, and the metallics are varied and rich, with excellent edges and a burnished feel to the brass pauldrons.  Contrasted against the smoothness of the cloth, this is some very impressive work.

Somehow managing to find shininess in the grim darkness of the far future fantasy realms.  The contrasts and shadows on these soldiers are again a great strength, but the metallic accents seem all the brighter against the muted backdrop.  The intense edge highlighting on these faces also really captures the eye.

Bonus Point:  Ashcans

This is some very impressive detailing on this fighting kit.  The dull iron of the walking-cathedral armor is a really nice counterpart to the sky-blue tabard, and the metallics look impressively dulled from battle.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: March Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: with a rebel yell she QQd

The weathering on this terminator is top-notch, really solid work. I especially like how it contrasts subtly with the black of the armor as it fades up, but also more strongly with the glinty metallics and the brilliant white & red livery.

Second Place, 2 points: Grizzled Patriarch

This dude looks fresh from spending about sixty years in a bog. The weathering isn't confined to one type; the coppery bits have a thick verdigris patina, where the other metals look fairly caked with mud and grime. Topping it all off is that perfectly polished white skull, which lends a delightful comic feel to the whole piece.

First Place, 3 points: Galaspar

These plaguemarines are intimidating as all hell, and sporting a paint job to match. The term "Blanchitsu" gets slung around every once in a while on these forums, and these models have that quality in spades; very grimdark, with excellent deep shadows and bright edge highlights. The metals appear greasy and rusty by turns, and the whole group looks oddly like it could've been drawn as a woodcut or in the margins of a 40k faction codex. (Nice Nurglings as well.)

Bonus Point: Ashcans

Okay, now I want some animation studio to cook up The Baba Yaga Mysteries. Picturing this house trouncing across the countryside while an ancient Slavic witch and her faithful talking mutt bust Old Man Jenkins' schemes has given me a chuckle. (Also the color scheme is really bright, eye-catching, and nicely set off by the detail work and the weathering; the broken windowpanes in particular are a nice touch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:razz: April Judgements, only slightly late! :imunfunny:

Third Place, 1 point:  Galaspar

For a Chaos band whose main color scheme is "bare metal," these dudes turned out delightfully colorful. Excellent use of OSL in multiple ways, and a nice variety of different colors across the troops, making each of them a distinct character and instantly recognizable. Your skill at depicting various forms of grimacing faces is really top-notch, which makes the gang even more fun to look at.

Second Place, 2 points:  Zark the Damned

All your models are full of character, but this one is just an excellent conversion. From Goblin King to demon prince is a hell of a promotion, and you pull it off using an unexpected set of contrasting colors: cool, unnatural and mottled blue of the skin is set off nicely by the reddish-gold of the metallics. The mottling makes the skin seem almost natural despite its weird shade, and the contrasts and smooth hghlights really set it off. (I like that he seems to have his own 3D glasses.)

Maul is super menacing here, the real standout piece in a very cool pair (the handgunner is no slouch, of course). There's so much red on this model, but it's all different shades and textures, making the whole piece seem unified and almost bichrome in execution. The OSL of the saber blades on the cloth is appropriately muted and softened, and the bone-white on the horns draws our eyes to Maul's angry, angry face. Great way to close out the season!

Bonus Point:  moths

There's something almost Minbari-like about these ships, even though they don't specifically look like fish. I think it's the dorsal fins, which are visually arresting and a wealth of contrasting tones on their own. The camouflage-like pattenrs are well done, and the contrasting orange-and-blue scheme really works well for these.

Thanks to everyone for participating this past year! Yet another year in which I wish I could've given out more points; everyone's efforts were really strong and encouraging. I'll see you in the Season 13 thread!