Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thank you for running this, Zark! The oath threads are basically the only thing that drag me forward into painting my ridiculous backlog, and I hope you know it's appreciated! Thanks also to everyone who judges and the rest of the participants for inspiration. :)

I, Ashcans, oath Imotekh the Stormlord by GW for May 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

Once again my photos are bad, I've had this guy painted for days and getting photos taken is somehow impossible. Claiming A Smooth Transition for the staff head.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Lord Hypnostache posted:

It's a necron lord combo! Oath complete!

Claiming challenge for the staff and glowing orbs.

Sup Skelebro! Nice job on the staff and orbs!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath a Reaper Snakeman for June

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

Probably more pictures than this deserves, a pretty minor project but I have been slammed with work this month. :effort: I am claiming the monthly challenge, as the color scheme and pattern is inspired by the best snakeman ever, according to my kids.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Necron Lychguard and 1 Reaper Bones Grim Reaper for July

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Completely forgot the whole 'posting' thing until the last minute, so here are some bad pictures! :suicide:

Oath complete! And I am claiming the monthly for the Fantasy and Scifi Skelebros.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath three Adepta Sororitas Battle Sisters from GW for August

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

Claiming the monthly theme for the Meltagun.

Trying to improve my photos!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 2 Adepta Sororitas Repentia for September

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

oath complete!

I was going to add some splattered blood for the theme but when it came to it I just wasn't feeling it. :shrug: I had fun painting these; my battle with always taking lovely pictures continues.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Dr. Gargunza posted:

First Place, 3 points: Ashcans

These Sisters are fantastic! Nice color scheme to their cloaks, which really sets off the scuffed-up weaponry and draws the eye to the model at the same time. Your edge highlighting really works well here, and makes the models look nicely aggressive. Ice cool blue meets meltaguns, I like it.

Wow, thank you! I've been really enjoying painting the new Sisters models, they're fantastic compared to the old ones (which were 20+ years old, so fair), and wanted to use my own scheme so that I didn't feel locked in to any of the major orders. I'm glad to hear you like it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, Oath 3 Reaper Miniature Grave Minions for October

Pumpkin-head guys stealing gravestones? Seems right for Halloween!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath complete

Here are some spooky guys for Halloween!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one GW Ork Mek for November!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

Getting some pictures in at the last minute here:

Claiming the monthly challenge for the freehand camouflage on his gear!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Age of Sigmar Stormcast Eternal Knight-Venator for December

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

I cannot claim the monthly because I completely forgot about it and didn't take any pictures in the process, which is a shame because I hosed up these wings like three times and redid them multiple ways before giving up here, so that might have been interesting! I fail this monthly challenge every year.

Happy New Year!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Ork Deffkopta for January

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Electric Hobo posted:

Second place, 2 points: Ashcans

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:siren: December Judgements! :siren:
First Place, 3 points: Ashcans

I would never have had the patience to pull off this much detail work on those feathers, but you really make it pay off. Good shine to the metals, excellent blending & contrast on the wings (both the Stormcast's and their bird's), and just an overall really nice job on what sounds like a frustrating sculpt.
Thank you both so much! I really felt like I had to fight this model to get it to where I was comfortable calling it 'done', so it means a lot to have it noticed. Sometimes you spend a lot of time with something and at the end it's hard not to see all the mistakes and shortfalls glaring at you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Other reason I was coming to the thread, to say... oath complete!

For the month's challenge, Orks generally don't believe in camouflage, and even Blood Axes (the sneakiest of Orks) have a fairly dubious grasp of the concept. So when a Deffkopta pilot tries to make his ride blend in... he decides to daub it with some nice explosions so the enemy won't be able to see it coming through all the Dakka in the air! This is sure to work, and if it doesn't, at least he hasn't compromised the red paint job too much.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Adepta Sororitas Paragon Warsuit for February

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

[]b]Oath Complete[/b]

My battle with photography continues, as these seem to have ended up somewhat overexposed here. It didn't look wrong on the camera! Oh well. I am claiming the monthly for the metallics on this nundam.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TotalHell posted:

This is one of those threads that has a small group of regular users, but which I personally find extremely helpful. This thread has basically been THE reason for me to get through my backlog and paint a bunch of primed minis that would just be sitting around. It also means that my skill has improved as a result, which feels good.

If anything, I would hope we could encourage folks in other threads to get in here and oath. The more the merrier, imo.

I agree, I know we have dwindled over time but the thread is very helpful to me in actually getting anything done, especially if I am feeling stuck on my projects it gets me to pick something else up from the backlog and just paint. I really appreciate the work that goes into managing it and judging, and I would understand if people want to scale that back but I would really want to keep the thread going in some way!

Also reminding people that it exists in some of the other miniature threads might not be a bad idea.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

And for this month... I, Ashcans, Oath 1 Reaper Miniatures Baba Yaga's Hut for March!

This is a pretty big piece, I am not sure if I'll manage to get it done but I'll do my best!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

I went with bright colors for this because it's such a big piece that making it all brown-town and drab seemed really overwhelming - lots of houses of this style were actually painted in bright colors, so I opted to do that, but showing signs of wear and neglect. I am claiming the weathering monthly for the wear and tear on the house - I added some vines crawling over the roof because Baba Yaga is too busy cruising in her mortar to do regular maintenance.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, Oath 1 kitbashed Adepta Sororitas Palantine for April

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

oath complete!

I am claiming the monthly challenge, as this Palatine is kitbashed from the parts from several different Sororitas kits.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Electric Hobo posted:

Bonus, 1 point: Ashcans

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Bonus Point: Ashcans

Okay, now I want some animation studio to cook up The Baba Yaga Mysteries. Picturing this house trouncing across the countryside while an ancient Slavic witch and her faithful talking mutt bust Old Man Jenkins' schemes has given me a chuckle. (Also the color scheme is really bright, eye-catching, and nicely set off by the detail work and the weathering; the broken windowpanes in particular are a nice touch.)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Bonus Point:  Ashcans

This is some very impressive detailing on this fighting kit.  The dull iron of the walking-cathedral armor is a really nice counterpart to the sky-blue tabard, and the metallics look impressively dulled from battle.
Thank you for these! The house was a big project, I rarely paint anything that large. There are always great results in the thread so it means a lot when something gets noticed. I appreciate it!

Also, thanks to everyone who participated in the thread, both organizing/judging and painting, this keeps me chipping away at the backlog and as slow as I can be I wouldn't make any progress without it! Onward to the new thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That was kind of a nice recap of the year, though! Thanks for the points on my work!