Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i get sort of a Yakuza vibe from it too but that might be because my reference pool is fairly limited

the web of intrigue and long, melancholy conversations do call Yakuza's story scenes to mind, though, minus the constant punch-ups and exploding helicopters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
furries and noir do seem to go together often. this, blacksad, beastars (when it's not being totally loopy), and who could forget chicken police?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGo3312N28A

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gacha made that boy go from Ghibli to Junji Ito

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i said the series reminded me of yakuza but this episode made me think of Tatami Galaxy, albeit not as motor-mouthed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the bit where he ruminates on why he wants this dodo so badly, admits that he’s just sick, and then keeps pulling the gacha anyway was a great summation of that condition

and it’s not just gambling, but the pursuit of ephemeral pleasures in general. this guy is representative of innumerable people who don’t have anything to strive for so they fanatically pursue distractions that are totally inconsequential (mood). it makes gacha seem even more insidious than regular gambling because he can’t possibly gain anything from it beyond the next dopamine tingle

“every time I got something I wanted, it was followed by that word: ‘and?’”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
odokawa is a lonely insomniac with possible psychosis, he is not doing okay

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

11 huh? As in Ditch-11? :thunk:

or "ditch," as in ______"dobu"_______

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mix. posted:

lmao kakihana's downward spiral is gonna explode if this keeps up

dont loving take a loan out from the yakuza to go on what is very obviously some kind of phishing/scam date with a barely 18 year old what the gently caress are you doing

even more pathetically absurd is that girl's manager is buddy-buddy with yano's boss, and may well be catfishing people to make him some cash on the side. which would mean kakihana is taking money from the yakuza so that he can spend it on the yakuza

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 4, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yuki has gotten herself involved in the whole fiasco by helping tanaka (god only knows why, maybe she's his cousin or something). ironically the only member of mystery kiss who hasn't yet been seen conducting shady business is rui

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
imai's brand of stupid has lots of precedent. powerball winners have also posted selfies with their big dumb grinning faces beside their tickets

he's still downright benign compared to imminent catastrophes like tanaka and kakihana. and it's kind of sweet that this little doofus' first and second ideas for his billion yen were "i'm going to spend it on cd's" and "i'm going to make it rain on the nice taxi driver who gave me the numbers"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
big fan of the outro song in this episode, too. some nice springsteen-esque harmonicas

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I mean, that isn't too far removed from pinning your hopes on lottery tickets to buy up idol band CDs, so he's not the only one.

on the other hand imai is almost half kakihana's age and is still smart enough to not borrow money from the yakuza

if his lottery tickets don't pan out he can just go "darn, better luck next paycheck" and not have to worry about some men stopping by for a chat re: his kneecaps and the structural integrity thereof

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm not comfortable making any judgment calls on shirakawa's situation yet because she's almost certainly still lying her rear end off on several key points of her backstory

tanaka though had a grab bag of untreated illnesses/neuroses well before the dodo incident, he would've been headed for disaster even if odokawa hadn't driven by at that exact moment. guy left work that evening screaming at people who weren't there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kung Food posted:

I wonder what the whole game plan for the yakuza is. Use a low level idol to trick a poor schmuck into taking loans from them that he probably can't pay back? Seems kind of risky. They can do the whole kneecap special but they still aren't recouping their losses. Not only that, based on the conversation between manager and Shiho in the cab, Kakihana isn't the only guy she is a honey trap for. Now that I think about it, maybe that's why she and Yuki wear masks, so their marks won't recognize them as idols? Seems like there are more profitable uses of their time and resources.

if shiho is catfishing old guys for yakuza kickbacks (i'm still not totally sure myself, the relation between mystery kiss and the yakuza is still fuzzy) then i don't think she or anyone above her expected kakihana to take out yakuza-backed loans to keep up the lie. all she knows is that she's taking his money, all the loansharks know is they're giving him money, and all kakihana knows is not a single goddamn thing

fits with the show's general coen brothers vibe, of a standard crime story derailed by its participants being far stupider or crazier than average

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
daimon jr is a dark horsemeerkat candidate for biggest idiot on this show, holy poo poo

e: nope, it's still kakihana by a lap

my jaw was hanging open for the entirety of yano's intro, yeahhhh

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 17, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sindai posted:

I can see why they waited for so long to actually introduce Yano. He'd have stolen the show.

Turns out Odokawa has real brain problems. I guess the implication is the body in the harbor is the missing girl and he's just talking to himself in his house, but it's early enough that has to be misdirection. :tinfoil:

he said "now you can't escape" after the news report after the drowned body comes on. was he talking about himself? dobu? the girl? who the hell knows

but one thing i did read elsewhere about the missing girl that she's a dead ringer for yuki of mystery kiss, except the missing girl had her ear pierced. she might have fled because she was sick of participating in MK's scams and yuki was brought in as a body double (hence why imai pointed out how her dancing had gotten worse recently), which means kuroda has tasked one of his subordinates (dobu) with with finding her and another (yano) with handling the sudden gap in MK's roster. i don't think she'd have gotten the cement-shoes treatment if a yakuza bigwig like kuroda was taking such pains to simultaneously find her and keep her disappearance a secret

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
realized that when yano has kakihana tied up and backed into a corner, his background music becomes a trap beat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

That was an incredibly memorable villain introduction. Wow. Wonder what's up with Yano to make him rap everything.

the only thing sick about yano is his flow

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kakihana’s just another schlub who peaked in high school and spends a shiftless adulthood desperately trying to go back

genuinely curious how he thought this little tryst was going to turn out for him though. maybe we’ll find out before Yano starts to lay some fat beats with a tire iron

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems like the only possible out right now is kuroda, he's dobu and yano's boss and seems far more even-keeled than both of them. if he got wind of their dick-measuring contest he'd probably put a stop to it

ironically the only one who knows anything about his involvement in this mess is kakihana, and he's in no position to share

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
odokawa almost definitely gave the girl a ride, since yuki is probably her body double and he remembers picking up someone who resembled her recently (which also causes yamamoto to quietly start panicking)

a third possibility is that he picked her up in his cab but has a normal cat in his closet, though i did read speculation that tanaka plugged odokawa's window because he spied someone moving through the glass and assumed it was odokawa

right now i'd say the balance of evidence favors that he's harboring the girl, the bigger question is why

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kung Food posted:

For being a criminal scumbag Dobu is a pretty solid bro.

half this episode was basically a Yakuza substory

SEKIGUCHI
CAPTAIN OF THE YANO FAMILY
A KURODA FAMILY SUBSIDIARY

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 31, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cainer posted:

This seems pretty likely, think he's doubledipping and is on Yano's take as well?

i think it has more to do with keeping up the lie around his little brother. O.D. is pretty protective/controlling around Y.D., so he'd probably ice dobu if that meant staying in his good graces

for that same reason i'm definitely favoring O.D. as the shooter, the younger brother wouldn't have the balls to pull the trigger that fast or accurately

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

an actual dog posted:

Did everyone who likes Dobu now miss the part where he robs the hippo at the end of the scene? He's right but he's also manipulating him lol

kabasawa incited a mob against him, "found" him in a quiet area with no witnesses, and then did a happy little victory dance with his back turned

he got off easier than someone in his position had any right to

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i would say that kabasawa would've been much worse off if it had been yano instead of dobu, but the translation for the latest audio drama reveals that yano can barely take care of himself without sekiguchi minding him

these gangsters are clown shoes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
odokawa giving off some real "i'm surrounded by idiots" energy in this episode

as for the end-of-episode revelation, i don't know if yamamoto/yano were involved in yuki's death, but rui definitely was. in one of the audio dramas the mystery kiss girls are playing a truth/lie game amongst themselves, and two of the secrets are "i've killed someone" and "i've disposed of a body." next episode's probably going to detail how that happened

my big question is how shirakawa knew odokawa was going to be in that construction yard. the most charitable interpretation is that she's been tailing him ever since goriki went off on his own investigation

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kung Food posted:

She could be the one who put the gps in his cab. I thought it was weird that it would have been Tanaka to plant the tracker because I don't think he has ever been inside the cab and if he had been why play the long game and not shoot Odokawa on the spot? Shirikawa however, has been in the back of the cab before. If it is her she might also be the one who shot Dobu in the leg since she would know they were at the dock and the color on the hand would match. And now that I'm down that rabbit hole maybe she shot the window too, not to threaten Odokawa but taking a pot shot at some intruders who were snooping around. The shooting into an empty room bit always seemed off to me.

i'd say the gps is still tanaka's, because he intercepted odokawa on the highway well after the phone would have died (and in a jacked vehicle no less, which would have taken some planning). maybe shirakawa was able to piggyback off its signal somehow, but that doesn't feel plausible

i can't be the only one who keeps mentally comparing tanaka to carrie fisher's character from the blues brothers, can i

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LostRook posted:

The Daimons are twins, I fully expect that Odokawa spilled info to the wrong one at some point. They seem like the only two that could fool his animal sense. Especially with the constant "Are you secretly smart?" stuff that's been dropped a couple times.

i don't think OD could realistically pose as YD, dude's a prick

on the other hand, because he's a prick, i can definitely see him screening YD's calls and messages from time to time. it's plausible that he intercepted odokawa's tip to his little brother and went down there to deal with dobu himself, so that YD would stop doubting him

either way the daimons are a gigantic weakspot in dobu's plan and would probably be where it failed if odokawa wasn't planning to scuttle it before it even gets that far. it's totally possible that yano sees through yamamoto's ruse, takes the money, falls into dobu's trap, and then everything explodes anyway because one of the daimons snap and put a bullet in somebody instead of going along. operation ODDTAXI is going to be a catastrophe

side note: dobu pausing and then just saying ODDTAXI again when odokawa isn't impressed is probably his most endearing moment. the violent career criminal so badly wanted his little codename to sound cool

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the excellent alternate ED that played over shibagaki and baba's deteriorating relationship is also literally about a comedy duo's breakup

this show's music doesn't miss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqI5ougDNAw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yano's flow is so smooth that he can keep rapping even when he's been interrupted, the dude has got no mercy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
god i hope tanaka sees odokawa holding that eraser

it'd make what's left of his mind shatter like a sugar cookie

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kung Food posted:

Looks like I was right that ditch-11 was Dobu and he gave the eraser to Shirikawa. As the thread already knows the reason there was a bullet left is because someone else shot him at the dock. At this point I think it is probably little Daimon, because the other officers saying maybe he was MIA because he fired his side arm (Which unlike American cops is a huge deal and every bullet needs to be accounted for). Turns out that it was Tanaka that had the phone/bug planted in Odokawa's taxi after all, but what was his connection to Sakura and how did he know to meet her where she was being picked up? Still unexplained how Shirikawa knew to be in the construction yard to save Odokawa from the manager.

if they address those last two points then this show's ending might end up a 10/10, and even if they don't i can't see it dropping below an 8

tanaka's finale was as great as i'd hoped it would be, right from the beginning. his head-turn towards the approaching cab was way too smoothly animated

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Oh my god. Yano stopped rapping.

even better, if the subs are any indication, he tried to get his flow back but just couldn't hold onto it. props to the guy for determination

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I was angry at the last minute dark twist (and I still think they should have done a little more to make feel less like a prank) but then I realized that this could set up a season 2 so I'm okay with it lol

there's definitely not going to be a season 2, that was an ambiguous ending set up well in advance. odokawa had an inkling that sakura was involved in the killing, but did he report it? odokawa knew that sakura got into his car, but can he recognize her without his agnosia? is sakura intending to bump him off too, or just ride his car into the sunset?

JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
LIVIN IN A LONELY WO-ORRLLLD
SHE TOOK A MIDNIGHT TRAAAIN GOOOIN' AAAAA-NYYYYY-WHEEEEEERE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wark Say posted:

The scariest thing is the timeline, too: You can see Sakura carrying the pen/recording device when she hops in Odokawa's Taxi, so at the very least she already attacked Taeko (Yamabiko's Manager/Owner) and is either on the way to or maybe already bumped Giraffe-kun off, so she's either A) In her way out of Tokyo to... well, who the gently caress knows, B) On her way to attack Giraffe-kun or C) In the taxi to try and clean-up her last loose end with our favorite taxi driver. :stonk:

Goddammit, it's been only one day but this ending is still messing with me. In a good and bad way. What the hell.

she also half-jokingly proposed murdering shiho to give her another sympathy bump on her way to stardom

this girl's an eager beaver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my heart goes out to the poor schmucks who have to localize Yano’s dialogue