Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I love that this is a series made up mostly of people having conversations, and yet there is this undercurrent of dread that I can't shake off.

Also Kakihana is 1000% being scammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I went back and rewatched the first episode, and it's really hard to have any sympathy for Kakihana. At first glance he's your average Joe looking for love, but his first scene at the bar shows him trying to match with VERY young girls despite being 40 years old. It's one thing to root for a lovable lug who's in over his head, and another altogether to feel bad for a creepy middle aged man whose grand plan is to bilk the Yakuza by borrowing money from them and hoping they forget about it, and use that money to sleep with a girl 22 years his junior.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Man, having Kakihana call his mother and say good bye was ice cold.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Something I haven't seen commented on yet:

When Dobu and the polar bear yakuza guy are fighting, Odokawa specifically points about how it's in human nature to fight even though to the viewer they are clearly seen as animals. Also, in Kakihana's flashback as a kid the adult figures are clearly human, albeit with the camera only showing them from the neck down.

Does this all imply that Odokawa only began disassociating people as animals starting from adolescence onwards? Perhaps there's something about his imposed isolation that warped his brain growing up that we'll find out more about as Dr. Goriki continues his investigation into Odokawa's background.

I just went back and rewatched the episode. If you check at 12:13, you can see the lower half of his mother's jaw, and it's a monkey jaw identical to Kakihana's.