Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That gacha part would've personally hit harder, but I've have yet to spend anything beyond 5 dollars in FEH since I started playing it again back in December.

Still an awesome episode and I completely understand where it's coming from, tho'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Maera Sior posted:

You forgot Jim Jarmusch and the Coen Brothers.
Oh my loving god, how could I forget Jim Jarmusch?

Especially given how the more "mundane" aspects of the story are emphasized through the "weird/odd" lens the director/showrunner of this seem to be aiming for.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kakihana is legit too loving stupid to live. Like unless the Yakuza group goes down before him, he's thoroughly pooched.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fine. But if anybody else comes in with a funnier thread title, bam, that's out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Imai is a dorky dweeb but at least doesn't seem to be anywhere near the neighborhood as self-destructive as, say, Kakihana with his life-threateningly dumb scheme to keep up appearances for a random girl by getting moolah from the loving Yakuza, or Tanaka and Shirakawa whose lives seem like they went to the tosser before either really had a fighting chance (true, that doesn't exonerate them from all their lovely choices, but still seem like they both had a really lovely lot in life early on).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know what? Fair. There's still a lot about a ton of our charas introduced that we don't know yet, so jumping the gun on this might be reckless.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, Yano. You beautiful rear end in a top hat you. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, I even started feeling it for Yamamoto (Mystery Kiss' mgr fox dude); he wants to keep on doing the idol grift and seems very invested in it despite the Yakuza ties. Also holy poo poo, why is it that the closest to sensible dude we have of the main cast is the Springsteen fan?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Forgall posted:

I feel like people itt are assigning this show a slightly darker tone than it actually has. But we'll see.
Almost everyone from the main cast is, in some way or another, either a Yakuza, in the pocket of a Yakuza, being hunted by a Yakuza (or in the case of the dumbass/tweeting/YT'ing hippo, "hunting" a Yakuza) or Tanaka. Like probably a few members of the cast are going to be alright, but the majority of 'em? SOL&JWF.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

Did everyone who likes Dobu now miss the part where he robs the hippo at the end of the scene? He's right but he's also manipulating him lol
Kabasawa got lucky to basically get the "spanked in the rear end with a Katana" treatment after his little stunts drew unwanted attention towards a drat yakuza and the loving idiot leaves the aforementioned Yakuza unattended. Like yakuza/gangsters/mobsters ain't poo poo you want to emulate/look up to, but as anybody who lives in a place basically run by the mob will tell you, Kabasawa basically snatched Kakihana's "I'm too loving stupid to live" ball and held it to his chest when trying to tie himself with the mob for "share, like and subscribe!" bullshit. Dobu might be a crook, but as far as crooks go, doling out a standard-issue but fairly solid "don't be a loving dumbass, kid" chestnut was downright showing mercy.

Also, while it seems oddly out of place give the type of story this is, there's something deeply satisfying about a street fight that ends with the "smaller" guy beating the crap out of his much more massive adversary.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yano definitely comes across as the type who'd cut someone and not feel an iota of remorse.
I mean, he was laughing his rear end off when Kakihana made his phone call on episode 7 (or was it 8? I think it was last week). Yano is a fun character, but like Dobu he's also a real piece of work.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cainer posted:

And probably the biggest reveal yet, Capoeira's actually pretty strong.
Shirakawa catching Yamamoto like a complete deer-in-the-headlights was a goddamn treat. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

The tapir yakuza boss can't be that bad of a dude with a voice like that.
Probably my favorite case of an actor getting typecast because, even if you've never played the franchise series, everybody knows the deal: Don't mess with the Dragon of Dojima.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This was the one show I've decided to stick up with on a weekly basis. And man has it paid off.

Tanaka losing his one remaining loving marble was probably the one thing I felt coming around the most.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That moment when both Yano and Sekiguchi are with older Daimon and they freak the gently caress out like a combo of :byodood: and :aaa: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" I legit did a spit take. Holy gently caress.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:catstare:

Holy poo poo. Like there's probably a few other shows that might be worth catching up with, but I legit don't think anything is going to top this as AOTY for me. This is basically like in the same ballpark as A Place Further than the Universe, Little Witch Academia or similar shows in that it's A) An excellent standalone show and B) An incredible gateway anime.

Sakura is loving scary, man. :stonk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oddest (but sorta not important) thing, though? Hearing Natsuki Hanae (Odokawa's voice actor; also the voice actor for 9S in NieR Automata and Alm in Fire Emblem, among many many other things) use his "boyish"/more commonly used voice for Odokawa's flashback. I had grown attached to his more moody, sorta "plain" voice for Odokawa, it came as quite a surprise.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lets hang out posted:

ah i'm sure they'll use the last audio drama ep to wrap everything up nic :stonk:
OK HOLY gently caress, WHAT THE poo poo IS WRONG WITH YOU, YUKISAKURA. WHAT DID TAEKO DO TO YOU. ALSO, KID IS A loving DUMBASS HIGHSCHOOLER. :aaaaa:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

Can someone sum up the audio drama?

• YAY! MERRYMAKING AND DRINKING WITH ODOKAWA AND HIS CLIQUÉ OF FUCKUPS AND JERKFACES HE CALLS FRIENDS/ACQUAINTANCES AT THE YAMIBIKO! :cheers:
  • Yamibiko's Manager is closing up shop for the day and whatnot when she hears a knock on the door. :raise:
  • She doesn't check but replies from afar with good ol' Sam-Malone-esque "Sorry, we're closed!" :tootzzz:
  • After the knocking gets more intense, she goes and wonders what's the problem, maybe a missing item, trinket or whatsit, and then you heard a thud. :stare:
  • After Giraffe-kun wonders what the gently caress happened, he hears some steps, he basically hears a threat from a familiar voice, going "You're next, I know where you live and all, dickhead, so do--" HARD CUT OF TRANSMISSION :stonk:

The End!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The scariest thing is the timeline, too: You can see Sakura carrying the pen/recording device when she hops in Odokawa's Taxi, so at the very least she already attacked Taeko (Yamabiko's Manager/Owner) and is either on the way to or maybe already bumped Giraffe-kun off, so she's either A) In her way out of Tokyo to... well, who the gently caress knows, B) On her way to attack Giraffe-kun or C) In the taxi to try and clean-up her last loose end with our favorite taxi driver. :stonk:

Goddammit, it's been only one day but this ending is still messing with me. In a good and bad way. What the hell.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When the motherfucking Dragon of Dojima is feeling down, you help the motherfucking Dragon of Dojima however you drat well can, especially if he did you a solid like he did with our buddy Odokawa.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

he already had enough money to take care of orphans, obviously!

Kung Food posted:

Maybe not so much after his 2 top subordinates got arrested and will be facing hefty jail times.
Yeah, the general tone he took with Odokawa was that, after two of his subordinates got jailed, that he was in a situation where he'd be very unlikely to continue bankrolling the foundation that helped Odo and the Daimons. And, like, 100 million yen (somewhere in the proximity of 900,000 dollars around this, IIRC?) might not be a ton of money for someone on Kuroda's bracket (dude's been a Yakuza for +30 or so years, from the looks of it), but poo poo, it's something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Forgall posted:

I'm surprised nobody (among characters I mean) has any issue with Taeko handing out bugged pen. That seems highly unethical and likely illegal thing to do.
Given that most of the regulars at Yamabiko seem to be misfits of some sort, they're probably all like "Eh, not even the worst/shittiest thing that's happened today"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Shirakawa's whole thing is that, while she does like Odokawa, she was still under Dob's thumb up until very late in the "endgame" so she needs to keep tabs on him for angry Yakuza enforcer #1.