Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

can anyone stop the People's Republic of China's brutal attacks against journalists?

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1382369697568546816

lol this reply

https://twitter.com/wilson6923/status/1382371231782031367

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No worries, we'll be back in a land war in Asia in Taiwan shortly

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The soviets killed 20 percent of the population of Afghanistan and lost quicker than we did, there would be 100k dead troops but we’d still lose in the end

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
*hitler hat on
The way to actually win these kinds of insurgent wars where the enemy combatants just do hit-and-run attacks is to gather the women and children into concentration camps (who don't hide with the fighters) and slowly starve them, publicly. This is how the British were able to defeat the Boer insurgency, they took too many losses fighting them in the bush so they just threatened genocide and the Boer men layed down their arms.
*hitler hat off

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

It’s not all bad, we did get a missive prolonged spike in opioid distribution and abuse after we invaded the country that makes all the opium. oh well!

This didnt happen actually. Similarly, a large increase in terrorist attacks by al-qaida in western china also didnt happen

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

This didnt happen actually. Similarly, a large increase in terrorist attacks by al-qaida in western china also didnt happen

I said that Afghanistan produced all the Opium, but that wasn't entirely true. In the summer of 2001, the Taliban announced they would stop allowing the cultivation of Opium and nearly eliminated the crop. I wonder if something happened in 2001 to change that. Guess there's no way knowing.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
We were able to move krokodile into Russia so not a total lost.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gresh posted:

China will give it a go in 35 years when when they're the world's undisputed superpower. They'll win because they'll just kill everyone there or put them in concentration camps and maniacally laugh at the wailing protests of the third world corporate hellscape that the US has become. This will piss off China and they will impose harsh economic sanctions on the US as they put a fleet of aircraft carriers on patrol near the California coast in a show of force.

nice analysis. not. idiot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

T-Paine posted:

I think my favorite story was when the government ordered some dump trucks or something and was provided non-running vehicles that had to be delivered to the base by tow truck and the contractor claimed it was never specified they needed to be functional

Emblematic of the whole war on terror really

i remember this too. lol.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

i am laughing, halliburtonishly

*Presses the “electrocute troops in the shower” button*

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wher4e's my mountain_citadel.jpg??

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
War isn't about who won or who lost, it's about all the friends you made on the way

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Afghanistan 2 - 0 Britain

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Fuligin posted:

wher4e's my mountain_citadel.jpg??

groverhaus is in virginia

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I don't know if I'd call it a war so much as a colonial occupation.

As far occupations go, it was a tremendous failure. The basic purpose of colonialism is to extract wealth or resources from the colonized people, by force, to enrich the oppressor state. The only thing that America did was burn its own resources (people, political capital, actual natural resources, etc) to enrich a fairly limited section of the ruling class by justifying unnecessary military spending and graft. (Did they secure some oil fields or something? Well poo poo's gone now anyway.)

It was more like one of those Roman forays into German barbarian territory for the sake of a nebulous sense of honour or personal fame for generals than a "war". And even then, the barbarians did actually pose an existential threat to Rome, eventually.

Anyhoo, :d2a:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://twitter.com/VetsAboutFace/status/1382309699849101314

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
It's cool they set the date for September 11, just in case anyone forgot the moment when what was left of our sanity was replaced by xenophobic oorah nationalism and a series of unjustified grifter wars and the prevailing sense that if you criticized any of it you were disrespecting our Troops

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

T-Paine posted:

It's cool they set the date for September 11, just in case anyone forgot the moment when what was left of our sanity was replaced by xenophobic oorah nationalism and a series of unjustified grifter wars and the prevailing sense that if you criticized any of it you were disrespecting our Troops

It's even funnier when you remember Trump was going to host negotiations with the Taliban at Camp David from like 9/09 to 9/14 and every MSM/lib media outlet lost their poo poo because he was 'disrespecting are 9/11 heroes' or something.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

well in return we have assassinated thousands if not tens of thousands of the talibans second in command

second in commands/Bin Laden's right hands

brotha from anatha
Mar 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Homocow posted:

turns out it's hard to win a war against people fighting in a giant network of mountain fortresses

afghanistan's terrain can defeat any earthly army

lol remember when america tried to bomb the poo poo out of tora bora? amazing strategy imo, how'd that turn out?

theyre still doing it, and will continue tio for the next 20 years. the war is far from over, america is just shifting from boots to drones on the ground

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

literally the graveyard of empires lmbo

The Chad afgan record continues

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

reminder that the richest country on the planet went to war with the second poorest country on the planet and lost.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

miniscule12 posted:

reminder that the richest country on the planet went to war with the second poorest country on the planet and lost.

an angry, hurt nation's eyes turn towards Bangladesh and glare

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

miniscule12 posted:

Continuing the great legacy and vision set by Comrade Giap.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

alexander the great conquered afghanistan. Kandahar is Alexandria.

those are tough shoes to fill though.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If they had played as China instead and rushed the nuke this would've been over years ago.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

bedpan posted:

alexander the great conquered afghanistan. Kandahar is Alexandria.

those are tough shoes to fill though.

I build for China

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gresh posted:

well a US soldier said "have some democracy, bitch" before he blew his brains out so I don't think Bin Laden got everything he wanted

lmao did he really

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao did he really

we will literally never know

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao did he really

Nah I think he said "did somebody say mcdonald's"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

insanely pumped that seal team 6 killed a man and mutilated the corpse even after crashing a helicopter

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
breaching the door I do a flying drop kick into the taliban's HQ knocking a jihadi to the ground. i rise and pull out my duel deagles and gun down every terrorist in the room before they can draw a bead on me. as the last body hits the ground i say "and thats how the separation of powers works. bitch"

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

lol failed empire

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Federalist papers 46 bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

bedpan posted:

insanely pumped that seal team 6 killed a man and mutilated the corpse even after crashing a helicopter

Wasn't the guy who mutilated the body a completely separate dude from the one who killed him and just kinda walked into the room afterwards to do it and try to get a book/movie deal out of it?

History is a river, and america is canoeing the poo poo out of it.