Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Dang can you imagine what would be happening in Afghanistan right now if Hillary won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

hobbesmaster posted:

why did the US even give up the Philippines after wwii, we kept guam and samoa for some reason

There’s a good book called “How to Hide an Empire” that talks about America’s retreat from traditional imperialism and the authors contention is basically it was a few things: advances is flight and logistics plus the worldwide military presence meant that it was easy to move anything you needed from somewhere to somewhere else without needing to control a substantial portion of the land route; a notional commitment to set determination along with the discovery that we could easily install puppet regimes to do our bidding while maintaining the fiction of self determination; and fear that maintaining colonial possessions would lead to citizenship and eventually statehood for those colonies full of non-white people, diluting the precious whiteness of America.

So if the traditional argument for maintaining the Phillipines as a colony was access to rubberwood the American response was “why don’t we just put a military base there and install a puppet government that will give us access to their lucrative natural resources and murder all of the leftists instead? Why do all the work of trying to run the place if we just want the stuff and we can buy off enough people with power to make that happen?”

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Weka posted:

Dang can you imagine what would be happening in Afghanistan right now if Hillary won?

picturing a girlboss Taliban where men are subject to sumptuary norms and laws to preserve their modesty

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Weka posted:

It's either turned to glass or Libya 2.0.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Shear Modulus posted:

she's still alive. last i remember she was stumping for hillary in 2016 and said that there was "a special place in hell" for women who didn't support hillary
Wadia’s best friend’s youngest sister was denied a proper burial because for two days they couldn’t douse the flames the allied planes had showered on her tiny body. And all the paper trails that lead to all the roads that lead to all these Basras make it seem like we’re all just “collateral damage” waiting to be happened in some unforeseen Pentagon budget-drill. Today’s Ba’ath regime is just the Red Scare of yesteryear. And I drink myself to sleep because I’m losing faith that any of us will ever amount to anything more than reluctant human subsidies, the moving parts in a death-machine, protesting their complicity, but waiting for somebody else to throw their body on the churning gears. I drink myself to sleep because I’m losing faith that we, here in the Cradle of Affluence can cease this sickening drive for individual strength through state-powers’ swinging fists or that we’ll ever look back and laugh at the irony that is: an atomic murderer is enshrined in Independence, USA while 8000 miles from here (back in the Cradle of Democracy) it’s another banner year for a cottage industry - a ritual at the corner of George and Constantine - as foundries scramble to recast his decapitated monument.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

ram dass in hell posted:

Wadia’s best friend’s youngest sister was denied a proper burial because for two days they couldn’t douse the flames the allied planes had showered on her tiny body. And all the paper trails that lead to all the roads that lead to all these Basras make it seem like we’re all just “collateral damage” waiting to be happened in some unforeseen Pentagon budget-drill. Today’s Ba’ath regime is just the Red Scare of yesteryear. And I drink myself to sleep because I’m losing faith that any of us will ever amount to anything more than reluctant human subsidies, the moving parts in a death-machine, protesting their complicity, but waiting for somebody else to throw their body on the churning gears. I drink myself to sleep because I’m losing faith that we, here in the Cradle of Affluence can cease this sickening drive for individual strength through state-powers’ swinging fists or that we’ll ever look back and laugh at the irony that is: an atomic murderer is enshrined in Independence, USA while 8000 miles from here (back in the Cradle of Democracy) it’s another banner year for a cottage industry - a ritual at the corner of George and Constantine - as foundries scramble to recast his decapitated monument.

You're gonna make me put up that Gaseffelstein video again, watch it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s a good book called “How to Hide an Empire” that talks about America’s retreat from traditional imperialism and the authors contention is basically it was a few things: advances is flight and logistics plus the worldwide military presence meant that it was easy to move anything you needed from somewhere to somewhere else without needing to control a substantial portion of the land route; a notional commitment to set determination along with the discovery that we could easily install puppet regimes to do our bidding while maintaining the fiction of self determination; and fear that maintaining colonial possessions would lead to citizenship and eventually statehood for those colonies full of non-white people, diluting the precious whiteness of America.

So if the traditional argument for maintaining the Phillipines as a colony was access to rubberwood the American response was “why don’t we just put a military base there and install a puppet government that will give us access to their lucrative natural resources and murder all of the leftists instead? Why do all the work of trying to run the place if we just want the stuff and we can buy off enough people with power to make that happen?”

america followed a similar path to athens in its creation of the delian league. establishing a bunch of military/financial networks overseas and using them to control its allies, all the while preaching about its supremacy and freedom until it ran the whole operation into the ground

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Baby lost in chaos of Afghanistan airlift found, returned to family after long ordeal

A taxi driver found the baby abandoned on the ground and took him home to raise as his own.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
That's some first rate police work.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
so do you think the troop gently laid the baby down on the street, or tossed it like an old sandwich

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

why did the US even give up the Philippines after wwii, we kept guam and samoa for some reason

YOLOsubmarine covered it well, but basically it's easier to keep a colony if they don't think they're a colony and you don't call them a colony

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

YOLOsubmarine covered it well, but basically it's easier to keep a colony if they don't think they're a colony and you don't call them a colony

Nice AV. Be a Winner!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Agrajag posted:

i thought military equipment is supposed to be tougher or some poo poo no?

Nah. The military gets ripped off by shady contractors constantly. They have stuff that you can't get in the civilian market, but you're generally better off buying from your local gun store.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zedhe Khoja posted:

so do you think the troop gently laid the baby down on the street, or tossed it like an old sandwich

all the news articles so far are
1. baby given to troop
2. ???
3. found on floor and haven’t we got a heart warming story for you

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Zedhe Khoja posted:

they toss the baby down the infantry line, taking a picture with each troop (keeping only the cutest), the last troop just tosses the baby to the ground

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Zedhe Khoja posted:

who tf tosses a perfectly good old sandwich on the ground??

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

someone who finds out it has mayo

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Shear Modulus posted:

someone who finds out it has mayo

mods????

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ram dass in hell posted:

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

petit choux posted:

You're gonna make me put up that Gaseffelstein video again, watch it.

which? Pursuit?

https://youtu.be/oRSijEW_cDM

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoN5k1oZYrk

Weka
May 5, 2019

Any hot tips for good charities for feeding afghanis?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Weka posted:

Any hot tips for good charities for feeding afghanis?

(USER WAS PUT ON OFAC SDN LIST FOR THIS POST)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Zedhe Khoja posted:

No one told you to pick up that baby marine

Weka
May 5, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON OFAC SDN LIST FOR THIS POST)

I'm ok with that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

No one told you to pick up that baby marine

He's not a baby marine just because his parents handed him over.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
thats actually how the marines recruit now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zedhe Khoja posted:

https://youtu.be/QHQPFWWHyMU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Thread correctly predicted what happened in two days, but just to close the loop here:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1485896833666887680

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“returned fire” should be “opened fire”

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone shot was posthumously designated an enemy combatant

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
They found a female gynecologist in Afghanistan they had interviewed a few years ago and did a before-and-after interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww-sJV7KyU0

Weka
May 5, 2019

Seems pretty out of date. About a third of provinces have girls secondary education currently and they Taliban have finally given a date for the rest of them, March. Inshallah.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/17/taliban-says-will-open-all-schools-for-girls-across-country

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Meanwhile the West is still stealing all the Afghan government's funds and inducing a massive famine.

Not to be confused with the famine the west has induced in Yemen.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Meanwhile the West is still stealing all the Afghan government's funds and inducing a massive famine.

Not to be confused with the famine the west has induced in Yemen.

Crazy how everyone cared so much about women's rights and freedom a few months ago that they wanted to bomb some dams and weddings in perpetuity, but now sending food and allowing the country to have their own finances doesn't even register on the give a poo poo scale.

I remember arguing in the Canadian politics thread maybe 10 years ago about why we were even in Afghanistan and the bullshit response was nation building. Well then why the gently caress are we bombing dams and infrastructure, why aren't we building roads and schools, and of course there's no answer because it's bullshit from the start. Ten years later they're in a horrific famine

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Material conditions in the lives of women do not matter. The only form of injustice is when the government says you can't do something

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sleep with the vicious posted:

Crazy how everyone cared so much about women's rights and freedom a few months ago that they wanted to bomb some dams and weddings in perpetuity, but now sending food and allowing the country to have their own finances doesn't even register on the give a poo poo scale.

Meanwhile, China did send food aid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“nation building” means building a white liberal nihilism state

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
one of the many reasons i have my current username is reading about cuba's involvement in angola, and how they sent over as many doctors as soldiers, and built dams for free. Cuba's foreign involvements are what most western countries only pay lip service to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

euphronius posted:

“nation building” means building a white liberal nihilism state

I'm pretty sure it means oil derricks and cadmium mines, op.