Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I did not super-press the gear onto that shaft; I was cognizant of the fact that everything comes out the other side. There’s a c-clip that holds everything in that direction and it seems (to me) like that would have issues before the bearings.

My best guess is that the gear is damaged. He just bought this thing with a bad pump that was possibly run out of fluid more often than not for the last few years. He’s only driven it a few miles since he got it to town and every time he checked the fluid was empty. I did notice some wear on the gear teeth but it seemed even throughout. I think either the gear was damaged from an unknown amount of driving on a wobbly pump or we distorted it when torquing to spec in the vise. I wrapped it in rags but I now see people suggest wood, which makes a lot of sense since the teeth would dig into the wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
If the gear is dead its or its neighbors bearings are dead meaning you're digging into this sucker.
I don't know this engine, hopefully it has a gear cover like most rationally built engines that exposes the entire geartrain when removed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's always the million dollar question of "What else should we do while it's apart?" - gaskets, seals, guides, gears. $$$$

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

cursedshitbox posted:

If the gear is dead its or its neighbors bearings are dead meaning you're digging into this sucker.
I don't know this engine, hopefully it has a gear cover like most rationally built engines that exposes the entire geartrain when removed.

It’s probably cheaper to get an entire 1FZ engine than the parts to replace the front timing gear assembly!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

Whittier itself is weird, it’s known as the ‘town under one roof’ because everybody lives in the same building. That’s pretty much the whole town:

This American Life had a story about that town.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/555/the-incredible-rarity-of-changing-your-mind

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Whittier is bizzare and I love visiting it. I wonder how the abandoned tower there looks now, been years since I poked around it last.

I love looking at Zillow listings for the occupied tower. There was an amazing 1970s time capsule furnished unit for sale for months and months.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I need to do updates more often; we’ve had a few new projects happen around here.

First, though, an update on that power steering pump: I have no update. He’s been running it and it’s been fine. I would tear it back down and replace the gear, personally, but it’s not my vehicle to make that call.

After the shop was clear I decided to rearrange the shelving. The motorcycle and snowblower can swap seasonally for the spot by the door so I mixed it up for better access to everything else.

Before:

After:

The chest freezer is a spare for sudden influxes of frozen goods (game meat or lots of fish), so doesn’t need regular access but does need to be easy to get out and move to the garage.

After that we resealed the driveway. I rented a power broom and it took four hours to scrub the moss off, then 9 hours with the pressure washer before doing two coats of sealant. First coat took 85 gallons because our asphalt was really bad, second coat (on our 11th anniversary) only took 50 gallons.

For some vehicle content, I was running to the hardware store for something on the driveway project when I spotted a friend towing his boat home. Then the trailer started blowing black smoke. This is not the angle trailer tires should be at…

That’s not a healthy looking bearing:

Nor is this a healthy looking hub:

Realistically it needs a new trailer axle. He’s trying to be cheap and just replace cheap things but nothing will go together because it’s effed. I think he’s going to end up buying a ton of cheap parts that will add up to more than just an axle.

This week another friend messaged that (in his words), “At the age of 32 years old it’s time I learn to change my own oil.” I gave him a parts list for his wife’s Prius and he came over today. Since it’s his car and he’s learning I made him do all the work:

…Right up until 5 quarts of oil were poured into a 3.9 quart engine. 28% too much oil is not ‘just leave it in there’ territory, so that had to come back out:

Valuable lessons were learned and my wife laughed at us.

On a side note, the 12V battery for a Prius C is located under the passenger side rear seat. WTF, Toyota?!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A couple extra feet to the side of a parking space seems like such an obvious requirement for a garage, but there probably haven't been a dozen of them built like that in a normal subdivision this whole loving century. :mad:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Having the second, larger, garage was a HUGE selling point of this house. Of course, now we have six walls to collect poo poo rather than the usual three…

When the Prius left I pulled in the FJ62 in to dry out the interior. It’s been having some intermittent charging issues that I’ve traced back to this bundle of bullshit:

When I bought it that mess was my first suspicion for why it didn’t work. Now’s my chance to do a little cleanup, I guess. That means diving in to remove the remote start that a PO installed using home speaker wire.

It also looks like the stereo may be routed through some of those added wires. loving hell. I’m going to town with snips but I think the dash is going to have to come out.

This is night 1 progress:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Now you've done it :can:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

gently caress aftermarket remote start setups so hard. I've worked on enough cars ruined by those pieces of poo poo, I'd reconsider buying something with one installed unless it was a really special rig. Free electrical gremlins and intermittent problems for the lifetime of your vehicle!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I was digging around for my old 3-hole punch and found a couple paperweights from GIR’s first and second engines:

The concave lifter is from the original engine, the shattered piston is from when a wrist pin let go at 1.6 hours on the rebuild. I’m curious what memento I’ll get from the third engine when I take it out.

Before I got any deeper on the FJ62 I decided to print a copy of the out-of-print factory service manual. I got this far when the laser printer toner ran out:

6,000 pages worth of toner are now on order.

I got most of what I needed, save most of the wiring diagrams. I may be able to get away without those for now. Maybe. If not I’ll use my phone.

It looks like Toyota pulled a page from the British humor (Haynes) books:

Wire harness etc.

I got the dash out:

Stereo came out too, along with most of the steering column pieces, but I was in a small hurry to get the column back together tonight so I wouldn’t forget how.

I did snap a picture of the ignition wiring, and that it looks like somebody once cut all the wires:

No other damage, but the pieces all could have been replaced. It would also explain why the windows all have VIN etching.

I quit for the night after getting the wires repaired. Tomorrow I’m going to replace some dash lights that are burnt out before I attempt putting it all back together. I still need to clean up the battery wiring but hopefully the interior will be back together tomorrow.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Got the FJ62 back together and working again. I only forgot one connection the first time I put the dash back together, and of course it required pulling the whole thing apart again. Now that I know how it’s a 5 minute job to pull and replace the gauge cluster. Here’s the complete pile of remote start wires I removed:

Vehicles always run better when you remove that much wiring from behind the dash, right? :v:

After the dash I tackled the battery connection. This was the alternator wire:

And now the whole thing back together:

Not ideal but this is a parts rig. Any vehicle I plan to keep I’ll just replace the entire wire and add a block along the fender.

It’s amazing how much higher the voltmeter shows now. Go figure.

Now that the ‘cruiser is running again, it’s time to visit our local junkyard ASAP since the city is shutting them down and hauling it all away. They’ve been there forever but the zoning says they now can’t be a junkyard - my house is two streets over and our zoning would allow it. This isn’t a NIMBY thing, all the yard’s neighbors are friends with the guy (and how I was introduced - it’s very much a ‘you have to know them’ situation). Somebody just got a stick up their rear end and doesn’t like them.

This is sitting out front, complete with a jet ski hood:

What LS1? Yes I know it’s probably a truck 5.3; still better than a malaise 350

They have a few ex-mine vehicles, including a couple BJ75s sold without a VIN for non-road-use only.

These things lived a hard life underground; the other one only shows 29,000 km on the odometer. Unfortunately the diesel engines mean basically the only parts I can use are ones I don’t need.

They also have the barest of stripper interiors:

The windows don’t even roll down! The other one had the transfer case permanently locked in low range.

Anybody need a Ford 9” that seems to be set up for a Jeep CJ or possibly Scout?

5x5.5” pattern and there’s a matching front axle of some kind (I didn’t dig it out). I’m curious if it’s locked. I could probably get the set for $100 if someone wanted to barge it south - I’d be happy to do it just to keep things from being scrapped. That goes for anything in the yard; I’ve just been putting together a ‘shopping’ list and am headed back tomorrow to pull stuff with tools.

Lastly, a souvenir:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I have made a terrible mistake and regret it already.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Holy crap, is everybody ok? What happened?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Holy crap, is everybody ok? What happened?

:lol: It’s worse than that.

This is another Land Cruiser; I kind of bought it by accident.

We were at the junkyard yesterday pulling some pieces off other Toyotas, I was talking with the yard owner about wanting some pieces off this one, and he said I could have the whole thing. At the end of the day I went to square up for parts and he was eating dinner; I told his wife we hadn’t agreed on a price yet and he yelled “$100 for everything!” I gave her the $100 and she said “You even got your Land Cruiser, too!” “Uh…What?”

Apparently the $100 even included delivery. He claims it runs great “but don’t put too much gas in the tank because it just leaks back out”.

I’m really glad I don’t have an HOA and also that my wife hasn’t murdered me yet. Yet.

Edit: Here are some more pictures:

I’m sure most of that will buff right out but there’s some bondo work that will need to be fixed.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 19, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I bet an engine hoist would help with that roof dent.

…oh.

I think I figured out why I can’t inflate this tire:

Somehow they dragged it over here on that.

No matter, we’ll get this thing dragged into the shop even with a flat tire:

Now, where to put jack stands?

Hm.

:stonklol:

Well, at least we got the new project inside today.

Doesn’t look half bad from that angle. Maybe I can flip it on BaT?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Can you chop the body off behind the cab and just turn it into a tray back?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

This thing is proper hosed. The hood is salvageable and that’s about it. All the rest of the body is done and the frame is brie behind the transfer case. It’s not solid enough to be Swiss.

Thankfully most of what I want is covered in a thick layer of grease and oil sludge.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus I have never seen a LC so hosed rust wise in my life.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Not a lot of time today but did have a small victory. I pulled back the wooden side paneling a PO screwed to the body and spotted the factory Toyota jack.

It’s a little hard to access in the factory mount but I figured out that the PO did a crustom mod that allows it to fall out the bottom of the quarter panel:

Some PB Blaster to loosen things up…

…and it works!

These little jacks are awesome. No hydraulics so they won’t leak down and they lift surprisingly high. Unfortunately I now have two of them without handles and none with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Advent Horizon posted:

I bet an engine hoist would help with that roof dent.

…oh.

I never wanted to know what spicy curry exiting via my nose felt like, you rear end in a top hat. :argh: note to self: don't eat Indian food while reading this thread...

You can at least save most of the remaining glass, right?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

4 windows are broken and the windshield is cracked. I’m pretty sure those side windows are the only structural part left back there; when we pulled it into the garage everything was flexing so much I’m surprised they didn’t pop.

It looks like this thread is going to cost me some money. Anybody want to road trip SLC-Spokane-Seattle in September?

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 21, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Not a lot going on, just slowly starting the teardown. Got the hood off; it’s by far the nicest panel on the body. I’m keeping that.

I had a mental block on how terrible smogged carburetors are…

Everything connected to the engine that you can see is smog stuff. The exhaust manifold is directly below the carburetor but completely hidden behind crap.

Started taking the dash out; scored quite a few nice switches and a bunch of the screws that always seem to be missing:

Biggest score of the night was the rear dome light. My FJ62 is missing that light and somehow this wasn’t destroyed in all that mangled rear end:

It’s kind of weird stripping a vehicle you don’t intend to put back together. Bag and tag everything, but cut all the wires after the plug. Busted bolts just get left there with a ‘gently caress it’ comment. All the detritus you would normally clean out before putting it back together gets left so you don’t have to sweep it off the floor. Greasy hands get wiped on the moldy upholstery.

I’ve been told there are some people in town rebuilding an FJ60 that want some of the front end. I was sent pictures and it’s an ‘87 that I almost bought for parts last year. I’m glad to hear it’s being loved instead of parted out; that one has a future and this poor thing does not.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Help my Toyota has sprung a leak and is letting out all the rust!

Had to make a tool run, of course, and a guy behind me in line saw this combination and commented “You must have something stuck”.

Yes, I’ve had a lot of stuck stuff. Quite a few bolts have broken, but I’ve only had to drill one so far. Kroil really does work wonders, which is important when poo poo is caked in this much crap:

I wonder when the steering arm nut torque was last checked?

When I pulled the shifter out I realized I have a ton of transmission shifter dust caps laying around:

That fits perfectly.

This is a normal color for coolant, right?

That tub was clean when I started draining ‘coolant’ into it. I would not be surprised if the block is trashed, which would be a real shame :(

Here’s where we called it for the night:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Advent Horizon posted:

That tub was clean when I started draining ‘coolant’ into it. I would not be surprised if the block is trashed, which would be a real shame :(

:stonklol: Yikes, I'm assuming you were planning on at least a partial rebuild?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

:stonklol: Yikes, I'm assuming you were planning on at least a partial rebuild?

If I use this block it will probably be to build a ‘2FE’, where you mount the block of a 2F under the head and fuel injection system of a 3FE. I don’t have any real plans to do that, but if I need a rebuilt engine for some reason it would cost about the same and give me more power. Assuming this block doesn’t have a freeze damage crack somewhere, of course.

Today was a lot less visually impressive than yesterday, but we did score a free dessert at a long-closed Red Robin!

Most of the day was spent taking things apart/out to learn how it works (like the windshield - that was a good learning experience) or tearing the entire freaking dash out…

…to get to this little bastard:

Note that the steering column mounts under the pedal box.

The reason that thing is so valuable is because you need the 1985-87 pedal box if you’re doing a manual transmission swap in an FJ62. I’ve read, many times, that the job is basically ‘bolt-in’ and easy. I’m here to tell you, friends, that it’s really two jobs: one installing the transmission and another installing the drat clutch pedal. Of the two, installing the transmission itself is simpler.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Wooof that's at least 3 Sockington's of rust there

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You know a car has proper rust when the actual foot pedals have chunks missing!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Last night my neighbor, who I must re-iterate again is WAY too nice to me, called me over to ask if I wanted his old espresso machine. Free. He just upgraded to one that can steam and do shots at the same time so this one was surplus. While I was over there he casually commented “You know I have a full machine shop, right?”

He must be the devil because I am going to end up owing him my soul.

To top it off, the other reason he called me over was to discuss what it would take to completely dissolve out neighborhood covenants.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wooof that's at least 3 Sockington's of rust there

It’s actually worse than it looks. The whole body is separating at the floor. I’m going to remove the rear axle and suspension before I pull it back out because I think it will roll better on the hoist with less weight holding it down.

Tomarse posted:

You know a car has proper rust when the actual foot pedals have chunks missing!

It makes sense, though - you walk across salted sidewalks and then hold your shoe against the pedal while the heater thaws the snow you tracked in. Both pedals should have pads, anyway, so with a little time in the electrolysis tank and some zinc paint (plus new pads) these should look and last a long time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

To top it off, the other reason he called me over was to discuss what it would take to completely dissolve out neighborhood covenants.
Did he watch John Oliver last night too? :D

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Garmin Mini 2 arrived today, dang this thing is small:

Got it entirely hidden behind the rearview mirror:

And a sample video (with sound removed because I have terrible taste in music):

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Advent Horizon posted:

And a sample video (with sound removed because I have terrible taste in music):

https://i.imgur.com/NqgAdfj.gifv

quoting so i can see it

e: drat that actually looks really good for that size. guess its worth splashing out the hundred bucks or whatever

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What about a 2F-TE :heysexy:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Ferremit posted:

What about a 2F-TE :heysexy:

Find me a set of those Aussie turbo manifolds and I’ll do it. I know they exist, I’ve seen plenty of pictures.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I almost got that, but went for a Viofo instead. Kinda wishing I'd gone with the Garmin after seeing that, it's much easier to hide and the video isn't that bad.

Can't play videos back on the Viofo without an external power supply (and I didn't leave enough slack in the headliner to pull enough cable out to detach it for playback :doh:), so it may as well not have a screen.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Update: I have barely gotten any vehicle stuff done in the last two weeks because we’ve been building a shed to hold the garbage cans. That will free up a bunch of space in the shop and also make it smell better.

Don’t let anyone tell you that a truck is necessary for hauling lumber.

I did salvage the rear dome light from the FJ60 and mount it into the FJ62, along with some really nice full LED conversions (not just bulbs) from Odd Iron Offroad:

I’ve been fiddling with one of the dash vents, it’s fine when ‘open’:

But both flaps ‘close’ to one side:

I’m not quite sure how to fix that. It kind of looks like it’s been that way since new.

Today the truck got new shoes; the old ones were from 2008 so it was time. They really didn’t have a lot of wear, though:

Yes, that’s a sticker from when they were new. I’m glad to have new tires as one of the old ones had a sidewall puncture that I’d plugged years ago - that plug was on my mind every time I took a turn at speed.

RWL Supremacy.

I ordered the tires from Costco Sunday and they arrived Tuesday; that means they must have air freighted the set and didn’t charge me. A+ service, will buy tires from Costco again. Who am I kidding, I buy everything at Costco

And, lastly, you all are are a bunch of bad influences. The title for another project is in the mail and I’m flying down to Salt Lake City next month to pick it up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Advent Horizon posted:

And, lastly, you all are are a bunch of bad influences. The title for another project is in the mail and I’m flying down to Salt Lake City next month to pick it up.
:getin:

As for the vent, are the two 'halves' stuck together or something? Wonder if someone with a 3d printer could make a replacement.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

As for the vent, are the two 'halves' stuck together or something? Wonder if someone with a 3d printer could make a replacement.

You probably could 3D print one but it’s pretty darn complicated.

The two halves are on a pin through the vent; I first tried pounding that out:

Then I realized that the shutters were supposed to slide on the pin but weren’t. I’ve been putting a bunch of penetrating oil down the pin and worked them loose this much so far:

Worst-case scenario, I only ‘need’ 2 of these and I have 4. Land Cruiser dash vents were a standard size with 2 shuttered and 2 open. You can swap the shuttered ones off a parts vehicle into the open spaces so there are 4 shuttered, that’s what I’m working on. It’s 100% not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Advent Horizon posted:

It’s 100% not necessary.

When has that stopped anyone here?